• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pick a storm from the past that you would want for Christmas...

uncle W

December 5-6 1981 in Central MA where I grew up.  Saturday December 5, rain was forecasted to change to snow overnight and end the next morning, but there was question of intensity.  Well, it was more intense than they thought as the low deepened so quickly and the trough went so negative that it snowed in Southern New England while rain hit Eastern Maine.  

Light rain began falling Saturday afternoon around 3 where I lived and quickly changed to snow in 15 minutes, initially light, but picking up steadily.  Pavement was initially wet, but became snow covered through the evening.  Overnight, snow picked up and up with increasing winds.  Woke up from bed around midnight to look out the window and it was a white out with S+ and drifting.  When I awoke at 7 the next morning, close to 18 inches fell and it was still snowing at a good clip.  Snow tapered to snow showers around 10 with 20 inches total around the Worcester MA area.  

That would be an amazing storm to see again Christmas Eve into Christmas Day.  

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, uncle W said:

I want a snowstorm that isn't crippling...12" or less...a storm that starts around noon Christmas eve and ends around noon Christmas day...The December 24-25th, 1966 storm started around 8am and ended around 5am Christmas morning...if it wasn't for sleet mixing in Christmas eve afternoon it would be the storm I would want to see this year...A storm that fits the criteria I want was the January 19th-20th, 1961 storm...10" of powder with drifting and low temperatures...it started around noon and ended just before noon the next day...

if you don't want a storm for Christmas you can use past Christmas torch's...my favorite was the 69 in Newark Christmas day 1964...:arrowhead:

Delay that one about 18 hours and it would be my choice.  We had about 15" in NNJ with thundersnow about 2 PM.  I'd gone out hunting for squirrels and grouse about 9 AM in light snow, and came to the 345kv lines an hour or so later.  The hiss as flakes died on the wires told me that they were "hot" in more ways than one.  Snow got heavy about 1PM and by 2 I was in  grown-up field near to the road I'd walk home on.  Only heard two booms, and since thunder during a snowstorm was "impossible" (in my mind), my first guess was sonic boom.  2nd one 5 minutes later was unmistakable, and changed "impossible" to "this is SOME storm!"

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Delay that one about 18 hours and it would be my choice.  We had about 15" in NNJ with thundersnow about 2 PM.  I'd gone out hunting for squirrels and grouse about 9 AM in light snow, and came to the 345kv lines an hour or so later.  The hiss as flakes died on the wires told me that they were "hot" in more ways than one.  Snow got heavy about 1PM and by 2 I was in  grown-up field near to the road I'd walk home on.  Only heard two booms, and since thunder during a snowstorm was "impossible" (in my mind), my first guess was sonic boom.  2nd one 5 minutes later was unmistakable, and changed "impossible" to "this is SOME storm!"

the first time I heard thunder during a snowstorm I was seven in March 1956...it was Friday the 16th...Lighting hit so close to my house it scared me because it was so loud...I remember playing in the snow the next day and on Sunday the 18th a bigger storm hit...

14 hours ago, uncle W said:

the first time I heard thunder during a snowstorm I was seven in March 1956...it was Friday the 16th...Lighting hit so close to my house it scared me because it was so loud...I remember playing in the snow the next day and on Sunday the 18th a bigger storm hit...

I can't recall anything about the 3/16 storm, though we must've gotten about 6" based on nearby data.  The "bigger storm" was the first truly big snow of my experience; I've called it a 24" event.  It was still accumulating at 8 AM on 3/19 when my dad measured 23.5" in our front yard.  (I was only 21 months old for the Dec. '47 dump.  My earliest wx memory is the 1950 Apps gale.)

Archived