Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Area Discussion

RIC Airport

14 minutes ago, mikeeng92 said:

12z FV3 brings a heavy band of snow this afternoon through the west end. 

Banding is definitely going to be key wherever it sets up.. Again, it’s going to be a big difference within just a few miles.. A couple inches to nothing at all..

By 4pm we should be able to see if we are going to be totally screwed or not…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Banding is definitely going to be key wherever it sets up.. Again it’s going to be a big difference within just a few miles of a few inches to nothing at all..

By 4pm we should be able to know if we are going to be totally screwed or not

Yep, going to need some luck for sure.

Radar looks pretty good in Northern NC. HRRR starting to tick back south.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglesin2011 said:

The fantasy maps? On one or two model runs? 
Comon now, let’s be real …lol

0 to 3 inches has been consistent for awhile now on almost all of the models (for this area)

Expecting anything more then this with this storm is wish-casting …. (I wish this would happen myself) 

This afternoon could still bring an inch or two or nothing…

YET AGAIN lol

I was never expecting 4-6. Let me be clear.  Yesterday, several models began showing   those higher totals. These were the short range models when the storm was a day away. Several models showed higher outputs for three consecutive runs at 3-4+ I wasn’t talking about  fantasy LR  runs or  360 GFS.  Hence why I posted the maps,   Also, why a lot of other posters here showed and posted the exact  same maps I did .  Yeah it was a brief output,  but that’s what we do here. Follow the trends. Good or bad.  I guarantee the next big “potential” storm on horizon, snowfall amounts  will be posted here well before, even if it is “fantasy” That’s the fun of it. 

10 minutes ago, Conway7305 said:

I was never expecting 4-6. Let me be clear.  Yesterday, several models began showing   those higher totals. These were the short range models when the storm was a day away. Several models showed higher outputs for three consecutive runs at 3-4+ I wasn’t talking about  fantasy LR  runs or  360 GFS.  Hence why I posted the maps,   Also, why a lot of other posters here showed and posted the exact  same maps I did .  Yeah it was a brief output,  but that’s what we do here. Follow the trends. Good or bad.  I guarantee the next big “potential” storm on horizon, snowfall amounts  will be posted here well before, even if it is “fantasy” That’s the fun of it. 

100% -and it looks like returns are coming in more south than some of the short term models and even the GFS had it this morning and 0Z last night. You see that @RIC Airport? Or am I having “radar hallucinations”? Haha

11 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

100% -and it looks like returns are coming in more south than some of the short term models and even the GFS had it this morning and 0Z last night. You see that @RIC Airport? Or am I having “radar hallucinations”? Haha

Seeing the same, looks like Danville area is seeing snow make it down per traffic cams so hopefully a good sign for us

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Definitely activity to the south of Richmond. It has that SW to NE orientation, but the band looked to be lifting north. So, I imagine precip should begin in the next couple of hours. Dew points are in the low-mid teens, and temps are in the mid-30s, but this band looks heavy enough to wet bulb us to freezing or below, hopefully. As long as the entire column is below freezing.

And yes, better to see the band forming south of us than right over,@wasnow215.

IMG_1804.thumb.png.56d415bb34fed502ff5b86d9e1fe2e11.png

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sernest14 said:

Seeing the same, looks like Danville area is seeing snow make it down per traffic cams so hopefully a good sign for us

I just tried looking around Emporia, and the roads look wet, but the camera is too grainy to know that it's rain, snow....or even sleet. That is probably what the yellow colors are picking up that way. 

https://www.weatherbug.com/traffic-cam/?latlng=36.7029,-77.5497&camId=430919&fbclid=IwAR1ReRnrZczKGm12u22Y7P1qTxNGyC7b4wQxK8UGrzwAeGBaoHGiip7FqH8

Also, the AWOS appears to be down, lol. 

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=kemv

That band and orientation looks like the GFS from four or five runs ago. Short-term models didn't have that as significant.  Overrunning is a tough thing to predict. Once that Coastal gets going it may push the best forcing further north, quicker than we want.

• Like 2

Snow on the I-64 cameras well South into Newport News almost to the shipyards.

Meanwhile I sit at 44° with partly sunny skies South of the Border on the coast. Not this time for me.

Edit: Friday's system making an abrupt comeback on 12z GFS. That's how Newport News and South can score. Still unlikely but at least there's a chance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Topher said:

Very light snow in northern Newport News.

Now big flakes and sleet 

Dogs first snow since 2021, was in Charleston for a bit, now husband is stationed here for another couple years. 

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Topher said:

Dogs first snow since 2021, was in Charleston for a bit, now husband is stationed here for another couple years. 

Awesome! Glad they got to see some, even if it was brief. Hopefully there is more before this winter is over. 

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Edit: Friday's system making an abrupt comeback on 12z GFS. That's how Newport News and South can score. Still unlikely but at least there's a chance.

It looks nice, but I remain skeptical. The 00Z Euro was better last night, but a lot needs to happen for this to become a meaningful event in our region. But we are still several days away, and things can change. The timing of this is when the pattern starts to relax, which is when the more significant storms tend to happen so at least there is that.

0.thumb.gif.310102a4124586fc05a8e7913ef19b06.gif

575984390_snowregional.thumb.png.517a8bbdc2019cd4488148a153ab16b5.png

Also, I was not overly impressed with the ensembles, although the signal is still there.

788499500_ensradar.thumb.gif.c52878a896478319e6cb0afeb7f737dc.gif

898495252_ensradar2.thumb.gif.25d833ebd367c8932085fe423445f900.gif

We also need a deeper trough and it goes negative so the storm gets pulled in enough. Maybe the 12Z Euro, which is running now, will offer increased support south of 40N. 

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-5698000.thumb.png.078039ea0d20af40668764dd3c87205a.png

• Like 2