Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Events Jan 17-20

ChescoWx

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

How much further s can this come in? I don't think 95 can see all snow but something like the Euro 3-6" followed by sleet and freezing rain would be a major event. Things have quickly got interesting down here. Will the trends continue or do we see things level off from here? The -AO definitely looks to stay in place although it approaches positive. It creates just enough blocking for most of us. Very very close to everyone being in the game. Next 24 hours should be fun between the minor event and tracking this.

Quite a difference between upper and lower Bucks and Montgomery counties. Hopefully you (lower Bucks) and I (lower Mont) can eek out some of the good stuff. Still 2+ days to work on things...  

4 hours ago, anthonyweather said:

I’m like 6-12” for Lv

Majority of guidance zeroing in on central bucks being a battleground between a SECS and a VD 07 redux (massive sleet storm). Certainly not looking like all snow as upper levels appear to torch still. However 2m temps look cold enough to support frozen thru much of the event. 

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Majority of guidance zeroing in on central bucks being a battleground between a SECS and a VD 07 redux (massive sleet storm). Certainly not looking like all snow as upper levels appear to torch still. However 2m temps look cold enough to support frozen thru much of the event. 

If this happens and KamuSnow places his "sleet pile" in the correct location (limited/no sun) I swear it could last through March into April w/our outlook. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

If this happens and KamuSnow places his "sleet pile" in the correct location (limited/no sun) I swear it could last through March into April w/our outlook. 

I've backed off analyzing in the great detail the LR stuff for a bit, but last I saw the PV visit was transient then we moderate and have the usual Feb roller coaster with nothing sustained as the pattern and war/nao roll over continues on. 

The thing is this flip to a 'sustained neg nao'/'epic pattern' is still days 10-15 on the ens.....same place it has been for over 2 weeks now.  If u go back and look at the CPC graphs u will also see the 12 day+ forecasts have been to go deep neg but the verifications have been neutral to slightly positive at best. The war has been the anomalous area where our neg nao was to develop from via migration but the tendency we saw at the start of the season is currently showing up again irt to rolling over that ridge. Eventually a piece of the war will break off and head towards the nao region but im skeptical that it stalls there and locks in based on the nina-esque progressions we have seen and are still seeing in poleward regions.

1-3" tonight then a mess over the weekend. Short term apparent weather has been much more satisfying to track this season.

• Like 1

Latest Wxsim with 6z data shows snow by 9pm tonight with 2.0" before ending by 6am tomorrow. Then Snow arrives Saturday afternoon becoming moderate to heavy becoming heavy sleet by 6pm with 3.0" to 5.0" of Snow/IP before changing to ZR by 9:30pm - ZR till midnight with 0.40" falling as ZR. Then temps warm above freezing at midnight with heavy rain falling through 9am with another 1.70" of rain before ending around 9am Sunday morning

mt holly kind brushed over the ice threat in their morning update. Seem to think it will mostly be either snow or rain with a small sliver of sleet/freezing rain. They're still thinking 95 and most of the metro area remain mostly rain. Not sure I agree with that based on the trends. Someone is going to see a significant ice event imo and I think it should be getting more traction with the amount of precipitation in this system. 2 inches LE of Snow/sleet/freezing rain is glacier territory...

Looks like models are actually settling in..12z NAM backed off a bit as it's more amped...still a lot of ice though for 95 before going to rain. I think the chance of this being a mostly snow event down here are around nil. Thinking we may have a VD 07 like sleet/frz event setting up though. Low level cold definitely will be stronger than what is being depicted atm

namconus_asnow_neus_28.png

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like models are actually settling in..12z NAM backed off a bit as it's more amped...still a lot of ice though for 95 before going to rain. I think the chance of this being a mostly snow event down here are around nil. Thinking we may have a VD 07 like sleet/frz event setting up though. Low level cold definitely will be stronger than what is being depicted atm

namconus_asnow_neus_28.png

Oddly(?) the 6z euro and 12z nam scour out that ll cold rather quickly. Less of s cad look with these runs. Let's see if 12z continues towards this idea.

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Oddly(?) the 6z euro and 12z nam scour out that ll cold rather quickly. Less of s cad look with these runs. Let's see if 12z continues towards this idea.

Not sure I buy it. I understand the upper levels torching quick but I just don't see the low level cold being scoured out as quick as depicted right now. We see it a lot in these situations. If the primary gets above our latitude I would buy it more, but with the transfer to the coast occurring below us now, I think the models will adjust to the CAD as we get closer. Very rarely is it handled well outside 72 hours.

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Not sure I buy it. I understand the upper levels torching quick but I just don't see the low level cold being scoured out as quick as depicted right now. We see it a lot in these situations. If the primary gets above our latitude I would buy it more, but with the transfer to the coast occurring below us now, I think the models will adjust to the CAD as we get closer. Very rarely is it handled well outside 72 hours.

I agree with this but we are seeing less of the transfer type look on those models I mentioned. Of interest is the NAM is usually most accurate with the cad features and is quickly losing that idea? Might be a red flag or perhaps just a blip run. Awaiting rest of 12z but wont make a solid call based on this one run alone that's for sure. Potential is there still for quite a mess in our area.

I'll be honest, I sort of like where I am at the moment.  I would rather have the lower snow accum if cold rain is just going to wash it away.  I'm still a little concerned about ice.  Will be interesting to see just how impactful the folks that are right on the line (which should be well NW of me atm) of an event this will be.   Surely you guys will have a good consensus this afternoon, or after tonight's model runs once our little storm is out of the way.

Here is round 2 on the icon with the 2nd coastal low it forms after the front clears. Guess it's not out if the question  with the war still there but the caa behind the front making a pass looks like it is hellbent on trucking thru and not allowing further development to affect us. Icon says nah I will slow the front to a crawl and hit you guys again.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_27.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Interesting to note how far south today's threat came. This was initially a rain event for 95...now looks to remain all snow. a similar shift with this storm and many of us would be in the game big time.

Initially this was a HECS 5 days ago if u recall. Some guidance had 40"+ for DC. The wavering solutions have been really interesting.

Eta: I dont think we are done with bouncing around until this wave tonight passes thru earliest. I could still it trending either way tbh.