Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

So far today it definitely has trended worse overall. Now let's see what happens when the cutter moves out and if the models can resolve any minor details. 

Not a great day in general for snow chances. Hopefully we have some good changes tonight. 

Looking like an all out blizzard for the game at Buffalo. Can't imagine those snow rates with the Arctic air fetch over record warm lake Erie. 

It’s January 13th, no reason to say winter’s done.  Will we reach seasonal average maybe not, but there is a ton of time of decent storms.  There are always lean years.  The last decade caused averages to go up so that obviously means winters were better than normal.  We’re paying for those now.  We’ll get ours again, and if you don’t believe that, then I feel bad for you.

1 minute ago, Rd9108 said:

Ride the snowiest model 

XAoBSth.png

Honestly, to put a positive spin on it, rooting for the first wave to be the focus and come in stronger is our best hope to steal a few inches. Thats been the trend, this is more of a Monday night "event" now because of that.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the end of week storm either. We need the NS to dig deeper and get the storm going below us. Still to many variables to write anything off. 

After that, the cold look breaks down, but late Jan / early Feb still looks like we will have a reload of a workable pattern. By then a "great" winter is off the table if we fail to that point, but a good storm or two and getting close to average not out of the question. Backloaded winter given Nino climo was always the expectation. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It’s January 13th, no reason to say winter’s done.  Will we reach seasonal average maybe not, but there is a ton of time of decent storms.  There are always lean years.  The last decade caused averages to go up so that obviously means winters were better than normal.  We’re paying for those now.  We’ll get ours again, and if you don’t believe that, then I feel bad for you.

We basically said the same thing. :lol: I fall into that trap myself sometimes, looking ahead on the models you get in your head January is over, but in reality it's only half way through. Plenty of time for something to come up in the medium or short range too. Sure you can identify favorable longwave patterns from 10-14 days out for when a storm might come together, but in reality its rare a storm past 7 days happens as modeled from that range. 

37 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Honestly, to put a positive spin on it, rooting for the first wave to be the focus and come in stronger is our best hope to steal a few inches. Thats been the trend, this is more of a Monday night "event" now because of that.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the end of week storm either. We need the NS to dig deeper and get the storm going below us. Still to many variables to write anything off. 

After that, the cold look breaks down, but late Jan / early Feb still looks like we will have a reload of a workable pattern. By then a "great" winter is off the table if we fail to that point, but a good storm or two and getting close to average not out of the question. Backloaded winter given Nino climo was always the expectation. 

First wave maybe thebbest bet looks like NAM will be a hit this run.

18 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

We basically said the same thing. :lol: I fall into that trap myself sometimes, looking ahead on the models you get in your head January is over, but in reality it's only half way through. Plenty of time for something to come up in the medium or short range too. Sure you can identify favorable longwave patterns from 10-14 days out for when a storm might come together, but in reality its rare a storm past 7 days happens as modeled from that range. 

Yeah, and a lot of times surprise events do pop up.  It can happen.  I think too many people hinge the entire winter on 6"+ storms and historic storms.  That's not the Pittsburgh climate. We are and most always are a nickel and dime climate.

Wonder if any snow squalls pop up with any arctic fronts.  Another event that isn't well modelled.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, and a lot of times surprise events do pop up.  It can happen.  I think too many people hinge the entire winter on 6"+ storms and historic storms.  That's not the Pittsburgh climate. We are and most always are a nickel and dime climate.

Wonder if any snow squalls pop up with any arctic fronts.  Another event that isn't well modelled.

On the squalls thing, HRRR is still on steroids with the fropa tomorrow. Drops afternoon temps into the single digits and puts down a quick inch.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

On the squalls thing, HRRR is still on steroids with the fropa tomorrow. Drops afternoon temps into the single digits and puts down a quick inch.

Something to consider for sure.  HRRR isn't too bad usually.  Single digits seems a little extreme for today, but maybe, tomorrow's high is only supposed to be around 21, so maybe.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Something to consider for sure.  HRRR isn't too bad usually.  Single digits seems a little extreme for today, but maybe, tomorrow's high is only supposed to be around 21, so maybe.

HRRR handled the Arctic front in Dec 2022 very well. Looked at it, saw afternoon temps around -5 or -6 or so and dismissed it. Then it happened.