• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

2 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

For the sake of your (and everyone else’s) property insurance rates, we better hope we get a few tranquil years in a row….  Already seeing 20-35% increases this year, with more likely on the way in the years to come because of the last 3+ years.

In the past few years parts of Nashville to the north of it has been like a tornado magnet,we havent had one here since 2020.Best area of severe though has always been along the TN/MS/AL border

But yes,home insurance has certainly spiked up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

For the sake of your (and everyone else’s) property insurance rates, we better hope we get a few tranquil years in a row….  Already seeing 20-35% increases this year, with more likely on the way in the years to come because of the last 3+ years.

No kidding. Mine spiked even though I've never had a claim and have had the same insurance company since 1986. 

• Like 2

Sorry for the mass dump, I have been sitting on these a few days.  This is the Euro control 7d map for the 19-26th.  That might be a bit extreme!  7 day departures at -23F below normal (departures and not actual temps)!!!  LOL.  But models have been keying on this timeframe for several weeks.  Now that we are starting to see a bit better, I feel more comfortable with the share.  Does this verify?  IDK, but they are fun to look at....

Screen_Shot_2024-02-04_at_3.44.33_PM.png

• Like 1

I had all of these on deck last night, but wanted to see 24 more hours of model runs.  There is not guarantee any of the above is reality, but modeling is leaning strong towards cold(maybe very cold) solutions.  One thing which is showing up right now is a VERY strong -NAO which tends to be colder(less likely to hook into the SE ridge) during later winter.  When we start to see California get slammed, that is a decidedly Nino signal.  Maybe we are about to see the final breaths of Nino, but it is the perfect time of the year for it.

11 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Below are the lead analogs to the extended maps.  I "think the time to watch will be Feb20-28 and possible beyond.

Day 8-14 CPC analogs

Screen_Shot_2024-02-04_at_3.42.12_PM.png

March 1970 saw a 9" snowfall in Middle TN

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I'm always amazed that they don't post blizzard warnings for the Sierra. I've never seen one at Mammoth. Their winter storm warning says snowfall in excess of 3 inches per hour will cause whiteout conditions, and winds will be 45+ and stronger gusts. 

What kind of actual melted water precip are we talking?  That is just an insane amount of water.   If that was rain, that would be a monsoon.

7 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

This updates in our afternoon each day.But the ensembles are pretty clustered D5 going back into the WP,then by D10 about to be or getting into the WH so we might have to wait until the last week of Feb to get colder it seems like to me

ECMWF-Charts (23).png

The mean has been pretty consistent with bringing the MJO into around phase 8 today and is even just as consistent the last few days with the stopping point.It's having a hard time in the WP.yesterday it was fairly clustered by day 5,not as much today

ECMWF-Charts (24).png

Well I mowed my yard for the first time this year.  Truly remarkable how green it is.  Sadly it appears the cold damaged & maybe even killed some of my shrubs that I just planted. Sigh.  Today was absolutely picture perfect. 

What kind of shrubs?

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

Is 5 to 8 BN enough in the valley?

Yes, on the ensemble 30 day map further above.  That means there are likely colder shots embedded in the valley.  For example, TRI finished only -1F for 31 days during January.  Even -5 for a week is cold during Feb.  But for sure, Feb is not mid Jan.   Sun angles work against us and nighttime snows are preferable. Also, those temps are cold for a d10-15 ensemble as ensembles wash out colder and warmer solutions.  They are rarely colder than that at this range.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

The map you quoted me at is the wind reversal.To be a major SSWE you still need the temps at 10hpa to rise around 25 degrees,this is probably the easiest site to read the temps,there is nothing happening right now as the temps look steady the last couple days

https://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/

Climate-System-Monitoring-TCC (1).png

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic