• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]

Lake Effect 2019-20 Thread

Just now, Snowstorms said:

We need a strong Gulf Low with the PV parked near Hudson Bay to get blizzard like conditions. A storm like Dec 92, but a bit colder, would likely meet that criteria. Isn’t there like a snowfall criteria too? 

Nope, just wind and visibility.

20 minutes ago, slow poke said:

Wow, impressive lake effect for late February, ice free lakes will do that I guess 

Yea, the above avg temps and the strong SW winds that cleared what ice we had on Lake Mi is really helping the cause. Sadly this has probable been one of the biggest LES events of the season so far.

17 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Nope, just wind and visibility.

The December 10-11, 1992 storm was pure wet, heavy snow with temperatures staying around freezing for the entire event. 

10 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Yea, the above avg temps and the strong SW winds that cleared what ice we had on Lake Mi is really helping the cause. Sadly this has probable been one of the biggest LES events of the season so far.

Not a great setup around here (maybe an inch total of LES), but I do believe this is the first time all year that the lake effect window lasted more than 6-8 hours.  Nothing heavy around here like your region is getting, but nice to see the radar lighting up with LES for once.

12 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Lived almost my entire life in Toronto and we've never been under a blizzard warning :(

So, you're looking at 2.5-3 feet of snow basically.  Photos would be swell!

We were one hour short of Blizzard conditions for the late Jan 2019 storm.

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Not a great setup around here (maybe an inch total of LES), but I do believe this is the first time all year that the lake effect window lasted more than 6-8 hours.  Nothing heavy around here like your region is getting, but nice to see the radar lighting up with LES for once.

Been getting hammered since last evening, picked up another foot so far, easily the best LES of the season which is definitely not the norm but the torch winter has impacted the whole region. 

1 hour ago, josh_4184 said:

Been getting hammered since last evening, picked up another foot so far, easily the best LES of the season which is definitely not the norm but the torch winter has impacted the whole region. 

Nice, we’ll be up in your area tomorrow, gonna ride up to some friends of ours place in Lakes of the North, let it snow!

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

Nice, we’ll be up in your area tomorrow, gonna ride up to some friends of ours place in Lakes of the North, let it snow!

I'm about two miles from LON we have a ton of snow light fluffy LES but at least its something.  Picked up around 16-18" since yesterday.

18 hours ago, snowcaine said:

We were one hour short of Blizzard conditions for the late Jan 2019 storm.

I checked...it doesn't look like it.  Unless I'm looking at the wrong storm.

6 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Jan 28, I have it recorded that visibility was 400 m or less from 1:15 pm to 3:45 pm, so about an hour and a half short I guess. Criteria is 4 or more consecutive hours of 400 m or less. Toronto island was under 600 m for nearly 6 hours which is pretty impressive. I believe downtown and midtown were hit hardest compared to YYZ and YTZ but we don't have visibility observations for the city centre itself. I got 35 cm at my place and I could barely see the house across the street for hours. Definitely my favourite storm I've ever experienced.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, josh_4184 said:

Here are some pictures from snow blowing a second time today.89029687_10216361411007428_6989980075043

Nice setup.  My neighbor in Ellsworth had the same combo you do.

I have a 54" Bercomac blower with a drift cutter extension that will eat through 30-35" snow effortlessly.... also have a 30" walk behind for touching up, and a blade for plowing on the other wheeler.  I've invested 7500.00 in snow removal equipment living here and that doesn't include the two quads.

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.775c99031c779fd6b4b61a86a6d0f11f.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Feb 2013 came close but winds only maxed out at 35km/hr. 8 straight hours of +SN at YYZ. Can't get much better than that. 

Easily the best storm of the decade imo. 

5 hours ago, snowcaine said:

Jan 28, I have it recorded that visibility was 400 m or less from 1:15 pm to 3:45 pm, so about an hour and a half short I guess. Criteria is 4 or more consecutive hours of 400 m or less. Toronto island was under 600 m for nearly 6 hours which is pretty impressive. I believe downtown and midtown were hit hardest compared to YYZ and YTZ but we don't have visibility observations for the city centre itself. I got 35 cm at my place and I could barely see the house across the street for hours. Definitely my favourite storm I've ever experienced.

But the wind component for blizzard criteria was non-existent in that storm.

2 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Feb 2013 came close but winds only maxed out at 35km/hr. 8 straight hours of +SN at YYZ. Can't get much better than that. 

Easily the best storm of the decade imo. 

Yeah, I'd go with Feb 2013 over Jan 2019, but just barely, for snow storm of the decade.  Actually, the ice storm trumps both imo.

16 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

But the wind component for blizzard criteria was non-existent in that storm.

Sustained at YYZ may seem low but gusts met criteria. Additionally, YTZ was 30-40 G 50-60 most of the event. Just need sustained or gusts over 40

Jan 2019 beats Feb 2013 for me because it happened during the day. Amounts were similar. But definitely the Dec 2013 ice storms wins this competition, with July 2013 floods a close second. 2013 was a busy year for Toronto.

7 hours ago, UMB WX said:

4 pages. lol winter 2020. Beavis for President.  Good thing the UP cleaned up early with system snow.

Yeah, it ended up being the worst lake effect season in decades here. Even worse then 2011-12.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:36 PM, josh_4184 said:

Here are some pictures from snow blowing a second time today.

85207492_10216361409927401_507868850699088426602_10216361410207408_725501207440389029687_10216361411007428_698998007504388967864_10216361408887375_6810652228223

Rode up to Lakes of the North Saturday, took all gas lines, 2 tracks and seasonal roads to get there, snow was good. Way back we ran the groomed trail down to starvation lake, then ran 2 tracks and seasonal roads back down from there. Best snow we found seemed to be from about M72 north to C38, in that area in the untouched spots it was probably 24”-30” but in about a 3 to 5 mile wide band just south of starvation lake we found snow crazy deep spots. Probably 36”+ , the north side of hills in the shade that were untouched we found a spot that was up to the middle of my chest and I’m a hair over 6’ tall with my boots on! The reason I know how deep it was is because I was stuck trying to out high mark my son who was already stuck. Great way to end the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slow poke said:

Rode up to Lakes of the North Saturday, took all gas lines, 2 tracks and seasonal roads to get there, snow was good. Way back we ran the groomed trail down to starvation lake, then ran 2 tracks and seasonal roads back down from there. Best snow we found seemed to be from about M72 north to C38, in that area in the untouched spots it was probably 24”-30” but in about a 3 to 5 mile wide band just south of starvation lake we found snow crazy deep spots. Probably 36”+ , the north side of hills in the shade that were untouched we found a spot that was up to the middle of my chest and I’m a hair over 6’ tall with my boots on! The reason I know how deep it was is because I was stuck trying to out high mark my son who was already stuck. Great way to end the season.

Awesome glad you had a good time definitely the best weekend for off trail riding of the year, I was around 28-30" imby which was the deepest of the year for me, most years usually hit around 35"+.

I know a couple honey holes I used to hit that I bet were around 35-40 deep untouched to bad I sold my sled but just dont have the time nor the friends anymore. Plus the cost would rather spend elsewhere. 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, weatherbo said:

Nice setup.  My neighbor in Ellsworth had the same combo you do.

I have a 54" Bercomac blower with a drift cutter extension that will eat through 30-35" snow effortlessly.... also have a 30" walk behind for touching up, and a blade for plowing on the other wheeler.  I've invested 7500.00 in snow removal equipment living here and that doesn't include the two quads.

IMG_2301.thumb.JPG.775c99031c779fd6b4b61a86a6d0f11f.JPG

I have almost 10k in the x590 with 54" deck and 47" blower, I have a cab too just didn't have time to put it on this year so been without it. It eats snow no issue, blew though 24" without even trying only issue I have it my driveway is so long and wide near mu barn it takes forever snowblowing. I am seriously considering a plow setup either with truck or sxs as I di have plenty of runoff areas to push the snow and will cut down my 2 hours of blowing to about 15 mins of plowing plus would be much warmer. 

• Thanks 1