• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 7th First Snow for some N&W folks Discussion

ChescoWx

Watching the news and school closings. Way different from when I was in grade/high school. When we heard our school closing number on KYW1060...that's it, we're off, done! Out in the snow!  Now they just switch to virtual and another class day...tough break for them.

Nice intense pink band ready to plow through...

27F    

pink.jpg

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Watching the news and school closings. Way different from when I was in grade/high school. When we heard our school closing number on KYW1060...that's it, we're off, done! Out in the snow!  Now they just switch to virtual and another class day...tough break for them.

Nice intense pink band ready to plow through...

27F    

pink.jpg

Exactly!  There were days when they would take almost the whole 30 minutes on KYW reading off school numbers, county by county, in 3 states (including those who were closed or had delayed openings). :lol:

Now it seems the suburban schools do robocalls/texts/email blasts and some of the local stations will have a list on their websites. Philly public and Archdiocesan schools do get the KYW closure mention that takes like 5 seconds.

Currently 28 w/dp 27, somewhere between SN- and SN with some fog.

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Exactly!  There were days when they would take almost the whole 30 minutes on KYW reading off school numbers, county by county, in 3 states (including those who were closed or had delayed openings). :lol:

Now it seems the suburban schools do robocalls/texts/email blasts and some of the local stations will have a list on their websites. Philly public and Archdiocesan schools do get the KYW closure mention that takes like 5 seconds.

Currently 28 w/dp 27, somewhere between SN- and SN with some fog.

Lol and don't get distracted when your school district finally comes around.

This last band is producing, heavy snow here now, probably the heaviest rates of the night : -). 28F at the moment.

8 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol and don't get distracted when your school district finally comes around.

This last band is producing, heavy snow here now, probably the heaviest rates of the night : -). 28F at the moment.

...then you have to wait for Harry Donahue to read the entire list again at the top of the hour. Painstaking.

27F/mod snow

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Not here.  A few of our schools were virtual this week due to Covid related staffing issues.  Today is a snow day.  Everyone is off.  They are not allowed to use virtual for snow days.  Kind of crazy right? 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Not here.  A few of our schools were virtual this week due to Covid related staffing issues.  Today is a snow day.  Everyone is off.  They are not allowed to use virtual for snow days.  Kind of crazy right? 

I have a little nephew in 2nd grade who is off for a snow day too (they were doing virtual part of last school year so am guessing it would have been do-able).

Hell here in Philly, we had to have a forecast of at least 6" to get a snow day. :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Stating the obvious (to some, lol), but there is something very pleasing about staying up for an overnight snowfall, especially the 1st one of the season. Time for a nap now, since things are winding down here. Guessing about 3.5" but I'll measure later. Good stuff!

I used to be able to that when I worked nights.  Now, it's like magic.  I wake up and it's there.  Not as fun.  

6 minutes ago, BBasile said:

I used to be able to that when I worked nights.  Now, it's like magic.  I wake up and it's there.  Not as fun.  

Still pretty cool though, especially if there wasn't already snow on the ground. I remember (when I was very young) waking up during the night and seeing the ceiling lit up from fresh snow outside (probably still snowing), and you knew, lol. Much excitement!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Still pretty cool though, especially if there wasn't already snow on the ground. I remember (when I was very young) waking up during the night and seeing the ceiling lit up from fresh snow outside (probably still snowing), and you knew, lol. Much excitement!

Exactly what happened to me this morning.  Forgot about the snow until I realized the room was way too bright for 5 AM.  lol

• Haha 1