Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Upstate/Eastern New York

...A LINE OF HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT WAYNE...CAYUGA AND OSWEGO
COUNTIES...

At 835 PM EDT, a line of heavy snow was located across Central
Oswego county and moving from the northeast to the southwest this
evening. Snowfall rates of an inch or more per hour is occuring
within this band of snow with visibilities of a half a mile or less.
If traveling east bound across Wayne, Cayuga, and Oswego county this
evening expect to encounter snow covered roadways.

Locations impacted include...
Rochester, Irondequoit, Oswego, Fulton, Fair Haven Beach State Park,
Ontario, Newark, Williamson, Marion and Lyons.

As far as I can tell, the 0z suites have once again cut totals in KROC. Now down to an average of 4-5”. Low end 3”, high end 7 or 8”. I’ve had about 1.5-2” so far. 

This was never gonna be a warning event. Still fun. Now it’s all obs. Could there be local surprises? Maybe. Always possible. 

Pretty nice line moved through around 11pm with briefly hvy stuff. Now we are back to snow showers. Mod at times. 1 mi visibility.

7 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

So according to the high Rez nam, heaviest rates should be tonight with about 0.4” LE in 3-4 hours then a lull for most of the night without much precipitation before receiving another 0.8” liquid in the next 18 hrs or so..Let’s see how good it does..

Everything going as planned, light misty snow at the moment, should pick up in the next few hours..

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Not sure what to think, Lake Ontario needs to do the heavy lifting.This radar loop looks good. It's hitting at nighttime, everything is working in its favor to accumulate several inches. I never saw the totals that KBUF was seeing, I guess we will see.

WUNIDS_map?station=BUF&brand=wui&num=10&

Couldn’t agree more. I also never understood the Buf map. Sometimes they just go out on a limb. Without hardly any support. 

I questioned my conservative thinking a lot with this one. ESP after Bing expanded their warnings.  If Buf has the confidence to put out a snowfall map like they did I kinda think they should back it up with the appropriate headlines. 

I could easily eat these words. And Spring is tough. Elevation matters. I like areas like Skaneatles. But southern Monroe? 8-12? Ontario toying with 12-18? No warning?

i started thinking about pattern recognition. And if this LP retro’d into N Vermont, yeah, I could see it. But it was always progged to stay east of St Lawrence mouth. So I don’t get their numbers. I get their headlines. 

Just now, WxNoob said:

Not sure if I have Ontario to thank for this or some combination of Ontario and Cayuga but definitely overperfoming here.  Looks to be another band to the west enhanced by Seneca.

C29151F8-329B-43D9-8FF5-E7B073E25A8F.jpeg

Totally a finger lakes enhanced event. You have that N wind and elevation. Perfect set up. Must be fun! I love those micro climate areas. You look to be just east of that area that typically gets bonus snow from Cayuga?

• Like 1

If you look at the Georgian Bay Radar. It’s moving NE-SW. A big tell for big snow for Kroc. I might be talking myself out of my conservative stance. 

NWS was talking a west flow. Forget that. It’s a NE flow. Who knows. I’m sticking with 3-5”, 4-8”. But damn, if that system was just a bit further west, I’d be screaming “pattern recognition! This is a foot plus”. Especially this time of year. Ugh. Tough call. Lean low. 

26 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Totally a finger lakes enhanced event. You have that N wind and elevation. Perfect set up. Must be fun! I love those micro climate areas. You look to be just east of that area that typically gets bonus snow from Cayuga?

Finger Lakes give and take it seems but we definitely do well here on the backend of these expansive lows that push toward Maine.  Last March being another example as I recall.

• Like 1