Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

38 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

That's why I  have a disdain for ensemble forecasting, short, medium, or long. They change as much as the operational, group think with the operationals, and are hit and miss like the operationals. And "yes", I  really do understand how to use them. The best you can say imho(not that anybody cares) is they are a little better in 7-10 days+ periods. The extended EPS & GEFS...lol. 

Now you are speaking my language though disdain may be harsh for my thought.  I do not like them treated as better than op's vs. to help verify ops. 

From CTP…

”A deepening low pressure system lifting out of the Gulf Coast will track across Delaware and the southern tip of New Jersey Monday night into early Tuesday bringing a Moderate to heavy snowfall across much of Central and Northern PA, while a longer period of rain for the first half of the storm leads to a slushy coating to few inches across the region east of Interstate 83 and south of the PA Turnpike.”

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Despite being told it’s over last night & that me & apparently CTP were wishcasting…..

The 12z GFS had Warning snow for the Harrisburg area on to the north.

IMG_5096.png

If we haven’t had a storm named after Blizz yet this year I’m nominating this one! Keep up the good fight Blizz, most of us love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

12z Euro slight improvement for the LSV over its last couple of runs, but still has less than latest GFS & Canadian in the LSV.

The rest of CTP further north & west of Harrisburg still do well this run.

IMG_5103.png

IMG_5105.png

The Euro looks close to me to having a bit more snow in the LSV with the 540 line crashing with heavier precip still overhead & the low position offshore as of 12z Tuesday.

The short range higher res models should help to resolve this area closer to storm time.

I’ll probably draw up a snowmap for this sometime tomorrow, most likely after I see 12z guidance. I don’t do the “first guess”, “first final guess”, “second final guess”, “actual final guess”, etc haha. 

Where am I at with this currently? I think I-80 corridor and a bit north of there is favored for the big totals right now and big totals being an 8-12” type with some scattered higher totals. This is gonna hit hard where the banding sets up. And that’s really the big thing about this ticking north. Dynamics with this thing transferring to a rapidly deepening coastal and likely heavy banded precip is enough to snow wherever in CTP. But if primary climbs too far before that occurs then the best banded precip is north… which is kind of where the models headed the last couple runs (esp yesterday). 

This is my take on headlines right now, I drew out where I think advisories probably should be. The 6” line is probably somewhere within these question mark counties.. but I’m not sure if it’s going to cover enough of those counties to warrant a warning yet.. hence the question mark. 

1037653572_CTPmap.png.36a541e073506f4d2e8e4cd727b5fea7.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

12z GEFS & 12z GEPS both brought the snow line further south than their previous run.

Both now get 4.7 to Harrisburg by Tuesday evening.

IMG_5102.png

IMG_5101.png

The 12z EPS joined the other 12z ensembles & also has higher snow amounts for the LSV with now getting the 4 inch line to Harrisburg.

This is is best EPS run since early yesterday.

IMG_5106.png

Just looking at Gefs and Geps and the MA long range thread. What a disaster those weeklies and ensembles have been, from a +PNA to -PNA and losing the -NAO to some weak higher pressures. Of course, when they started showing that ridging and warmer temps I was worried about, they look to hold that or some other snow destroying pattern. Unless that system on the Icon is real next weekend, we'll be lucky to get a March fluke, assuming the SSW is even real. Icon has the hot hand, so I'm putting what few eggs I  have left after throwing so many at the wall this season in the Icon's basket.

• Sad 1

Just looking at Gefs and Geps and the MA long range thread. What a disaster those weeklies and ensembles have been, from a +PNA to -PNA and losing the -NAO to some weak higher pressures. Of course, when they started showing that ridging and warmer temps I was worried about, they look to hold that or some other snow destroying pattern. Unless that system on the Icon is real next weekend, we'll be lucky to get a March fluke, assuming the SSW is even real. Icon has the hot hand, so I'm putting what few eggs I  have left after throwing so many at the wall this season in the Icon's basket.

How can you believe anything in the long range? Bad or good….its not worth getting worked up over either way. I’m going to say we get a pleasant surprise soon. Just have a feeling.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AccuChris said:

Hour 48 on HRRR has storm ending in CTP and wrapping up in eastern PA.  This would be very nice if it could verify.  Essentially dumps 2-5” for many in under 4 hours

IMG_4297.png

I'd feel a whole lot better if the Nam twins followed suit.

• Like 1