• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Entering the dry season it seems. Two weeks ago, my lawnmower struggled to get through the lush grass in my back yard. I mowed it again 4 days later and it was still a bit tough. Then I wasn't able to mow it again for 10 days... no struggle at all this time. I have the feeling it's going to get pretty arid out there with no rain in the forecast until the end of next week! Looks like we'll be watering tonight.

At least it's not too humid out, so that's nice.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Entering the dry season it seems. Two weeks ago, my lawnmower struggled to get through the lush grass in my back yard. I mowed it again 4 days later and it was still a bit tough. Then I wasn't able to mow it again for 10 days... no struggle at all this time. I have the feeling it's going to get pretty arid out there with no rain in the forecast until the end of next week! Looks like we'll be watering tonight.

That will increase starting Sat moving forward along w/temps.

As far as the grass, I don't care any longer. Before you know it, you'll be looking for the rake. Summer's on it's last legs....

82F / DP 66F

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I know there are (anecdotal) climatological times of the year when it does get "dry" and it's often August/September, where we are often wishing for some TC to bring in the rain to break the spell.  I'll probably have to whip out the hose too but in one respect, lucked out watering last Sunday, which prompted almost an inch of rain on top of that. And with the cooler temps, that helped. :lol:

I ended up with a high of 78 yesterday that will now be history for a high temp per what is expected for the next week or so. Low this morning was 64 and have already tapped 90 about 10 minutes ago but am back to 89 at post time with dp creeping up and now at 69.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

In case nobody noticed it flipped back to super dry again. Little chance of H2O over the next 10 days. 

? GFS isn't fire hose wet like the past few weeks but still some chances for qpf over the next 10 days, much of that is likely convective like normal this time of the year so some places will definitely see some rain.

gfs_apcpn_us_40.png

CMC has several chances too:

gem_apcpn_us_40.png

So does the ICON:

icon_apcpn_us_60.png

Ensembles are even wetter:

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_40.png

gem-ens_apcpn_us_40.png

Don't think the next 10 days will be bone dry. I think normal is more like it which will seem like a dry spell with how wet summer has been.

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

In case nobody noticed it flipped back to super dry again. Little chance of H2O over the next 10 days. 

Yeah, we're going to have a long stretch of boring ass weather. Not super hot, not really cool, not wet/T-storms  and just meh/average overall. I miss tornadoes...

74F / DP 60F  

• Weenie 1

Ended up with a high of 90 on the nose yesterday, as my 25th of the season so far (now the first of an upcoming string of them, although will have to see how things pan out this weekend and any cloud cover effects).

Low this morning was 66 and currently 68 with dp 65, and starting to cloud over a bit with a deck of some high clouds.

Took a hike today up at Baldpate Mountain over in Titusville/Hopewell NJ to check out the tornado damage and it didn't disappoint. It was rated EF2 and based on what I observed, looked like the right call. Hundreds of trees down or buzzsawed in half. The path was treacherous in spots with groups of tres blocking it. It was only like a quarter mile wide but there was debris easily a half mile away from the tornado. Impressive stuff, I'll try and post some pictures later on. Very fortunate this didn't hit a more populated area.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

So I've really enjoyed this cooler weather for the last week or so. I was so inspired I decided to put down some grass seed in a small area. I seeded it last Saturday, July 31st. Fuzz started coming up Wednesday night, now I have to keep it cool until this next warm spell passes. I might use some bamboo and frost blanket to give it some shade, going for the Bohemian look.

It's the round spot in this pic, we call it the on deck circle. There was a large tree there that we had taken down last year cuz it was dying. Note the 2 foot tall tulip poplar in the foreground that I dug out of the woods the other day. Going for fast growers, the one farther back is a Dawn Redwood that we planted 4 years ago, it was 4.5 ft. tall then.

1679249472_0805211900_copy_3492x3541_copy_730x7402.jpg.82a8d2ecd7cb21bfe7288358efdaca99.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Going for fast growers, the one farther back is a Dawn Redwood that we planted 4 years ago, it was 4.5 ft. tall then.

1679249472_0805211900_copy_3492x3541_copy_730x7402.jpg.82a8d2ecd7cb21bfe7288358efdaca99.jpg

One of my BILs proudly planted a "small" (I think it was about 2ft tall at the time) Dawn Redwood I guess about 15 years ago and then had to move it about 5 years later because it was outgrowing the spot near the house (he moved it under a silver maple near the creek at the base of their property) and it has to be at least 20 ft or more tall growing under a tree canopy now. :lol:

He manages to find trees that he swore were labeled as "miniature" used for bonsai and one included what turned out to be a fast grower that my sis finally had identified by an arborist as a Japanese Zelkova.  Literally in 10 years it went from about 12" to what has to be at least 25 feet.  It has provided great shade for their deck that faces south and was always brutal in summer - especially in the late afternoon.  That tree shades it perfectly along the hottest side now since it was planted to the west of the deck.

I fell short of 90 yesterday but did make it up to 88.  Had a low of 68 this morning and was grateful that I was able to cash in on a little rain this morning. I didn't expect anything despite the forecast of possible rain this far north.  Ended up with 0.38" so I'll take it.  Saves me from pulling out the hose today. :thumbsup:

It's currently mostly cloudy with some breaks of sun and 72 with dp 65.

23 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

One of my BILs proudly planted a "small" (I think it was about 2ft tall at the time) Dawn Redwood I guess about 15 years ago and then had to move it about 5 years later because it was outgrowing the spot near the house (he moved it under a silver maple near the creek at the base of their property) and it has to be at least 20 ft or more tall growing under a tree canopy now. :lol:

He manages to find trees that he swore were labeled as "miniature" used for bonsai and one included what turned out to be a fast grower that my sis finally had identified by an arborist as a Japanese Zelkova.  Literally in 10 years it went from about 12" to what has to be at least 25 feet.  It has provided great shade for their deck that faces south and was always brutal in summer - especially in the late afternoon.  That tree shades it perfectly along the hottest side now since it was planted to the west of the deck.

I fell short of 90 yesterday but did make it up to 88.  Had a low of 68 this morning and was grateful that I was able to cash in on a little rain this morning. I didn't expect anything despite the forecast of possible rain this far north.  Ended up with 0.38" so I'll take it.  Saves me from pulling out the hose today. :thumbsup:

It's currently mostly cloudy with some breaks of sun and 72 with dp 65.

Yeah the one I mentioned is about 20 feet tall now too. Beautiful trees, the leaves are the size and shape of pine needles, except they are deciduous. We have a big one in the back, over 100 ft. tall, and the 1st year we were here I thought something was wrong with it when it turned yellow then brown, lol.

I mowed that front area in the pics on Saturday, and we have a major crop of cicada killers this year. There has to be 50 to 100 holes on that side where they make their nests. Needless to say I mowed it at a high rate of speed. They were annoyed to say the least. I had done my research and only the females can sting, although they say it's not as bad as a yellowjacket sting. Still, lol.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Yeah the one I mentioned is about 20 feet tall now too. Beautiful trees, the leaves are the size and shape of pine needles, except they are deciduous. We have a big one in the back, over 100 ft. tall, and the 1st year we were here I thought something was wrong with it when it turned yellow then brown, lol.

I mowed that front area in the pics on Saturday, and we have a major crop of cicada killers this year. There has to be 50 to 100 holes on that side where they make their nests. Needless to say I mowed it at a high rate of speed. They were annoyed to say the least. I had done my research and only the females can sting, although they say it's not as bad as a yellowjacket sting. Still, lol.

I had told my BIL that the Dawn redwoods were deciduous and not to get alarmed when it dropped its needles. He was fine with that since the guy at the nursery we frequent had recommended it to him and he trusted the guy.  He had also bought a couple Witch Hazels around the same time that are now almost 10ft tall. Didn't realize they could grow that tall although I understand there are some varieties that have an upright form.  They ended up becoming a nice screen for their shed. :lol:

The one thing I haven't really seen this year, thank goodness, are the swarms of lanternflies.  Earlier I saw maybe one or two crawling on the side of the front of the house but that is about it.  This time last year they were obnoxiously everywhere.

Ended up with a late-in-the-day high of 82 yesterday, with a low of 67 this morning. Had to run out to the supermarket early this morning and although it was in the upper 70s at the time, I could feel a bit of the humidity already creeping in.

It's currently partly cloudy and 87 with dp 69.