• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

I’m looking forward to my first trip to the mountains of North Carolina. Have heard from many people how beautiful Maggie Valley is. Hoping that this is the start of some good trends for all of us that will be in these areas. 
It really is nice. I got married down there back in August. If you are into waterfalls be sure to check out Soco Falls. It's roadside about halfway between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Beautiful twin falls. Would be great to see in the snow.
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyler Penland said:
2 minutes ago, BhamParker said:
I’m looking forward to my first trip to the mountains of North Carolina. Have heard from many people how beautiful Maggie Valley is. Hoping that this is the start of some good trends for all of us that will be in these areas. 

It really is nice. I got married down there back in August. If you are into waterfalls be sure to check out Soco Falls. It's roadside about halfway between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. Beautiful twin falls. Would be great to see in the snow.

We are staying not far at all from Soco falls, so we will def have to check it out. We are about 3800 feet up and not far from the catalooche ski area. 

4 minutes ago, BhamParker said:

The NW Blue Ridge is much better IMO :)  large views, cliffs and peaks...hit the parkway up here between Blowing Rock and Linville...then go to Hampton's General Store for some awesome food :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BhamParker said:

Enjoy your trip to Haywood County!  Grab breakfast at Joey’s Pancake House there in Maggie, make the short drive over to the western side of Clyde and eat at the Blue Rooster cafe and then if you like beer you have Boojum Brewery in downtown Waynesville and swing by the Blue Ridge Beer Hub just down the street from there to check out their selection of brews from all over (my craft beer go to) to take home with you.  Hopefully the weather cooperates!

• Like 2

All I can hope for is that being high in elevation will throw me a surprise. I’ve noticed with some of you over the last couple events, have been surprised with a couple of inches above 3500 feet and most models really weren’t showing much in the way of accumulation. I know some haven’t seen much, but at least I’ll have some kind of elevation on my side and I’ll drive up higher if I need to. 

10 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

The NW Blue Ridge is much better IMO :)  large views, cliffs and peaks...hit the parkway up here between Blowing Rock and Linville...then go to Hampton's General Store for some awesome food :)

If there is a threat of snow the parkway will close the gates.

1 hour ago, BhamParker said:

All I can hope for is that being high in elevation will throw me a surprise. I’ve noticed with some of you over the last couple events, have been surprised with a couple of inches above 3500 feet and most models really weren’t showing much in the way of accumulation. I know some haven’t seen much, but at least I’ll have some kind of elevation on my side and I’ll drive up higher if I need to. 

You got options.  North of 40 you can drive up to Max Patch (it’ll take a while on the first service roads) and get above 4500’ or if you want a bit of a hike and to get above 5800’ you can access Mount Sterling on the east side of the National Park.  You’ll have to get there from the Waterville area though, the other roads on that side of the park (Cataloochee area) are closed for construction.  It’s about a 3 mile hike from the trailhead at Mount Sterling Gap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

It's the long range NAM against the world.. we know how this usually turns out

Hey it’s been consistent and CMC is kinda similar. Euro has been back and forth and the 12z EPS was the first bad run of the EPS in many runs.

It could easily be wrong, but I sure won’t ignore it. 

Just now, BhamParker said:

Hey it’s been consistent and CMC is kinda similar. Euro has been back and forth and the 12z EPS was the first bad run of the EPS in many runs.

It could easily be wrong, but I sure won’t ignore it. 

Not that it's wrong, but the Nam has a HEAVY bias of over amplifying systems, which considering the factors at play, would be the reason it shows this snowy solution. Until other models fully agree with the NAM, or show a similar solution...Take that with a giant bag of salt.

3 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Midday models call rain with backside snow. I  am 100% tossing the Nam's solution.

Like you said, its bias for overamping storms is obvious with this one. Pretty much every other model is progressive with the storm and only gets lighter precip into WNC either way, 

Just now, AsheCounty48 said:

Ukie pretty much in line with the Euro with the more eastern solution and possibly dry for the main event.  So that's about all ya need to know.

I remember the days when the NAM often fell in line with the Euro and that combo was hard to beat...

12 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Ukie pretty much in line with the Euro with the more eastern solution and possibly dry for the main event.  So that's about all ya need to know.

It looks good for the wrap around 

I’m just happy that all models are starting to come around for the idea of accumulating snow on the ULL feature after the first wave this weekend. If we score anything at all on the first part, it would be a bonus. 

20FCB007-53DA-4C7C-9465-D14D169126EE.png

• Weenie 1