• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2023/2024

bwt3650

I see that the BTV NWS maps have been updated now with some expansion of the Winter Storm Watches and adjustments to the Event Total Snowfall map. There’s also an extensive section of the area forecast discussion dedicated to the upcoming storm, and from the numbers they have there, it looks like totals would be topping out at around 2 feet for the event. That seems to correlate fairly well with the projected accumulations map, since they now have that extensive area of 12-18” shading along the spine, with a touch of 18-24” appearing in the Mansfield area.

08MAR24D.jpg.f49b603d6e032f54d2ac50f2601add42.jpg

08MAR24E.thumb.jpg.e86314b0da162703b4779139d61a49ad.jpg

• Like 2

Based solely on how this winter has unfolded, im unsure if I have enough elevation for accumulating snow. Half of the storms have been snow, and half have been white rain. The maps being posted continually show a jackpot in my area. But past storms that ended up being white rain, the initial maps showed a lot of snow. Guess i just have to wait and see

MTN crusher. MRG snow forecast from Pete

Snow consistency appears pretty wet below 3000 feet during the first part of this event. There is a substantial column of boundary level air indicated to be in the 28-33 degree range on model cross sections through midday Sunday. Keep in mind that heavy wet thump snow can both make travel conditions very treacherous and cause power outages, especially when combined with wind.  Conditions begin to change late Sunday as colder air begins to settle across the high country as the flow becomes northwesterly. This is ultimately what will separate this storm from the pack this year as the setup appears outstanding for a continuation of colder snow across the mountains Sunday evening, night and Monday. The flow looks great and the storm will be slow enough to depart to allow lingering moisture to just hammer the northern Greens with continuous cold snow. Here are my expectations on snow totals period by period. Please keep in mind that this is a very elevation sensitive event and if you're reading from the Champlain Valley, your outcome will be very different and considerably less snowy than the one forecasted for the mountains. 

Saturday Night: Mixed precip changing to snow - thump potential toward dawn. 6-12 inches mostly wet snow 

Sunday Day: Heavy snow early, possible lull midday or afternoon. 3-6 inches mostly wet snow 

Sunday Night: Snow occasionally heavy. 6-12 inches of powder 

Monday: Snow or snow showers. Another 6-12 inches ! 

Total storm accumulations by Monday evening: 21-42 inches 

index (15).png

• Like 1

The Winter Storm Watch that was posted here in our area was converted to a Winter Storm Warning, and various Winter Weather Advisories have been added as well. On the Event Total Snowfall map, the area of 18-24” shading along the local Bolton-Stowe-Smugg’s portion of the spine has expanded. Down here at our site, we’re in the 12-18” shading, and that does correlate well with our point forecast, but depending on the temperatures, that may not be quite representative of accumulations in the valley bottoms. Snowfall intensity will probably factor into accumulations here, but up at elevation, the potential is definitely there for a solid resurfacing of the slopes.

09MAR24A.jpg.1b168c8550b8a87fcd9855523c3a1e79.jpg

09MAR24B.thumb.jpg.c1a088b3ca40bd59bf1ce05fe2aa9c93.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

The Winter Storm Watch that was posted here in our area was converted to a Winter Storm Warning, and various Winter Weather Advisories have been added as well. On the Event Total Snowfall map, the area of 18-24” shading along the local Bolton-Stowe-Smugg’s portion of the spine has expanded. Down here at our site, we’re in the 12-18” shading, and that does correlate well with our point forecast, but depending on the temperatures, that may not be quite representative of accumulations in the valley bottoms. Snowfall intensity will probably factor into accumulations here, but up at elevation, the potential is definitely there for a solid resurfacing of the slopes.

09MAR24A.jpg.1b168c8550b8a87fcd9855523c3a1e79.jpg

09MAR24B.thumb.jpg.c1a088b3ca40bd59bf1ce05fe2aa9c93.jpg

Days and days of upslope over a solid base. Epic stuff up high.  Enjoy the snorkeling 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

The positive snow depth maps are the way to go here to visually see the valleys vs mtns.

HRRR 10:1 showing 1.50”+ QPF as snow.

IMG_8563.thumb.png.c9098eb1c3eec574c10b002227a52153.png

But depth increase of only 5” tells me it’s full on glop at MVL and under 1,000ft.  While the mountains stay 12-24” depth increase.

IMG_8564.thumb.png.ece874912085d82a1126170c6183664b.png

3KM NAM does the same.

IMG_8565.thumb.png.51989810333610a004e505f78b523c16.png

IMG_8566.thumb.png.a0fcd7a2624e3fae8721d408f0d13fb4.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The positive snow depth maps are the way to go here to visually see the valleys vs mtns.

HRRR 10:1 showing 1.50”+ QPF as snow.

But depth increase of only 5” tells me it’s full on glop at MVL and under 1,000ft.  While the mountains stay 12-24” depth increase.

3KM NAM does the same.

Yeah, the positive snow depth maps are definitely helpful and provide some realism – I know you’ve been working to infuse those into storm discussions, and hopefully it helps temper some of the more unrealistic maps that get posted.

Maps can be challenging to use for our site because we’re so tight to the spine (just about in line with it) that the resolution isn’t always there to differentiate this location from the surrounding higher elevations. The base of the Winooski Valley is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile wide here, rising up to ~2,000’ pretty quickly, and then to the 3,000’ to 4,000’ range within a few miles, so resolution is important in differentiating the various elevations.

Another factor is that being so tight to the spine can get this area in on a lot of the forced ascent, resulting in additional accumulations relative to its elevation. Typically what seems to work is to go into events with the assumption that the running forecast for this elevation from something like positive snow depth map is a good baseline, and then sometimes the orographics push accumulations above that level a bit if the setup is appropriate.

• Like 2

Powderfreak, J.Spin-  Appreciate the insightful comments on your local weather, microclimate. I try to apply them when considering my locale (admittedly not in this forum, but 'close") over in the 'Dacks- 3 miles or so from summit of Whiteface- at the very foot of its northern slopes...about 1800' in Franklin County.  Your detail and knowledge is remarkable to a lurker like me... Much respect. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Accidents all over SVT right now, seeing a ton of social media posts.

Yea, roads were crap above 1000’ when I came home about an hour ago. Right now it’s a scalping sleet falling. I’m at 1250’ and looks like about an inch and a half. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Maybe two-tenths so far?  It’s an elevation event above 1K.

I went out around 6:00. 1000’ seems to be about right. The valley here is about 800’ and it was white rain. Here at 1250’ we’ve gone back over to all snow after some sleet. 1.5”. 

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I went out around 6:00. 1000’ seems to be about right. The valley here is about 800’ and it was white rain. Here at 1250’ we’ve gone back over to all snow after some sleet. 1.5”. 

Yeah, not sure why it’s a bad take that the valley won’t get 9”. :lol:

The data has been very stable in showing how this works out.  Biggest gradient from 500-1500ft.