Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 7th First Snow for some N&W folks Discussion

ChescoWx

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You stated before you had over 45 years in this industry also which is impressive. Overachieving ice accrual eh? Great Scott, I think you're on to something! Or on something. Not quite sure which at the moment. 

LOL, we will see on Sunday morning. A couple good shots of  Honey Jack sat night should get me going on this potential.

I love utilizing weather history in seeing how computer weather model forecasts unfold.  I may not be right every time, but who is? Its a challenge and that is what I enjoy.

This enjoyment comes from living throughout the country in my 63 years on this earth. I have seen every weather phenomena up close and personal from Cat 3-4 hurricanes in Mississippi , the formation and experience of being in midwest and local Derechoes. EF4 tornadoes in Arkansas/Tn, true  blizzards of 4-6 ft of snow in the Sierra,  mudslides in S CA , historical flooding throughout the country especially in Memphis and the MS river,  dense fog so thick you cannot see the end of your car while driving  in Los Angeles,   lightning storms and sand storms in the Mohave desert,  ice storms of ice almost an inch thick in Illinois, extreme heat from 126 in Death Valley to extreme cold -32 in Wisconsin and hail the size of a softball  crashing though my patio cover in Memphis.  I have gone through every major storm since 1987  here in the LV. 

I have on video the 93 superstorm and  the 96 storms here in PA  The only weather related features I really have not  experienced is an avalanche. Prefer not to experience it. I have experienced three earthquakes in LA and Memphis and have actual ash from Mt St Helens as my uncle lived through the actual eruption as he actually lived about 15 miles from the mountain In vancouver/Battle Ground wa. . I went to his house right after the volcano erupted, the destruction was nothing like I have ever seen in my lifetime so far. I have seen and experienced  a lifetime of natural phenomena  most people have only dreamed of.

• Weenie 1

59 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

the problem is that even when the sun comes out tomorrow, Sat highs will not even get above freezing thus curtailing any melting on untreated surfaces.  Tonight , everything will freeze solid- slush and all with lows near the single digits in some areas in the LV in the deepest valleys. The sun can only melt so much on Sat.

I calculated the snow water equivalent (at least down here in Philly) as 18:1 (doing a melt from what was collected in my Stratus). And with the wind, dry arctic air, and dews in the low teens or less (I'm currently down to a dp of 12), much of the snow pack has been blowing around, and that means sublimation can come into play (even with temps below freezing), literally "evaporating" the snow (i.e., the water goes right from solid to gas in the bright sun).

That sets up perfect conditions for  Saturday night. The skies will remain clear until about midnight. The temps will fall like a rock  before things cloud up and will be in the upper teens and low 20's when the precip starts to fall -- first as a period of sleet/maybe snow pellets mixed in, then freezing rain throughout Sunday morning after sunrise. It will take almost all day for the cold air to get scoured out of the LV.  The the arctic front comes through late Sunday night  changing the little bit of warm rain back over to light snow with a flash freeze for Monday morning. Then the snow squalls reach us on Monday afternoon , especially in the northern parts of the LV.  I have experienced this scenario a dozen times during my 35+ years here in the LV.  

I agree with the issues of scouring out that built-up cold air being a tall order.  Will have to see how much of a warm nose happens Sunday (and where in the atmosphere it oozes in).

If I may interject some belated observations etc. from last night's snowfall...

Wound up with 4.1" here, within the forecast range, but exceeded my expectations due to the middle finger (subsidence zone) showing up on most of the mesoscale model runs. I totally enjoyed the snow.

What a change from recent weather. Looks and feels like winter!

Here is the baby snow pile, not very big but it does cast a shadow:

0107221524_HDR_copy_3233x3497_copy_767x829.thumb.jpg.12e2120a7c3178921e19199376f51a90.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Wound up with 4.1" here, within the forecast range, but exceeded my expectations due to the middle finger (subsidence zone) showing up on most of the mesoscale model runs. I totally enjoyed the snow.

0107221524_HDR_copy_3233x3497_copy_767x829.thumb.jpg.12e2120a7c3178921e19199376f51a90.jpg

That's not bad at all!! :thumbsup:

If it survives the wind, a little warmup. and whatever intensity of rain is forecast for Sunday, it could flash-freeze into a thick glacial base for any future frozen precip.

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Wound up with 4.1" here, within the forecast range, but exceeded my expectations due to the middle finger (subsidence zone) showing up on most of the mesoscale model runs. I totally enjoyed it.

Looks great! Nice foundation you have going there. 

Exceeded my expectations and as you said, feels like winter now. The wind cuts right through. Nice January weather....a viking beach day.

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That's not bad at all!! :thumbsup:

If it survives the wind, a little warmup. and whatever intensity of rain is forecast for Sunday, it could flash-freeze into a thick glacial base for any future frozen precip.

Thanks, lol. I think it will survive this coming week, Sunday will shrink it a little, but doesn't look like a whole lot of rain, nor too much of a warm up. Maybe we'll get some more snow to build on it with!?!

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Thanks, lol. I think it will survive this coming week, Sunday will shrink it a little, but doesn't look like a whole lot of rain, nor too much of a warm up. Maybe we'll get some more snow to build on it with!?!

Need to keep up with current events analogs of 96,78 and 03 are popping up that thing will be a mountain

21 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks great! Nice foundation you have going there. 

Exceeded my expectations and as you said, feels like winter now. The wind cuts right through. Nice January weather....a viking beach day.

Thanks! Yeah, too windy and cold for a kettle fire tonight, even though it's Friday night! We had one last night, sort of becoming a pre-snow tradition for the time being. Finally came inside around midnight after an hour or so of virga, but it wasn't too long afterwards that we got flakes.

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Need to keep up with current events analogs of 96,78 and 03 are popping up that thing will be a mountain

Here's hoping! Funny you mention 1978, that's probably the first year I made a big snow pile, mostly because we had 2 big snows 2 weeks apart and didn't have a lot of room. So the pile got high, and I carved an armchair into it. Didn't use it a whole lot however, lol.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:50 PM, Birds~69 said:

My old stomping grounds in my 20s, rented a place up 2nd avenue off Main Street. Use to hit Toms bar for happy hour occasionally on my way home from work. Is that place still there/open?  

31F / Light snow

Nice I'm right next to the police station!  It's looking like it'll be my stomping grounds through my 20s too, at least for the next year or so.  Took months to find a decent spot that was affordable within 20 mins of KOP.  

Tom's is still open but I haven't gone in since I haven't been drinking because I've been dealing with really bad low back pain/sciatica due to stenosis this year and I'm trying to keep the inflammation down.  Last fall my plan was to have moved north or west by this winter to snowboard all the time but now that looks like a pipedream.  Hoping for some progress with my health so I can get back to pow chasing.  Literally one of my biggest passions so its frustrating not being able to enjoy it at such a young age.  

Got probably 4 inches here but haven't gone outside since I have covid!  My car is the only one in the lot with snow still on it haha.  

25 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Nice I'm right next to the police station!  It's looking like it'll be my stomping grounds through my 20s too, at least for the next year or so.  Took months to find a decent spot that was affordable within 20 mins of KOP.  

Tom's is still open but I haven't gone in since I haven't been drinking because I've been dealing with really bad low back pain/sciatica due to stenosis this year and I'm trying to keep the inflammation down.  Last fall my plan was to have moved north or west by this winter to snowboard all the time but now that looks like a pipedream.  Hoping for some progress with my health so I can get back to pow chasing.  Literally one of my biggest passions so its frustrating not being able to enjoy it at such a young age.  

Got probably 4 inches here but haven't gone outside since I have covid!  My car is the only one in the lot with snow still on it haha.  

Yeah, I know exactly where you are located. I thought when I moved there winter weather would be better but it wasn't at all. (Not the reason I moved there) Whenever snow changed to rain in Philly it was only 20min or so before the changeover happened there..it didn't hang on.Maybe due to only 240' elevation. It wasn't any different living there than when I lived in Horsham.

Best of luck w/your health as some injuries take a while to heal. And not sure if you know this but the movie "The Lovely Bones" (Mark Wahlberg, Susan Sarandon) was shot right in front of or around your place on main street. I moved away by this point but went up to check it out...pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_1RDCh4Js

32F/Sunny

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:35 PM, Albedoman said:

the problem is that even when the sun comes out tomorrow, Sat highs will not even get above freezing thus curtailing any melting on untreated surfaces.  Tonight , everything will freeze solid- slush and all with lows near the single digits in some areas in the LV in the deepest valleys. The sun can only melt so much on Sat.

That sets up perfect conditions for  Saturday night. The skies will remain clear until about midnight. The temps will fall like a rock  before things cloud up and will be in the upper teens and low 20's when the precip starts to fall -- first as a period of sleet/maybe snow pellets mixed in, then freezing rain throughout Sunday morning after sunrise. It will take almost all day for the cold air to get scoured out of the LV.  The the arctic front comes through late Sunday night  changing the little bit of warm rain back over to light snow with a flash freeze for Monday morning. Then the snow squalls reach us on Monday afternoon , especially in the northern parts of the LV.  I have experienced this scenario a dozen times during my 35+ years here in the LV.  

forecast still on target

6 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How did you make out up there? 

most of the freezing rain fell before 2pm . Had about .20 of precip. Not much overperformance luckily.  The temps finally rose above  freezing at 1pm.  The temps never recovered above 34 degrees and actually are near freezing again. Hopefully the streets dry out before it freezes.  They salted the crap out the main roads up here.  Expect a brief snow squall/shower that could whiten the ground  by tomorrow evening as the arctic front comes whizzing by to drop the temps into single digits for Tuesday morning. waiting for big one by the 20th.

2 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Down East, Maine cabin:

Despite blizzard conditions not materializing, we did end up with ~12” (~20” ytd from 4 “significant” events…many dusting type events not included)!

87ED8A9F-F9E6-4C7C-BF0E-7BEF558157E2.jpeg

Nice! Is that your remote camera/webcam? Though if it was and it was snowing I'd have mixed feelings about not being up there!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:51 AM, KamuSnow said:

Nice! Is that your remote camera/webcam? Though if it was and it was snowing I'd have mixed feelings about not being up there!

Hey Kamu!

Sadly, yes…Cabin is off-the-grid with minimal heat, so we need to shut it down for the winter, but I “live there” during snowstorms via my Starlink satellite internet, Blink cameras and Tempest weather station (-1.3° early Tuesday AM)!

18 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Hey Kamu!

Sadly, yes…Cabin is off-the-grid with minimal heat, so we need to shut it down for the winter, but I “live there” during snowstorms via my Starlink satellite internet, Blink cameras and Tempest weather station (-1.3° early Tuesday AM)!

It's beautiful up there! A few years back spent a week up the coast a little from Mt. Desert Island, in August. It was 95 and humid down here, and in the 70s up there, and smelled like pine trees. Nice!

• Like 1