Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Hogans 4 steps to open up the state

1. increase testing, goal is to do 10K tests a day. working on partnerships with whatever private labs they can to make this happen

2. increasing hospital surge capacity, particularly in MoCo, PG, Charles counties where cases are higher. More response tents to be available

3. ramping up supply of PPE, deliveries coming in daily... 4.5 million n95 masks expected to arrive in the next week.

4. Contact tracing - 250 people working on that now, but plan to expand to 1,000 people dedicated to contact tracing

full thread of points here

Just now, mappy said:

Hogans 4 steps to open up the state

1. increase testing, goal is to do 10K tests a day. working on partnerships with whatever private labs they can to make this happen

2. increasing hospital surge capacity, particularly in MoCo, PG, Charles counties where cases are higher. More response tents to be available

3. ramping up supply of PPE, deliveries coming in daily... 4.5 million n95 masks expected to arrive in the next week.

4. Contact tracing - 250 people working on that now, but plan to expand to 1,000 people dedicated to contact tracing

full thread of points here

Smart and what I've been saying this entire time. Exactly what we need to do. Get PPE, get testing, get contact tracing.

2 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Has this lockdown made anyone else think about how just non-essential most of us really are..  everyday I sit on conference calls from like 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and the only thing that ever happens is people talk.. these conference calls are really only sound boards for people who have absolutely no use to the organizations that they work for.  Everyday, I wonder how is it that my employer actually justifies paying me for what I do.  It really is insane.  

lol nope. been producing deliverables for weeks now without issue. big air force contract in full swing

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

Im sure the amount of infections are much higher I agree. But they still wouldnt be in the ball park of influenza.

There is some evidence from Iceland, Germany, and China that this virus is much more infectious than the flu. It can possibly spread from simply breathing. That's the whole point of "flatten the curve."

Just now, PhineasC said:

There is some evidence from Iceland, Germany, and China that this virus is much more infectious than the flu. It can possibly spread from simply breathing. That's the whole point of "flatten the curve."

Right, because we don't want to see 30 million infected in the span of a couple weeks, that would be a nightmare.

Either way, honestly, a lot of this debate is for nothing. Public health officials have us locked down right now, 81% support being locked down, and a lot of us have no interest in playing with an unknown new virus. Even if things suddenly opened, which they won't, so it's a bit of an irrelevant point, we're not likely collectively to engage in high levels of economic activity until things are under control.

Just now, supernovasky said:

Right, because we don't want to see 30 million infected in the span of a couple weeks, that would be a nightmare.

Either way, honestly, a lot of this debate is for nothing. Public health officials have us locked down right now, 81% support being locked down, and a lot of us have no interest in playing with an unknown new virus. Even if things suddenly opened, which they won't, so it's a bit of an irrelevant point, we're not likely collectively to engage in high levels of economic activity until things are under control.

Sounds like you think we need to prep for supply shortages, unemployment 30%+, rapidly increased mental health burden, etc.

7 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Has this lockdown made anyone else think about how just non-essential most of us really are..  everyday I sit on conference calls from like 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM and the only thing that ever happens is people talk.. these conference calls are really only sound boards for people who have absolutely no use to the organizations that they work for.  Everyday, I wonder how is it that my employer actually justifies paying me for what I do.  It really is insane.  

Not personally, but it really opens the eyes to how much of the economy is, for lack of a better term, optional.  Nobody needs to go to restaurants, vacations, sporting events, concerts, etc.  That is all part of the human experience, but it is truly non-essential.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

Not personally, but it really opens the eyes to how much of the economy is, for lack of a better term, optional.  Nobody needs to go to restaurants, vacations, sporting events, concerts, etc.  That is all part of the human experience, but it is truly non-essential.

Yup. The essential goods economy isn't going anywhere. The rampant pointless consumerism though... I'm honestly OK with collectively taking a break from it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It’s essential for mental health. Wait until they crunch the suicide stats after a summer of lockdown.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

That’s good you have a year+ of wages in the bank and food/supplies stockpiled. What about the 99% of Americans who do not?

I'm not that prepared. But regardless I think we are heading in that direction either way, but I also don't think we'll be in full lockdown for more than a couple more months.

But yeah. We're going to be economically depressed for a while. No matter what we do really.

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Non-essential work from home capable crew represent! :)

i'm technically essential, well, my company is. but i've been working from home for weeks now. as long as schools are closed, i won't be in the office. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

i'm technically essential, well, my company is. but i've been working from home for weeks now. as long as schools are closed, i won't be in the office. 

Sounds good. I've been working from home for 4 years so... TBH not a ton has changed.

Although I'd love to get out of the house again.

4 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Great.  Let’s destroy the “human experience”.  Seems to be going well so far.  Mass unemployment, authoritarian government control, neighbors snitching on neighbors in the interest of the “common good”.  What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

Just now, supernovasky said:

Sounds good. I've been working from home for 4 years so... TBH not a ton has changed.

Although I'd love to get out of the house again.

LOL OK a lot makes sense now...

Yeah this is similar to the retirees on my Facebook saying we must stay locked down all summer while they tend their gardens and drink wine...

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

Great.  Let’s destroy the “human experience”.  Seems to be going well so far.  Mass unemployment, authoritarian government control, neighbors snitching on neighbors in the interest of the “common good”.  What could possibly go wrong?

Would be a great time to attempt a coup and/or request "emergency powers."

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

LOL OK a lot makes sense now...

Yeah this is similar to the retirees on my Facebook saying we must stay locked down all summer while they tend their gardens and drink wine...

Don't be so sure lol. I love getting out of the house as much as everyone else. I miss movies and restaurants and I'm a deacon in my church and it sucks so badly that we're not meeting in person anymore.

8 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I'm not that prepared. But regardless I think we are heading in that direction either way, but I also don't think we'll be in full lockdown for more than a couple more months.

But yeah. We're going to be economically depressed for a while. No matter what we do really.

I think the lockdown needs to ease by 1 June at the latest or there will be major issues. Again, this global lockdown is absolutely unprecedented in human history, and frankly COVID-19 is way less deadly even with zero immunity than the bubonic plague, Spanish Flu, ebola, etc. I sure hope this ends up being the right call...

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think the lockdown needs to ease by 1 June at the latest or there will be major issues. Again, this global lockdown is absolutely unprecedented in human history, and frankly COVID-19 is way less deadly even with zero immunity than the bubonic plague, black death, ebola, etc. I sure hope this ends up being the right call...

I actually agree that June 1 seems like a reasonable date. 45 more days of lockdown should be able to bring the cases down to a level we can contact trace and manage.

There may be more smaller lockdowns in the future though if clusters emerge. But they should be local/regional.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic