Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium-Long Range Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

29 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I can’t take credit for the phase 7 snow analysis. I believe that was from Eric Webb and specifically was addressing NC, possibly only at Raleigh. Also, I can’t recall whether or not Eric was looking only at El Niño cases.

My big thing in recent years of MJO analyses for the SE has been to harp on the tendency for cold and wintry wx to favor weak MJO: just outside, near, or inside the circle. For example, off the top of my head I recall discovering that every major ATL ZR and IP (as far back as MJO charts go, which is mid 1970s) has been when the MJO was weak. I’m sure that streak will end at some point as the sample size isn’t large (I think it is only 8), but OTOH it makes sense that it would favor weak since weak tends to be colder than strong. Also, I wasn’t looking specifically at the TN Valley, which may be quite different.

Do you have a link for the MJO charts back to the mid-70s?

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Phase 7 in Feb = BN heights from coast to coast over the southern half of the country and appears to feature a -NAO.

This is from NOAA fwiw for JFM averaged out for temperatures: phase 7 near normal to temperatures (within 2F) but that’s for those three months combined and also aren’t heights:

combined_image.png

• Like 4

I'm hoping the convection fires up in central pacific so we can perhaps get back to colder and stormier. I guess the consensus is it won't get cold at the earliest until mid February and if true, the clock is ticking for sure by then! Hopefully it will come in earlier if it happens 

8 minutes ago, John1122 said:

February El Nino MJO Phase 7.

JaZ2Hdv.gif

Thanks for posting this. I need to also add that the maps I posted are for all ENSO rather than just El Niño, which itself tends to have lower heights in the S US especially in Feb.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

I'm hoping the convection fires up in central pacific so we can perhaps get back to colder and stormier. I guess the consensus is it won't get cold at the earliest until mid February and if true, the clock is ticking for sure by then! Hopefully it will come in earlier if it happens 

Mid Feb is still plenty early enough to potentially result in a several week long period dominated by cold and periods of wintry precip, which has occurred in the SE US during a good number of El Ninos. The extended models are targeting the 3 weeks from mid Feb through early Mar.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Much as i gave up on the MJO this morning i'm much more of a skeptic once again where the MJO will be at.Seems more Euro ensembles today are more on the faster side like the velocity has been showing

ECMWF-Charts (6).png

Tropical-Monitoring-North-Carolina-Institute-for-Climate-Studies (19).png

Would that be more favorable for a quicker return to cold and stormy if that happens?

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

I can’t take credit for the phase 7 snow analysis. I believe that was from Eric Webb and specifically was addressing NC, possibly only at Raleigh. Also, I can’t recall whether or not Eric was looking only at El Niño cases.

My big thing in recent years of MJO analyses for the SE has been to harp on the tendency for cold and wintry wx to favor weak MJO: just outside, near, or inside the circle. For example, off the top of my head I recall discovering that every major ATL ZR and IP (as far back as MJO charts go, which is mid 1970s) has been when the MJO was weak. I’m sure that streak will end at some point as the sample size isn’t large (I think it is only 8), but OTOH it makes sense that it would favor weak since weak tends to be colder than strong. Also, I wasn’t looking specifically at the TN Valley, which may be quite different.

Yeah, my mistake there. i think may of been discussed in same thread. It was Webb about the MJO 7 deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

Thanks for posting this. I need to also add that the maps I posted are for all ENSO rather than just El Niño, which itself tends to have lower heights in the S US especially in Feb.

Yeah, that was the point I was making in my original post regarding Ph 7 being different during Nino that I thought you had researched. Makes sense when looking at the typical Nino 500 mb Pattern really. Quite probable the reason p 7 shows as slightly warmer in the east in the full MJO Chart. Nino Years would scale back the Temps from what would be if they weren't included. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying this will happen or will be politically correct,but the pattern does have some resemblence to Feb 2021.Once again this is not a forecast :)

Overview

An Arctic airmass spread across Middle Tennessee from Thursday February 11 through Sunday February 14, 2021, bringing very cold temperatures in the teens and 20s along with lengthy periods of freezing drizzle. This led to ice forming on elevated surfaces such as trees and power lines, as well as bridges, overpasses, and some roadways. As a major winter storm brought additional freezing rain, sleet, and snow to the area from Sunday evening February 14 into Monday February 15, 2021, the previous ice combined with the new ice, sleet, and snow to cause significant ice storm damage across parts of east-central Middle Tennessee, as well as create massive travel disruptions areawide. Locations from Giles and Lincoln Counties northeastward to Pickett and northern Fentress Counties received anywhere from 0.5" to over 1" of ice accretion from the combination of the weekend freezing drizzle plus new freezing rain. Numerous trees and power lines were downed in many counties, resulting in tens of thousands of power outages, with the worst damage affecting Lincoln, Bedford, Coffee, Cannon, Putnam, Overton, and northern Fentress Counties. Elsewhere, 2 to 3 inches of combined sleet and snow along with the frigid temperatures caked most surfaces in a thick layer of ice, with travel coming to a standstill across the northwestern half of Middle Tennessee - including the Nashville metro area.

https://www.worldclimateservice.com/2021/01/22/mjo-forecast-and-stratospheric-warming/

• Like 3

I’m still amazed at the amount of snow on the ground in and around Knox Co. You still need 4 wheel drive to get around some roads, especially those that are on the north side of a ridge. As of yesterday I still have 4-5” in the shade of my backyard. Parts of my driveway still have a couple inches. Probably the third “once in a lifetime” snow event for me up to this point and I’m almost 50.

• Like 4

Euro Weeklies look right on track for cold to return around the 14th, give or take 48 hours at this range.  The control is bitterly cold around the 20th, and the CFSv2 has a similar signal.  Most global ensembles are showing the initial transition around d15-16.  Remember, transition does not mean the day we get cold.  Should be 4-7 days after that initial transition.   Looks like a similar window (Against mid Feb norms and not mid Jan) to the one we just departed.  A very 95-96 or 14-15 cycle of cold.  MJO is ruling the roost and it is super squirrelly right now.  We should see opportunities with this, and it looks centered slightly more eastward.  JB mentioned that adjustment and that looks to be the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Euro Weeklies look right on track for cold to return around the 14th, give or take 48 hours at this range.  The control is bitterly cold around the 20th, and the CFSv2 has a similar signal.  Most global ensembles are showing the initial transition around d15-16.  Remember, transition does not mean the day we get cold.  Should be 4-7 days after that initial transition.   Looks like a similar window (Against mid Feb norms and not mid Jan) to the one we just departed.  A very 95-96 or 14-15 cycle of cold.  MJO is ruling the roost and it is super squirrelly right now.  We should see opportunities with this, and it looks centered slightly more eastward.  JB mentioned that adjustment and that looks to be the case.

Hopefully, we get a surprise before then. Even a 1-2 inch deal would dull the 2 week snow drought. Who knows, maybe the SSW induced blocking will speed things up a bit. 

8 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

I'm not saying this will happen or will be politically correct,but the pattern does have some resemblence to Feb 2021.Once again this is not a forecast :)

Overview

An Arctic airmass spread across Middle Tennessee from Thursday February 11 through Sunday February 14, 2021, bringing very cold temperatures in the teens and 20s along with lengthy periods of freezing drizzle. This led to ice forming on elevated surfaces such as trees and power lines, as well as bridges, overpasses, and some roadways. As a major winter storm brought additional freezing rain, sleet, and snow to the area from Sunday evening February 14 into Monday February 15, 2021, the previous ice combined with the new ice, sleet, and snow to cause significant ice storm damage across parts of east-central Middle Tennessee, as well as create massive travel disruptions areawide. Locations from Giles and Lincoln Counties northeastward to Pickett and northern Fentress Counties received anywhere from 0.5" to over 1" of ice accretion from the combination of the weekend freezing drizzle plus new freezing rain. Numerous trees and power lines were downed in many counties, resulting in tens of thousands of power outages, with the worst damage affecting Lincoln, Bedford, Coffee, Cannon, Putnam, Overton, and northern Fentress Counties. Elsewhere, 2 to 3 inches of combined sleet and snow along with the frigid temperatures caked most surfaces in a thick layer of ice, with travel coming to a standstill across the northwestern half of Middle Tennessee - including the Nashville metro area.

https://www.worldclimateservice.com/2021/01/22/mjo-forecast-and-stratospheric-warming/

That would be amazing to see anything remotely close to that scenario lol. We were lucky to be on the cold side of the storm. It would be a great way to end winter. I was living in Jonesboro ar then and we got between 11-12 inches snow between both events and snowing in the teens! Places se of little rock ar saw close to 25 inches!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

Hopefully, we get a surprise before then. Even a 1-2 inch deal would dull the 2 week snow drought. Who knows, maybe the SSW induced blocking will speed things up a bit. 

Maybe some wrap-around snow.  As Jeff noted, wall-to-wall cold during January for 14 days is unlikely.  That said, this is definitely a warm-warm-warm upcoming time frame on the horizon.  What comes after Feb 1 could be toasty.  Fortunately, it should be only a couple of weeks after that...and then we are back in the freezer.

• Like 1

Not trying to wish my life away, but I am pretty much flushing the next three weeks in terms of looking for winter.  So, the end of week 3 is where my eyes are for now....

Week 4 of the Weeklies...control and then ensemble....days 21-28.  You can see the 18z GEFS begin to erode the eastern ridge.  The Euro Weeklies basically slide a decent trough in there by the 14th.  At that point, we should see an absolutely torrid cold front race across the country around that timeframe - give our take 48 hours.  Now, this is still waaaay out there.  It could change, and probably will.  The MJO is trying to dance around in 6-7-8.  I think if we can get the MJO headed towards 8, the floodgates(of cold) are gonna be open.  It looks like the EPO is the driver w/ a -NAO possible accentuating that.  My guess is the stratwarm stuff will do about what it did last week.  It will be a warmer air mass than last week likely as it is a month later than last week.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-24_at_8.52.01_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-01-24_at_8.51.40_PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Maybe some wrap-around snow.  As Jeff noted, wall-to-wall cold during January for 14 days is unlikely.  That said, this is definitely a warm-warm-warm upcoming time frame on the horizon.  What comes after Feb 1 could be toasty.  Fortunately, it should be only a couple of weeks after that...and then we are back in the freezer.

I guess depending on what model is correct on the mjo progression. I wouldn't mind a return to winter, especially if it's not cold and dry. Just less cold with more snow/ice opportunities 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Itryatgolf70 said:

I guess depending on what model is correct on the mjo progression. I wouldn't mind a return to winter, especially if it's not cold and dry. Just less cold with more snow/ice opportunities 

I don't think a single model shows the same thing.  LOL.  It looks like a squirrel went berserk in the First Self-Righteous Church In that sleepy little town of Pascagoula.  

As for a dry spell.  I won't ever rule it out.  Cold and dry is not abnormal.  But the STJ is absolutely ripping right now.  Should be good in that regard.

• Like 2

This is this week compared to week 4(well days 20-27...run is still going) of the GEFS extended.  This is a signal for a pretty nice cold shot from this range.  It will change some, but worth noting.  When the entire continent is cold...source regions are good.  Send the STJ into that....and could be interesting.

Screen_Shot_2024-01-24_at_9.04.17_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2024-01-24_at_9.04.09_PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic