Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best Wx Model Package

40/70 Benchmark

Best Weather Package  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which best suites your weenie needs?

• Wxbell
    • Stormvista
    • Eurowx
    • Weathermodels.com
    • Weather.us

I like the Euro cross-section products available on weatherbell for winter storms... anyone know if other services offer similar?

I've always considered NWS to be the gold standard for forecasts, but it's interesting to see how many private services are now competing.

Along with the pervasive access to (and improving quality of) computer models that have taken some of the fun out of these forums. 

I've commented on this before... uncertainty and flawed modeling are part of why this hobby can be so suspenseful, addictive, and fun. And why it's a learning experience too. Maybe it's inevitable, but I'd hate a future where anyone could just rip-read a 100% accurate 96-hour computer model clown map that supplants the need to understand meteorology or the need for skilled forecasters.

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its slow, too....SV is first.

I won't switch for this reason, Its first out with the data so i'm always ahead of the other models that are several panels behind, Besides, I'm use to reading there maps although i have had weatherbell in the past but don't find it as user friendly as SV, I did subscribe to Maui's though as well this year

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I won't switch for this reason, Its first out with the data so i'm always ahead of the other models that are several panels behind, Besides, I'm use to reading there maps although i have had weatherbell in the past but don't find it as user friendly as SV, I did subscribe to Maui's though as well this year

Which site is Mauer's?

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Pretty much the same with a little better graphics i think, $12.99/mos i think its worth it, Weather bell is $24.99/mos, But my go to is still SV.

I don't find weathermodels nearly as user friendly though for some reason.  I think the actual user interface is better on wxbell but I'm sure you get used to anything if you use it enough.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don't find weathermodels nearly as user friendly though for some reason.  I think the actual user interface is better on wxbell but I'm sure you get used to anything if you use it enough.

Well, I find neither of them friendly....lol, But like you said, You get use to the graphics and maps from certain vendors, And the ease to navigate the site too.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Pretty much the same with a little better graphics i think, $12.99/mos i think its worth it, Weather bell is $24.99/mos, But my go to is still SV.

I think I'll try it instead of wxbell.....does it have the same timeftame overlay to toggle run to run changes?

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

During my trial I liked going old school and just using the link list.

https://weathermodels.com/index.php?r=site%2Fpreview-linklist

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Thanks.

Untelated question...but my Davis VP2 is draining the station 1 battery like every few days...think its the circuit board? Its 11 yrs old...

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Is there not just the most basic model map for that Euro data of 850mb temp, precip, and surface pressure?  

Wxbell has that but can't find it on weathermaps.  That's like the default classic model map...850s, sfc pressure and 6-hour precip.

32 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks.

Untelated question...but my Davis VP2 is draining the station 1 battery like every few days...think its the circuit board? Its 11 yrs old...

Sounds like a bad supercap on the PCB. Do you know anyone that's an expert at soldering PCB components? Replacement supercaps are pretty cheap.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Is there not just the most basic model map for that Euro data of 850mb temp, precip, and surface pressure?  

Wxbell has that but can't find it on weathermaps.  That's like the default classic model map...850s, sfc pressure and 6-hour precip.

No idea. I had the trial when he started up last year. I'm on the fence with who to go with. Who has more EPS/seasonal maps? Does wxbell have the off-hour EC?

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

No idea. I had the trial when he started up last year. I'm on the fence with who to go with. Who has more EPS/seasonal maps? Does wxbell have the off-hour EC?

No off-hour EC on WxBell. Never used Maue's new site so don't know what to compare it to, but I've generally been happy with the EPS and other Euro products on WxBell.

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Lol No. Is it a big job?

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/supercap-faults

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7370-093-pro2-super-capacitor-supercap/

there’s actually a spot there to add 2 supercaps there if you wanted. When soldering one on you need to make sure you have the correct polarity of the leads. Also, never bend the leads against the PCB or capacitor Use a couple sets of small pliers and support the base of the leads with one set of pliers while bending with the other pair to bend them to a 90 deg angle.

• Thanks 1