area.

As the upper level feature approaches it will induce solid mid
level ascent over the area, over the top of an area already seeing
good isentropic lift along the slope of the arctic airmass. Model
guidance generally shows a range of 0.2 to 0.5" QPF. Forecast
soundings show the entire lower atmosphere below 500 hPa in the
DGZ and saturated. These factors should support extreme snow
ratios of 20-1 or so. This certainly suggests the potential for a
high impact snow event of 4" or greater for most of the CWA.
However, the most recent 12z guidance uniformly decreased expected
totals somewhat. In fact the drier models scarcely showed 2" of
snow accumulation for a lot of the area. While impactful, this
would not be nearly as problematic. This leaves us in a watch and
wait position as some of the forecast uncertainties hopefully
decline over the next day or two. With this in mind, anybody
reading this should prepare now for several days of extreme cold
and possibly travel impacts as well.”
  • Like 1

Hey Everybody!! Been a long time since we've had something good to watch!! Love reading all your posts! Fingers crossed for Tulsa..we've been screwed the last several years! Don't even get me started on that "Magical Snowless Donut Hole" over Tulsa last year! LOL! (Insert facepalm) Hopefully we can all cash in with the cold air in place over the next few weeks! But Gosh...that 64 degrees outside feels pretty darn amazing right now! RIP to my plants tonight!

• Like 3

18z GFS and ICON were both better than I expected after the Euro debacle.  We’ll take it for now.  
I know there’s a lot of talk about suppression pushing it further south.  Maybe this does the typical model NW shift???  Although that seems to happen more with cutters.  Overall happy to see models hold steady-ish and give a middle finger to the Euro. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

18z GFS and ICON were both better than I expected after the Euro debacle.  We’ll take it for now.  
I know there’s a lot of talk about suppression pushing it further south.  Maybe this does the typical model NW shift???  Although that seems to happen more with cutters.  Overall happy to see models hold steady-ish and give a middle finger to the Euro. 

Preach!!!

Edit: Actually, the icon cut totals by about half and dries up central and west OK.

9 minutes ago, ouamber said:

Hey Everybody!! Been a long time since we've had something good to watch!! Love reading all your posts! Fingers crossed for Tulsa..we've been screwed the last several years! Don't even get me started on that "Magical Snowless Donut Hole" over Tulsa last year! LOL! (Insert facepalm) Hopefully we can all cash in with the cold air in place over the next few weeks! But Gosh...that 64 degrees outside feels pretty darn amazing right now! RIP to my plants tonight!

I simply will never forget the snow hole for as long as I live. We had someone here from Mexico for work who had never seen snow, and I promised her she would that night. Then the donut happened. 

Still, I think the floor on this storm is 2 inches, with a really high ceiling of 10.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ouamber said:

Gosh, GFS, Icon, and Canadian look nothing alike for the Sunday/Monday storm! :lol:

To me the GFS appeared to take a step toward the Euro’s 12z run. Who knows what the Canadian was thinking. I guess it wanted to shut down central Arkansas for a couple of weeks. 

• Haha 1

Yeah GFS took a dump too. Not as dramatically as the Euro, but noticeable. 4-6" looks to be the high end versus the widespread 6-12" we were looking at a couple days ago. Only one still going crazy is the Canadian but its focusing a swath of 15-20 inches (Kuchera) way down in Central/Southern AR now. Looks like the moisture is being choked off & shunted to the SE.

And naturally I got new tires and wiper blades. lol

KING GFS! That’s a thing right? 
I don’t care, I’m shouting it from the rooftops, GFS I feel has been very reliable thus far and the most consistent. 

I really just want at least 4 inches. I don’t NEED 8, I just want it really bad. But 4+ keeps me happy.

2 or less makes me sad.

waiting on the NAM.

• Haha 1

To watch two systems in a row fizzle right before my eyes is not unusual around these parts, but depressing nonetheless. Now that the system has trended south, it won't follow recent trends of moving north at the last minute and we will get the stupid cold with nothing white to show for it. 

Recent runs to see if we can identify a consensus or trend.

12Z GFS(Sticking to it's guns)

1705395600-IGz5Rmei9Po.png

12Z Canadian(Much improved over last night's run)

1705417200-3srqtBnwQf0.png

12Z ICON(Double these amounts. An Improvement over this morning and last night's runs)

1705438800-YFM73svaJ0g.png

06Z Euro(Still disrespectful)

1705363200-nMcR3e7fOXU.png

12Z NAM(Still second wave coming)

1705363200-cio1xfzYqqE.png

Final thoughts.

A better trend than last night.

The GFS and NAM seem to be thinking similarly.

The Canadian pulled back from the Euro and looks similar to the ICON

The ICON is a halfway point between the EURO and GFS.

The Euro is all alone.

Overall, I'm happy with this trend compared to where it was going last night.

Not surprised the 06Z Euro looks about the same as last night given it's using the exact same upper air data as the 00Z.

This afternoon's run will be very telling. I hope the Euro caves on it's stubborn, ugly output and falls somewhere in between the GFS/NAM and the ICON/Canadian.

• Like 2