Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Ides of March end of Winter 2023

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

GFS loses storm #2

This was my worry for the last few days.  With a trough axis like this, its gonna be hard to lift into the block.  We go from cutters to suppression.  As already alluded to, when the block relaxes, thats when something can come up and say hello.  Unfortunately, when block relaxes, so does the cold and what you get will be gone quick in mid march.  Maybe #3 will be the one to get it done.  

gfs_z500a_us_27.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

After seeing the cold thoughts relax on the GFS yesterday, they are back with a vengeance today.  The northeastern 1/4 of the country is locked in winter with temps that would be normal for Jan over a very long stretch of the month.  

we should have all expected this.  winter delayed not denied.  just as we head towards spring and want to think about baseball, planting gardens and other spring activities we enter a winter type pattern.  I fear the fruit crop in many parts of the state may be lost or severely damaged for the 3rd year out of the last 4.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, kdskidoo said:

we should have all expected this.  winter delayed not denied.  just as we head towards spring and want to think about baseball, planting gardens and other spring activities we enter a winter type pattern.  I fear the fruit crop in many parts of the state may be lost or severely damaged for the 3rd year out of the last 4.

It has been modeled but then the models waffle (both day to day and pattern forecasting such as the MJO) so not sure it happens but today's depcition is pretty extreme in the length of time it lasts.   Over 1/3 of the month. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

All these threats and sustained cold on all the suites really vindicates the talk of an ITT period coming up as the models are seeing the same thing, he did pattern recognition wise.    Whether we get a KU-ITT is at question, but the chances are there. 

No doubt chances we just go from cutters to suppression right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

The CMC drops a whole bunch of snow on Myra with a system gathering day 10. 

That's the wave that PSU is all over (though he's still interested in wave #2) and it comes at the end of what I believe is the most favorable period. 

I still think there's way too much volatility to give up on the next 7 days. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

That's the wave that PSU is all over (though he's still interested in wave #2) and it comes at the end of what I believe is the most favorable period. 

I still think there's way too much volatility to give up on the next 7 days. 

Agreed.  Just for fun, check out the end of the GFS. 

19 minutes ago, paweather said:

Little snow no blizzard only 354 away. :D

the caboose is sometimes the KABOOM when patterns break down, and while its a little too far out to tell if its breaking down, if you see the NAO heading +, if timed right, that could do it. 

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

the caboose is sometimes the KABOOM when patterns break down, and while its a little too far out to tell if its breaking down, if you see the NAO heading +, if timed right, that could do it. 

edit.  Isnt that storm at 354 the same exact day as Superstorm '93........hmmmm

Superstorm '93 was earlier...March 12th or 13th from what I remember. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century