Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, here’s a question…

Has anyone thought maybe the Pivotal maps are wrong?

Why would commercial clients & hobbyists pay good money for access to maps if they weren’t accurate model output?

They've always been consistent with Ncep and Tt. But I think there may be another explanation.  Your maps say 3k HRRR while Pivotal don't.  That may be the reason.

19 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Lol, here’s a question…

Has anyone thought maybe the Pivotal maps are wrong?

Why would commercial clients & hobbyists pay good money for access to maps if they weren’t accurate model output?

I do have an honest, factual point to what you're saying.

Virtually every single snow map that was posted for yesterday's event (I went back and looked at every one of them, even though it pained me) had Lanco getting between 4 up to yes including, 7" of snow. Most Lanco ACTUAL snowfall totals were between 2.5 and 3.5". That is not an uncommon occurrence. The vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of time...what actually accumulates is less than those snow maps.

Are there exceptions? Sure. But they're just that - exceptions. Which is reason #27 why I don't like snow maps. They are usually too inflated. 

I believe I'm not speaking incorrectly here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Virtually every single snow map that was posted for yesterday's event (I went back and looked at every one of them, even though it pained me) had Lanco getting between 4 up to yes including, 7" of snow. Most Lanco ACTUAL snowfall totals were between 2.5 and 3.5". That was not an uncommon occurrence. The vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of time...what actually accumulates is less than those snow maps.

Are there exceptions? Sure. But they're just that - exceptions. Which is reason #27 why I don't like snow maps. They are usually too inflated. 

Personally, I  love the snowfall maps. Sure, they're often inaccurate, but so are the forecasts and most of us know that there's no guarantee as to their accuracy.  But I get what you're saying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Virtually every single snow map that was posted for yesterday's event (I went back and looked at every one of them, even though it pained me) had Lanco getting between 4 up to yes including, 7" of snow. Most Lanco ACTUAL snowfall totals were between 2.5 and 3.5". That is not an uncommon occurrence. The vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of time...what actually accumulates is less than those snow maps.

I agree, most of the time snow maps are slightly over inflated in general across Pivotal, WB, etc.

The various models “spin the wheel” for the jackpot areas run to run.

I like them for a general idea of a range for expectations. I’ve learned to throw out the higher end outliers, but the low end outlier is often not the best.
Just as most things in life in general, the real answer usually ends up in the middle.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In fairness @Blizzard of 93 - MU's Kyle Elliott agrees with you. :) (It wouldn't be right for me not to post this after my rebuttal) 

Very nice!

I also read his pattern overview that he put out last week & it was a very detailed, yet easy to understand outlook. 
I will look forward to reading his work moving forward.

• Like 1

I was looking in the MA forum and there are a few forecast maps posted from tv mets and Nws. I know some will disagree, but from what I've seen, they are all too high. It's my humble opinion that because the Monday storm produced on the high side of forecasts, especially in the DC/BALT area, mets are going on the high side for this event. I saw the those local tv mets down there do it when I  lived there for 60+ years just like they always liked to lowball early season minor events. 

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I was looking in the MA forum and there are a few forecast maps posted from tv mets and Nws. I know some will disagree, but from what I've seen, they are all too high. It's my humble opinion that because the Monday storm produced on the high side of forecasts, especially in the DC/BALT area, mets are going on the high side for this event. I saw the those local tv mets down there do it when I  lived there for 60+ years just like they always liked to lowball early season minor events. 

I agree. Some of the tv mets have 3 or 4 inches in DC.  I'm thinking around an inch for DC 1 to 2 for Balt.  Maybe 3 towards the M/D line max.

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Based purely on the Nam, this is really close to something bigger. 4-6 hour difference between this and a general 6-10" event for many imho.

Agreed, definitely more interaction with the coastal this NAM run.

If timing improves, there would be some upside even further back in CTP.