Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,973
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    robrofox
    Newest Member
    robrofox
    Joined

Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Keep your chin up Tiger 

 

58 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Myrtle minnesota has significantly less water around their golf courses than this place. Why cant they invent golf balls that float?

Good morning BxE, Irish. They would probably have to be empty to do so. As always ….

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Pretty brave hiking Indian Head on a Saturday in October. May God have mercy on your soul.

Good morning Julian. As an unknowing well preserved city slicker, wandering the green, grey, brown. wastes of my postage stamp, you know I have to ask ..Why?.. As always ….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good morning Julian. As an unknowing well preserved city slicker, wandering the green, grey, brown. wastes of my postage stamp, you know I have to ask ..Why?.. As always ….

Because most of the city folk are north of albany on weekends thru november or so. 
 

also why driving into the city on sunday nights blows. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Because most of the city folk are north of albany on weekends thru november or so. 
 

also why driving into the city on sunday nights blows. 

As does every other night of the week. I won’t be one of them in any direction. As always …….

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rclab said:

As does every other night of the week. I won’t be one of them in any direction. As always …….

It always shocks non tri state area commuters when they see the sunday night traffic. It rivals most morning commutes in parts of the city. Only thing worse is friday afternoons.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BxEngine said:

It always shocks non tri state area commuters when they see the sunday night traffic. It rivals most morning commutes in parts of the city. Only thing worse is friday afternoons.

Amen. I remember taking a trip to Meriden Connecticut about 30 years ago, on a rainy summer Friday. Left at 3:30pm on the Gowanus, arrived at the relatives 11:30 pm. Thank heaven for the NE thruway rest stops.   It took almost 3 hours to get to the city limits. I was tempted to turn it into a horror short. As always ….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I still wonder how many of those folks pick the very pretty red leaves…of poison ivy… to bring home. 

 

53 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Hopefully all of them.

 

 

18DF8204-3BB6-4EE3-81B7-086D739C3BD7.jpeg

At least now I know where it comes from. The D & D brigade on the way home. I have found that even in the inner city you can enjoy leaf peeping within walking distance ( if your determined enough ) As always …..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nothing says Columbus Day like getting tore up by skeeters while trying to keep the yellow jackets out of your beverage as you watch the mostly brown maple leaves drop…at least they are dropping pretty much on schedule for these parts. 

For a moment, Irish, I envisioned you as the narrator introducing a new Hallmark Special reflecting the state of today. You can cast BxE, Julian, and gravity creatively. As always ….

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, LaGrangewx said:

Indian Head in the Adirondacks. One of the most picturesque settings on the East Coast in my opinion.

Hmm, I'll be up that way tomorrow but only have time to drive through because I'll be working. Gonna have to stop and absorb the scene.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, BxEngine said:

It always shocks non tri state area commuters when they see the sunday night traffic. It rivals most morning commutes in parts of the city. Only thing worse is friday afternoons.

It also creates the longest traffic jams ever. They tend to start somewhere around I84 lately. We were at Woodbury Commons a few Sundays ago and to come home through Bear Mt was 4 hours on Google Maps so I had to go north and over on 84 so it was only 2:45. It's usually 45 minutes or so. That sucked. Then last weekend we were at a fair in Rhinebeck and it would have been 3 hours on the Taconic/84 or Rt 9/9G so I took back roads through the hills so it was an hour faster. It usually only takes 1:10. Fk Sundays...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Did any of you guys see that surprise northern lights display the other night?  I was shocked that it looked so good in Cleveland but no pictures coming out of the NE.

And it was only mentioned by the media after the fact.

Not much of a surprise to be fair, the M-flare and full-halo CME were pretty well documented by all the usual imaging instruments. My camera picked up some faint color within a few degrees of the northern horizon but nothing out of the ordinary. It did look like a great show in the Plains and Midwest, which is favored by higher geomagnetic latitudes and the oblong auroral oval vs. the coasts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Not much of a surprise to be fair, the M-flare and full-halo CME were pretty well documented by all the usual imaging instruments. My camera picked up some faint color within a few degrees of the northern horizon but nothing out of the ordinary. It did look like a great show in the Plains and Midwest, which is favored by higher geomagnetic latitudes and the oblong auroral oval vs. the coasts.

Oh so that's why they are better visible over there vs the east coast.  I thought it was because of lower light pollution there.  Is geomagnetic latitude measured from the north magnetic pole?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Oh so that's why they are better visible over there vs the east coast.  I thought it was because of lower light pollution there.  Is geomagnetic latitude measured from the north magnetic pole?

That's it! You've seen maps like this, the values are bogus imo but the contours have the right shape... to see the same intensity display in northern Iowa you'd have to go to far NNE

https://darksitefinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/KP-Map.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That's it! You've seen maps like this, the values are bogus imo but the contours have the right shape... to see the same intensity display in northern Iowa you'd have to go to far NNE

https://darksitefinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/KP-Map.png

So when people say, a place like say, Kansas City, got to see the northern lights, that's not too impressive when it comes to what we might be able to see at our latitude.  I don't even remember the last time the northern lights were easily visible down here.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

So when people say, a place like say, Kansas City, got to see the northern lights, that's not too impressive when it comes to what we might be able to see at our latitude.  I don't even remember the last time the northern lights were easily visible down here.

 

The only representation of northern lights, as seen from the roof of my Bk, NYC row house, is known as the skyline. As always …..

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, rclab said:

The only representation of northern lights, as seen from the roof of my Bk, NYC row house, is known as the skyline. As always …..

My dad really wanted to see the northern lights but never got to see them.  The year he passed away in 2014 he would wake up in the middle of the night and thought he saw them outside the window and he would call me to ask me to get up and see them too.  I didn't know what to say when I couldn't see them, so I would just tell him, "I see them too, Dad, I can see them too."

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

My dad really wanted to see the northern lights but never got to see them.  The year he passed away in 2014 he would wake up in the middle of the night and thought he saw them outside the window and he would call me to ask me to get up and see them too.  I didn't know what to say when I couldn't see them, so I would just tell him, "I see them too, Dad, I can see them too."

 

Even though it’s  years past I offer my deepest sympathy. A good person whose dreams stayed with, comforted and left with him, as he passed. What you said to your father was right and true and if you look carefully again, you, as he did, will see them also. As always ….

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...