• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2023

41 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I saw and heard it but virtually nothing fell here. Only added an additional .01” for a total of .39”. You win. 

It was a small cell that tracked directly over me. I had some terrified furry family members...easily the best electrical storm here in a few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

My son just waited 1 hour and 25 minutes to get gas at Sheetz - I said son, you just went through a tank to replace it with another one. LOL 

(Gas is $1.77.6 today)

Yep, was just telling my dad the same thing.   You have a 12-gallon tank with 10 open gallon space,  and you save $1.85 a gallon over an hour or two period you can argue that it was a net loss.  LOL. 

• Haha 1

As I've gotten older I figured the cold would bother me more and the heat less. Reality is the true artic cold does bother me more, as does any temperature above 80. I need to go move to the Scottish Highlands or some place that stays between 20 and 80 with 200+ days of precipitation a year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

As I've gotten older I figured the cold would bother me more and the heat less. Reality is the true artic cold does bother me more, as does any temperature above 80. I need to go move to the Scottish Highlands or some place that stays between 20 and 80 with 200+ days of precipitation a year

Juneau, Alaska is that place. 

Monday, July 3, was the hottest day ever recorded globally, according to data from the U.S. National Centers for Environmental Prediction.

The average global temperature reached 17.01 degrees Celsius (62.62 Fahrenheit), surpassing the August 2016 record of 16.92C (62.46F) as heatwaves sizzled around the world.

The southern U.S. has been suffering under an intense heat dome in recent weeks. In China, an enduring heatwave continued, with temperatures above 35C (95F). North Africa has seen temperatures near 50C (122F).

And even Antarctica, currently in its winter, registered anomalously high temperatures. Ukraine's Vernadsky Research Base in the white continent's Argentine Islands recently broke its July temperature record with 8.7C (47.6F).

Was just driving by the Rouzerville Sheetz.  About 1/3 of the pumps are closed now (out of gas) and there about 25-30 cars lined back route 16 a quarter mile then you have about 10-15 more to get through once in the parking lot so 35-40 car line.    I was told the wait time is 120-150 minutes right now especially with so many pumps closed.   To their credit they are doing it in an organized manner where someone is standing out directing people which pump to go when a spot opens.    Saw lots of people filling up dozens of gas cans. Maybe that is why they are waiting because you eat all your profits away waiting in a running car for 2-3 hours. 

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Was just driving by the Rouzerville Sheetz.  About 1/3 of the pumps are closed now (out of gas) and there about 25-30 cars lined back route 16 a quarter mile then you have about 10-15 more to get through once in the parking lot so 35-40 car line.    I was told the wait time is 120-150 minutes right now especially with so many pumps closed.   To their credit they are doing it in an organized manner where someone is standing out directing people which pump to go when a spot opens.    Saw lots of people filling up dozens of gas cans. Maybe that is why they are waiting because you eat all your profits away waiting in a running car for 2-3 hours. 

Idiot next to me was filing up gas canisters (which they should not allow imo today) WHILE IT WSS SITTING PN HIS FLOORBAORD. If you hear of a person grilled medium well over a the chassis of a Honda minivan, there’s your guy. 

• Haha 1

They really need a lottery system with pregistration, assigned time to come and fill limit

• Like 1

Also, I can't imagine spending that much time on a day off waiting to save less than $20 on gas. Look how much you spend on gas to keep the car idling with the A/C on. Then deduct it from your gas savings and divide by time waited. Is your time really worth that little?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Also, I can't imagine spending that much time on a day off waiting to save less than $20 on gas. Look how much you spend on gas to keep the car idling with the A/C on. Then deduct it from your gas savings and divide by time waited. Is your time really worth that little?

I think it also depends on your tank size and if you are filling up gas cans.  An 18-gallon tank that is down to 1-gallon left could save $33 before the deduction for wasting gas while waiting. But the people here were within 10 min of everyday $3.29/gal gas in Maryland so their savings is even more muted. 

2 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Isn't it super expensive to live there

2 hours ago, Anduril said:

Where isn't super expensive anymore?

It's been 10 years since I was there - I took my family of 6 to a Salmon Bake the night we arrived and dropped a cool $400 for dinner. No alcohol and 3 of those meals were from the kids menu. 

After that, we adjusted our dining plan for the remaining 9 days. Ate lunch at a Subway the following day and that set me back $100 - that was the heyday of Subways $5 footlong promo...Alaskans didn't get the memo. Footlongs were $11.50 and up.

It's been 10 years since I was there - I took my family of 6 to a Salmon Bake the night we arrived and dropped a cool $400 for dinner. No alcohol and 3 of those meals were from the kids menu. 
After that, we adjusted our dining plan for the remaining 9 days. Ate lunch at a Subway the following day and that set me back $100 - that was the heyday of Subways $5 footlong promo...Alaskans didn't get the memo. Footlongs were $11.50 and up.
How did you arrive there?

Looking at for about 10k-15k total, including lodging and food and a month off I can take Amtrak all the way to Bellingham Washington, a ferry all along Alaska coast to Aleutian islands and back, followed by train to southern California, across the South then back home

Just now, Jns2183 said:

Looking at for about 10k-15k total, including lodging and food and a month off I can take Amtrak all the way to Bellingham Washington, a ferry all along Alaska coast to Aleutian islands and back, followed by train to southern California, across the South then back home

Would be one memorial trip

Alaska is expensive but you can’t buy as much there as here. 

If you want to see expensive go to Switzerland and have a blast. We went to Norway after Switzerland a few years ago and I remember getting into a car service for a long-ish drive and the driver warning me of the cost, saying I should look into train service. I told him we had just arrived from Zurich. He said oh nevermimd, on the way we go! 

Alaska is expensive but you can’t buy as much there as here. 
If you want to see expensive go to Switzerland and have a blast. We went to Norway after Switzerland a few years ago and I remember getting into a car service for a long-ish drive and the driver warning me of the cost, saying I should look into train service. I told him we had just arrived from Zurich. He said oh nevermimd, on the way we go! 
My good friend married a girl from from Norway. She got her citizenship then they both noped out of here to move back to Norway once she got pregnant to be closer to her family. He was a lawyer here, there he works in a factory but absolutely loves it

15 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

My good friend married a girl from from Norway. She got her citizenship then they both noped out of here to move back to Norway once she got pregnant to be closer to her family. He was a lawyer here, there he works in a factory but absolutely loves it

Most beautiful country in earth, bar none. Covid killed a two week trip of us there. 

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

How did you arrive there?

Air into Anchorage. Rented a van and saw the southern half to two thirds of the state. Let me tell you, that is a lot of driving. 

Visited Seward, Anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer, Talkeetna, Healy, Fairbanks and Denali National Park. Amazing trip.

• Like 2