• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Snow still coming at a pretty good clip right now. If i'm being honest, we didn't get 12+" of snow, but this storm has been fun. From the tracking, to the nowcasting, watching the temps yesterday, getting nearly every type of precip, and now this snow globe that will result in a few inches. This is why we do it

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Snow still coming at a pretty good clip right now. If i'm being honest, we didn't get 12+" of snow, but this storm has been fun. From the tracking, to the nowcasting, watching the temps yesterday, getting nearly every type of precip, and now this snow globe that will result in a few inches. This is why we do it

Agreed. Much better to enjoy it than calling it a bust at every stage after getting hopes up with every model run and misreading the radar/calling it over prematurely at 7am.

Probably picked up another 2” since 7am here in Ross. Big big flakes but I think it’s compacting more, they look like little ice balls at times.

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Naw blizzard of 1993 is why I do it. Serious. 

semi serious ( I like snow)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordo74 said:

Agreed. Much better to enjoy it than calling it a bust at every stage after getting hopes up with every model run and misreading the radar/calling it over prematurely at 7am.

Probably picked up another 2” since 7am here in Ross. Big big flakes but I think it’s compacting more, they look like little ice balls at times.

Show where I did that, or shut up. Seriously. 

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

The MLK storm may have been a bust but this wasn’t.

And I never said it, but all the trolls in this board are contorting what I said. 

I said the models teased us but this was always a long shot and I’d be happy if we squeezed out a few inches.

I think some people like to complain about Pittsburgh, but given its location and latitude, 4 official 20+" storms is actually pretty good. Toledo has only had one, and that was in 1900. Detroit has only had one, and it was in the 1800s (in April, no less). And there's been several others that have produced 20"+ in the area, but were somewhat less at the official observation site.

• Like 1

I think what we need is a storm to track like the November 1950 storm, or the White Hurricane of November 1913. Not sure if you guys are familar with that one - has the daily record of 12.5" on the 9th of November. I think storm total downtown was like 14" with 12-24" widespread throughout the region. I always thought that was just some storm up in northern Michigan, but I guess it was a potent northern wave that produced strong gales. Then a new low pressure formed in the southeast coast on the cold front and retrograded northeast to Erie while bombing out with a negatively tilted trough. I think either of those tracks would be really good for us. Superstorm Sandy came close but was too early in the year for snow outside of the mountains.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

And I never said it, but all the trolls in this board are contorting what I said. 

I said the models teased us but this was always a long shot and I’d be happy if we squeezed out a few inches.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, KPITSnow said:

I haven’t even come close to that. I got 7 from the last storm and I might get 2 from this. The last storm was an absolute bust and didn’t even hit warning level for me,

On 1/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, KPITSnow said:

Great! I’m not at the moon NWS office. I was forecasted to start a foot literally six hours from thee we start of the snow and got 7 inches over like 18 hour. It was a bust of a storm.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, KPITSnow said:

It was the case for most of the county. You are welcome to look at the totals. The 9 in Moon was one of the highest reports with most people getting around 7.

It was a big old bust of a storm that wasn't even warning level for most of us.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, KPITSnow said:

You got me! I'm in Philly! 

Glad you are in a good spot! I am not and will end up with a half foot less than you this week even though you are 10 miles away. It's been a bust of a week and winter here

On 1/23/2022 at 8:21 PM, KPITSnow said:

It was a bust for me. ONe of the most disappointing storms I've experienced. If you enjoyed it, good for you, but it was a massive let down for me.

But I'm done talking about it.

These five quotes about the MLK storm being a bust were over like four pages and one day(!), then I got tired of looking.

4 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Alright back to weather. Looks like we won't be without snow chances anytime soon

2bXDRvQ.png

I like the thought, and I absolutely think we’ll get our chances, but to be fair, climo for this time period is 6.7”, so I would hope there’s a near certainty that we get at least 3”, especially considering that a 12z map would include what was modeled for this morning after daybreak.

Just now, TimB84 said:

I like the thought, and I absolutely think we’ll get our chances, but to be fair, climo for this time period is 6.7”, so I would hope there’s a near certainty that we get at least 3”, especially considering that a 12z map would include what fell this morning after daybreak.

If you look at some of the ensemble members there are some with some big snow totals on them. So yes I agree with you but there is some big totals to really back this map up.

• Like 1

Just now, Rd9108 said:

If you look at some of the ensemble members there are some with some big snow totals on them. So yes I agree with you but there is some big totals to really back this map up.

Oh yeah, there have been operational GFS runs with ridiculous totals over the time period and most of them exceed climo and get to double digits. I’m not expecting we get 2 feet of snow over the next 2 weeks but it’s definitely not a shutout pattern unless we have rotten luck.

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I like the thought, and I absolutely think we’ll get our chances, but to be fair, climo for this time period is 6.7”, so I would hope there’s a near certainty that we get at least 3”, especially considering that a 12z map would include what was modeled for this morning after daybreak.

Yes, it's not really going on on that much of a limb there. Certainly wouldn't be the first time we went two weeks in early February with less than 3 inches, but probably 7 of 10 years that number would be met (given the average is 6.7"). But 90-100% would definitely be better odds than just strictly climo. 

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Yes, it's not really going on on that much of a limb there. Certainly wouldn't be the first time we went two weeks in early February with less than 3 inches, but probably 7 of 10 years that number would be met (given the average is 6.7"). But 90-100% would definitely be better odds than just strictly climo. 

Fact of the matter is it almost feels like December when a pattern change that took forever to come was teased for weeks. We’re now in the cold phase of that same scenario.