• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021 Medium/Longterm Pattern Discussion.

AMZ8990

3 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

Honestly, Canada being warm(ish) right now is the only thing keeping us from an I-10 storm threat as opposed to I-40. I’ll never wish to see warmer air but I’m genuinely concerned about suppression with what we’re seeing. 

Yeah, 17-18 (late Dec/early Jan) when we had that monster -EPO....one of the driest patterns I have seen during mid-winter and very cold.  The North Fork of the Holston froze over here.  I could be wrong, but I doubt with this background rainy pattern that we go very long without a storm pattern.   If we get cold, might start seeing some 70s analogs start to show up.  

• Like 2

Very cold northern hemisphere on the 18z GFS-Para as Holston notes...-30s at the very end of its run into North Dakota.  That will probably change in future runs one way or another. That said, we want to see that type of cold showing up periodically on modeling during the next week.  Saw some hints this morning that the flow was reversing late in the d14-16 time frame.  So, seeing a slight rend towards some extremes just after the middle of the month.

18z PARA GFS popped some snow as the first upper low scoots across the region.
  • Like 1

The 12z GFS and ICON are very close to a snowstorm now on the 8th/9th for NE TN.  The ICON has measurable snow here, and the GFS just pasted all of western North Carolina and NE TN from Sullivan Co eastward. Event has to be "super close" in regards to temps as WxBell has a major event but TT does not.  WxBell has 5-6" across NE TN in the valleys.  The ICOn has 2-4."

Pivotal has the NE TN snowfall on Jan 8th on its site.  Sharp, sharp cutoff.  6-7" from say Hawkins Co to the east.  Trends will be a total bear for this.  I would not assume this system trends NW as previous systems have.  This has been treading steadily SE as the block has been felt - so, this could be a one off.  However, seeing a couple of models jump on this system at 12z at least catches my eye.   Would be feeling really good in western NC about right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

That ended poorly, lol. 

The -NAO, in my experience, is usually less of a culprit of pushing things to the GOM than say a really strong -EPO.  There is really nothing to dig a storm deep into the south.  I expect a lot of sliders, bowling balls, and systems that pop along the coast.  Area of confluence is right over North Carolina.   Whether it happens or not, that is the real question.  However, this is why eastern valley folks like NAOs.  Just stinks that we don't have a bit more cold to work with or these would snows and placement would simply be the questions vs having to have a perfect track.  Bowling ball looks like it could certainly be a score for someone in the Upper South...question is where?

• Like 1

12z Euro trended NW and slightly less strung out.  How much it climbs the coast is a big deal for NE TN folks.  Right now, the CMC is right in the middle...and was closer to be correct with higher accumulations than other modeling at range.   Again, really doubt modeling has caught up to this - if real.  

Something has changed in modeling for that many global models to all of the sudden reach agreement.  My guess is that modeling has not caught up to this storm - trends could obviously be better or worse!  LOL.  We will certainly take a good 12z suite of operatonals though!

Agreed. I’m not sure I’ve seen every single global model latch onto a similar solution in one run before.

12z GFS, EURO, CMC, ICON, UKMET all have a similar solution with someone in NE-TN/mountains/NC/SWVA getting accumulating snow.

Even the ACCESS-G (Australian) has a pasting for the mountains. Yes, I just found that model haha.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic