Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Observations 2022

yotaman

20 minutes ago, gtg947h said:

I swear, those two heavier precip areas split right around my house and  passed by either side.  We had thunder all afternoon with nothing but a brief shower, then this leaves us out of most of the fun...

Welcome to summertime thunderstorms in the south! Admittedly, I got lucky with those two isolated storms. Hopefully you're getting more from this third more widespread storm.

1 hour ago, marsman said:

1.38" from this storm today, WRAL says we're going to get another wave tonight. Plenty for the plants & veggies. Very tropical feel to this storm.

Lots of small creek flooding in the area.

I was up in the Raleigh area today and just missed your storms but did hit 2 torrential rain makers on my way home. Only .01" in myb today.

2 hours ago, gtg947h said:

I've lived in Georgia for 31 years, I'm used to it :P

Doesn't make it any less disappointing though...

I understand, especially with the drought.

This evening's band of storms gave me only ~0.10". But the airport got 0.54".

Below is the CoCoRaHS map of Chatham County that incorporates all of yesterday's rains. The largest amounts were over Skidaway Island with 2-2.5". The smallest amounts (~2/3") were over the NW part of the county, including the airport. Next lowest amounts of ~3/4-1" were from Dutch Island/Thunderbolt eastward through Wilmington/Tybee Islands. Mid county got ~1.25-1.75".

RainfallChathamCocorahs052322HeaviestInMonths.gif.8d9434ca439a45a3c24cbd37cfd56642.gif

We received ~0.15" late last night. Whereas 0.15" isn't much, even that is close to how much one irrigation provides. Plus it happened late at night, a near ideal time for lawn benefits and near when I normally irrigate. The recent drought is making me appreciate more just getting modest amounts.

We're getting more rain now. We were already near 2.25" month to date as of this morning. That's not too shabby considering we were only near 0.30" one week ago and that the 2.25" was enough to already make it the wettest month since January here.

Edit: We got an additional ~0.15" this afternoon getting us to ~2.40" for the MTD. 

Sat-Sun June 4-5, 2022...The upcoming weekend wl remain subject to approach of an
area of disturbed weather presently taking shape over the western
Caribbean. NHC projections have a "High" chance of development
into a named system by the time it nears S FL on Sat. With an
anticipated track presently near to south of central Fl, local
rainfall projections are largely subject to how organized the
system wl become by the time of closest point of approach to the
area during this weekend. A rather sharp rainfall gradient is
possible N-S over the peninsula should the system become more
organized, and/or a track further south than currently advertised.
A loosely composed baroclinic/hybrid system would potentially
serve better prospects for local wetting rains, and with
anticipation a NHC developed track and intensity forecast wl be
used as baseline by late this week, future wind/rain forecasts
wl remain subject to revision.

I ended up near 2.5" of rainfall for May IMBY. Whereas we had a nice ~2.2" 5/21-31, that still leaves us with only 8.75" since mid November and continued D3 (severe drought) conditions. If we don't get some decent rainfall by this weekend, I'll probably resume lawn irrigation early next week.

• Sad 1