• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Western PA/Pittsburgh Summer Discussion 2021

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

I keep seeing the chance of storms increasing right at 7pm.  I really hope there are no storms until after the baseball game tonight.  I can't stand rain delays.

Who knows, NWS isn’t particularly bullish on our precip chances and short range models agree with that but TWC’s 60% had to have come from somewhere.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Who knows, NWS isn’t particularly bullish on our precip chances and short range models agree with that but TWC’s 60% had to have come from somewhere.

As long as they aren't to thrilled right now, but it is clouding up, so that's worrying me, lol.

Just now, Ahoff said:

As long as they aren't to thrilled right now, but it is clouding up, so that's worrying me, lol.

I haven’t looked outside in awhile, is it that wildfire smoke haze we had yesterday or real honest to god clouds?

5 hours ago, Ahoff said:

It was real clouds, but we're back to mostly sun.

Looks like there was no weather issue at all for the ballgame. I see we got 89’d today, but at least your nemesis Syracuse fell short of 90 (Burlington too). :lol:

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

Radar is really lightning up just south of town and looking like there are major flooding issues in the south hills. 

SPC finally pulled the trigger on a severe t-storm watch for Allegheny County and points north. These slow moving, training storms are never any good unless you want flooding.

Edit: got some nice garden variety storms imby. A little wind and a lot of lightning and not a ton of rain.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like those of you who like ugly summer weather are having a great July, cool and rainy so far.

I’m not prematurely declaring victory. Still a lot of July to go and when it’s all said and done you probably have a good shot at getting your positive July temperature departure for the 7th year in a row.

4 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

Who in the world considers 75 and low humidity ugly?

Did I say yesterday was ugly?  NO, I said so far for the month.  There were 10 days of July so far and they leaned, in my opinion on the uglier side.  I said earlier that I would take an entire summer of 75 and sunny if I had the choice.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

I’m not prematurely declaring victory. Still a lot of July to go and when it’s all said and done you probably have a good shot at getting your positive July temperature departure for the 7th year in a row.

We'll see.  Also, I just want dry, sunny weather, as long as it as seasonable I'm good, but I'll take a hot, dry day for sure if it comes.

17 hours ago, Ahoff said:

We'll see.  Also, I just want dry, sunny weather, as long as it as seasonable I'm good, but I'll take a hot, dry day for sure if it comes.

Well the next several days don’t sound like your kind of days (but they ain’t mine, either).

That 3:45 storm meant business. Never lost power here but there were quite a few lightning strikes very close to my house and near constant lightning for awhile. My dog is normally unfazed by thunderstorms but this one had him nervous. All in all, one of the better overnight thunderstorms in recent memory.

• Thanks 1

For everybody who complained about a lack of thunderstorms recently, that storm this morning should satisfy you for quite a while.  That was the most lightning I've seen in a long, long time.  I was driving through it and there wasn't a 10 second interval that didn't have lightning.  It was nearly constant.  It actually was getting a little scary.  The craziest part was that the thunder wasn't all that loud.  With the amount of lightning I would have thought the thunder would be deafening, but not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

For everybody who complained about a lack of thunderstorms recently, that storm this morning should satisfy you for quite a while.  That was the most lightning I've seen in a long, long time.  I was driving through it and there wasn't a 10 second interval that didn't have lightning.  It was nearly constant.  It actually was getting a little scary.  The craziest part was that the thunder wasn't all that loud.  With the amount of lightning I would have thought the thunder would be deafening, but not so much.

“Satisfy” is an understatement. That storm was incredible, IMO. A switch has been flipped. After a slow start to spring thunderstorms, June and July have been solid.

22 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

“Satisfy” is an understatement. That storm was incredible, IMO. A switch has been flipped. After a slow start to spring thunderstorms, June and July have been solid.

Yeah, it's enough now, lol.

Although, I remember some forecast for the summer months ago that said July would have pretty big thunderstorms here, so that was pretty close.  Can't remember which forecast it was.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

My thoughts exactly. Last night’s storm was one of the better overnight thunderstorms in a while. It was kind of like some storms I remember lying awake to when I was little. Light winds, steady rain and lots of lightning and thunder. No severe wind or hail threat but only lightning strike probability. I was one of those complaining as I myself, like thunderstorms (not too severe however) its been a great 2nd half of June and so far in July. I’m getting some distant rumbling as I type this so we may be in for more today. 

• Like 1