• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday Morning Ice Event - January 9th

ChescoWx

Suspect we will once again see WWA posted from Mt. Holly for at the very least western portions of the area. With such a small gap for warming (before the arctic front) and with ample snow cover to the southwest (source of low level warming) and snow cover locally...I think any low level warming will be tough sledding (pardon the pun). Latest NAM certainly catching on to this. image.thumb.png.93a7a549fe1bb1e85d42328c08802792.png

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And hopefully well above freezing by then although the ground and other surfaces are very cold.  I left a windshield cover on my car (that I put on before this last event) just in case.

Yeah hopefully but best to be prepared as you don’t want to mess around with ice. It will be interesting to see how quick the precipitation spreads East as it runs into really dry air initially. 

1 minute ago, MGorse said:

Yeah hopefully but best to be prepared as you don’t want to mess around with ice. It will be interesting to see how quick the precipitation spreads East as it runs into really dry air initially. 

Yeah... my dp is down to 10 at the moment although once the warm front lifts, I expect it to gradually moisten up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

The HRRR hits us with the first slug of moisture around 8am, so it’s icy. NAM says that first round misses the Philly area to the north and we don’t see anything until 3pm when it’s just rain.

Place your bets.

$100 on option 2...maybe not 3pm but past noon and no ice problems.

31F

• Like 1

The great folks at the NWS Office in Mount Holly seem concerned...understanding of course if no precipitation reaches till later as some models depict...no worries - but best to be safe in these situations. I suspect in higher spots like here in NW Chesco it will be a slow slog to get temps to get much above freezing....of note even if surface temps do warm to slightly above freezing ice accretion will continue when coming off so many hours of below freezing conditions

Unlike most warming winter precipitation events in our area, this
one will begin from the deep freeze. This means that the impacts of
freezing rain will likely be virtually immediate. Hazardous travel
may develop very quickly once precipitation begins, which will be
important to message for this event. Additionally, did expand the
advisory to New Castle County (despite lower confidence on icing
this far south), given the potential quick impacts to travel on the
I-95 corridor in northern Delaware should freezing rain occur.

WWA tweaked to remove Philly, New Castle, DE & Mercer/Middlesex, NJ -

Since the precipitation should not reach the Interstate 95 Corridor
until close to midday, temperatures there and at locations to the
south and east should be above freezing at that time. Therefore, we
have removed the following counties from the Winter Weather
Advisory: New Castle DE, Delaware PA, Philadelphia PA, Mercer NJ and
Middlesex NJ.

When I pulled up the radar about 90 minutes ago, I was a bit surprised to see that it was generally void of precip, so it's moving slower than progged and is hitting that subsidence from the dry air. However it has moistened up gradually here overnight.  My current 24 dp is like day and night compared to the 9 that got down to yesterday.  Temp here is now up to 30 and there is a distinct deck of clouds overhead.

well looks like temps are warmer then they thought they would be as normal over night. Forecast low was mid to upper teens only got to 23. I dont need ice today id rather have nothing happen and it be in the mid 30s whats also crazy I have one weather site reporting im 30 one saying im 26 another saying 28 lol.

Here it's kind of oppositeville, rain looks to be practically on the doorstep, unless it's virga, but temp is all the way up to 33. Last night it appeared it might hold off till noon at least (down here), so it looks early to me. On the temp side it's warmed up pretty well, although dp is 24 so there could be some wet-bulbing, and no doubt the ground is still cold.

Looks like most folks in Western Chesco are still below freezing. Hopefully we warm up by noon as the NWS predicts for the county. As mentioned before it is usually a pretty slow slog in the relatively higher spots in the county like mine over 600 ft ASL -NWS has 41 here for the high...I will bet we stay in the 30's