• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Summer 2021

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

May lead to more sports talk?  Ha.  But one plus would be a bit wetter than a dry N/W flow. 

By then the basketball team will have possibly fallen short of a gold medal, I’ll have clogged up the MA forum with observations from the vacation spot they stole from Pittsburgh, the baseball trade deadline will have passed, and maybe Dwayne Haskins will have seen his first preseason action as a Steeler.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

By then the basketball team will have possibly fallen short of a gold medal, I’ll have clogged up the MA forum with observations from the vacation spot they stole from Pittsburgh, the baseball trade deadline will have passed, and maybe Dwayne Haskins will have seen his first preseason action as a Steeler.

I am setting time on my calendar to make sure I check out all your MA observations.  Make sure you question the others as it cannot possibly be that different from where you will be to BWI, right?     Catch them at heightening their reports.

6 minutes ago, Newman said:

Some record low, or nearing record low, temps tonight for July 31st. 

As @TimB84 mentioned earlier, it will be progress just to get MDT to admit its in the 50's tonight.  They are 0'Fer so far this month.   Just up the road the alternate reporting station in Pillow has gone under 60 several times. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am setting time on my calendar to make sure I check out all your MA observations.  Make sure you question the others as it cannot possibly be that different from where you will be to BWI, right?     Catch them at heightening their reports.

LOL.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I thought I recently read them complaining about how the pavement at BWI artificially inflates temps way too much. And don’t they also regularly whine about DCA’s snow measurement techniques?

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I thought I recently read them complaining about how the pavement at BWI artificially inflates temps way too much. And don’t they also regularly whine about DCA’s snow measurement techniques?

Sounds familiar. But they love when I post Pen Mar ob's so they will surely eat up Que Pasa en Deep Creek. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Sounds familiar. But they love when I post Pen Mar ob's so they will surely eat up Que Pasa en Deep Creek. 

Until I get bold and post some Pens-Caps highlights from just about any year but 2018 in there (no offense).

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

A very warm 85 now. If it wasn't for the breeze it would feel downright hot in the sun.

Can't complain too much about heat in August...it is the dog days of summer after all. 

I was going to comment that when I looked at the temps this AM...would be warmer than yesterday.  Not so tomorrow :-).    83 here so close today. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

A very warm 85 now. If it wasn't for the breeze it would feel downright hot in the sun.

Can't complain too much about heat in August...it is the dog days of summer after all. 

It is definitely warmer out today then I thought it would be. Tomorrows high is near 78 so hopefully getting cooler!

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was going to comment that when I looked at the temps this AM...would be warmer than yesterday.  Not so tomorrow :-).    83 here so close today. 

14 minutes ago, paweather said:

It is definitely warmer out today then I thought it would be. Tomorrows high is near 78 so hopefully getting cooler!

It'll be interesting to see if we manage to stay in the 70s here tomorrow under full sun. Wouldn't surprise me to see an 80-81 reading here. 

By the way, I'm up to 86 now and still climbing. I wonder how low we actually get tonight?

26 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In September we can pull off a 87/53 high/low. At the end of July, it's going to be difficult to get down near the record low for MDT.

How bad was the point and click on your high temperature? I feel like the NWS point and click forecasts struggle badly with the highs in a dry, post-frontal environment and almost always overperform, sometimes significantly. Trying to determine if it’s a Pittsburgh thing or an everywhere thing.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

How bad was the point and click on your high temperature? I feel like the NWS point and click forecasts struggle badly with the highs in a dry, post-frontal environment and almost always overperform, sometimes significantly. Trying to determine if it’s a Pittsburgh thing or an everywhere thing.

Point and click today was 82, I'm now up to 88. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

We've talked in here on and off for quite some time about how often high temperatures are often underdone. It's not just a summer thing, it happens year round. Not sure what the explanation is, but it happens a LOT. 

Never thought I'd see 88 today. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We've talked in here on and off for quite some time about how often high temperatures are often underdone. It's not just a summer thing, it happens year round. Not sure what the explanation is, but it happens a LOT. 

Never thought I'd see 88 today. 

Forecast of 74 here today. It has reached 80.

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Same amount of disparity...

I feel like 6 degrees is a lot to miss the mark by, except in the obvious situations where there is uncertainty as to where a front will set up, or the amount of cloud cover is way over or underdone (not after a decisive frontal passage where the cold front is several states south).

20 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I feel like 6 degrees is a lot to miss the mark by, except in the obvious situations where there is uncertainty as to where a front will set up, or the amount of cloud cover is way over or underdone (not after a decisive frontal passage where the cold front is several states south).

I agree. I find it especially frustrating in the winter when the forecast high is 34 and I reach 40. That's a big deal when a storm's approaching and if the day ends cloudy and you have to wet bulb down to 32.