Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

9 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Something ate the wife’s black cherry tomato plant right down to the stem, she ain’t happy. It wasn’t a deer or ground hog due to the fences, anyone have any idea what it could’ve been?  She did see a bird in there one day but no idea what kind. 

What kind of fence? Rabbits can fit through surprisingly tiny gaps and let none of their meal go to waste

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

What kind of fence? Rabbits can fit through surprisingly tiny gaps and let none of their meal go to waste

what about an electric fence....I'm about ready to do that to keep deer out.

Good thing we don't live in a place where elephants live, they are SMART.  I saw a doc in which elephants knew how to disable electric fences by repeatedly bashing them with tree trunks and when the electricity was short circuited they would carefully open up the fence and enter......

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Good thing we don't live in a place where elephants live, they are SMART.  I saw a doc in which elephants knew how to disable electric fences by repeatedly bashing them with tree trunks and when the electricity was short circuited they would carefully open up the fence and enter......

We are so self absorbed with our own brand of intelligence that we forget the capabilities of our fellow creatures whom often use it better. As always .... 

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

For deer, electric fences suffer the same limitation as any other fence in that unless they're minimum 7 feet high, they're as good as no fence at all. I use a little Havahart electrified system as a last defense against breaches in the chicken wire and deer netting. That's about where I draw the line though... before you know it you've built Fort Knox and spent 5 grand to grow $17 worth of tomatoes

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It seems like the short-term models have backed off a bit on the instability and shear profiles for today's storm setup. MLLRs in particular have taken a hit. PWATs remain very high so any storm is an opportunity for torrential rainfall, which I'm finally ready to concede is needed.

Yeah, its rather dusty out there and the ornamental grasses are showing signs that they need a good drink now. 

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, its rather dusty out there and the ornamental grasses are showing signs that they need a good drink now. 

I just want to be done with the pollen. Impossible to keep a car or window pane clean. I'm not sure if it's still coming out of the trees, or just getting kicked up when someone three miles upwind decides to mow his lawn.

• Like 1

Yeah it has been pretty terrible for longer than usual this year. My eyes pretty much never get all itchy and red like they have been recently. It totally saps my energy for the day somewhere around 3 too. Allergies are rarely a thing for me but the last week or so has sucked. 

If we get wet later what's the timing? The garden is borderline dry and I can't decide if I should water it now before the heat or wait for t-storms (which might not happen)?

• Like 1

Just now, gravitylover said:

Yeah it has been pretty terrible for longer than usual this year. My eyes pretty much never get all itchy and red like they have been recently. It totally saps my energy for the day somewhere around 3 too. Allergies are rarely a thing for me but the last week or so has sucked. 

If we get wet later what's the timing? The garden is borderline dry and I can't decide if I should water it now before the heat or wait for t-storms (which might not happen)?

I'd water, we all won't see rain today, in fact my guess is that many will remain dry or get so little it won't matter.  Fridays rain looks ok though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

90/64 here.  Watch now up, with the s/w surface flow no marine influence should knock down what development happens up in our region.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch Number 206
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   245 PM EDT Wed May 26 2021

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of 
     Western Connecticut
     District Of Columbia
     Delaware
     Maryland
     New Jersey
     Southeast New York
     Eastern Pennsylvania