Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18Z Model Thread

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think now, you want it to be a little faster and a bit farther north OR the northern stream digging more to catch the southern vort

having the southern wave move faster is a negative for this area at least i think unless we're back to overrunning hopes maybe. or it has been thus far. it is a bit more intense thru 36 but less diggy etc.

Definitely disagree on the less diggy. It certainly is vs the 12z (northern stream).

yeah well i was ref the s vort. but i think you still want that southern piece to be slower even if it looks stronger here. it takes a while to orient the flow and if it's east it's east.

Still worse than last night's 0z run. Really would take a shocker to bring this baby back.

not really, that s/w which didn't phase at all on the 12z run phases a bit to late on the 18z, but look how much further north it is. that is the key to this whole thing. if there is another jog (even a little), that will allow for yet an earlier phase, more digging and ultimately a more amplified solution. I truly don't think we are miles apart for a good result here.

Still worse than last night's 0z run. Really would take a shocker to bring this baby back.

i think mostly you have a slightly juiced system thx to the s/w being a bit stronger. but the northern stream is still taking its sweet time getting right to pull it north.

not really, that s/w which didn't phase at all on the 12z run phases a bit to late on the 18z, but look how much further north it is. that is the key to this whole thing. if there is another jog (even a little), that will allow for yet an earlier phase, more digging and ultimately a more amplified solution. I truly don't think we are miles apart for a good result here.

it's not further north

edit: well the s/w is obviously but that's not good -- the slp ends up basically the same as previous runs

IN THE EAST...MODEL SPREAD HAS CONTINUED TO NARROW CONCERNING THE

TRACK AND OTHER DETAILS OF A POTENTIAL WINTER STORM AFFECTING THE

EAST COAST DAYS 3-4...WITH THE MOST NOTICEABLE AND CONSISTENT

MODEL TREND OBSERVED FOR FASTER NORTHEASTWARD ACCELERATION.

EARLIER PREFERENCES WERE FOR A SCENARIO CLOSEST TO THE 06Z GFS

WHICH REPRESENTED AN AVERAGE OF THE MOST WESTWARD 00Z ECMWF AND

MORE EASTWARD 00Z GFS...WITH THE LAST SEVERAL RUNS OF THE

UKMET/CANADIAN SOUTH AND/OR EAST OF AN OTHERWISE NARROWING CLUSTER

OF GUIDANCE AND THUS WERE NOT SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED. DESPITE

IMPROVED CLUSTERING OF SOLUTIONS AND SOME CONSISTENCY IN

TRENDS...IT REMAINS PREMATURE TO PICK A SPECIFIC DETERMINISTIC

SOLUTION WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE. THE TROUGH APPROACHING THE REGION

HAS ONLY RECENTLY ENTERED THE MORE DENSELY POPULATED OBSERVATIONAL

NETWORK...AND THUS IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE ANOTHER 1 OR 2 MODEL RUNS

AT LEAST TO RESOLVE THE MULTIPLE STREAM INTERACTIONS WHICH IS

CRUCIAL TO A SUCCESSFUL FORECAST IN THIS SHORTWAVE PATTERN.

THUS...THE FINAL PRESSURES/FRONTS WERE ONLY NUDGED ABOUT MIDWAY

BETWEEN THE 06-12Z GFS...WHICH CREDITS THE NEW CONSENSUS FOR A

FASTER SOLUTION WHILE ALSO MAINTAINING CONTINUITY AS THE PRECISE

TRACK FORECAST STILL CONTAINS A LARGE AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY.

Agreed.

i edited because clearly the s/w is but i think it's wrong to think that's a positive sign overall. in this case it mostly means it's faster and with the surface reflection initially having a good deal to do with it it keeps the slp too far east. the 500 gyre takes a while to come together right so you want to delay the slp formation (in/near gom or se) as long as possible.

Archived