Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dj3 said:

The nam jumps the low from Tennessee to South Carolina at one point lol. I guess it’s better than being west but doesn’t seem very plausible. Heavy sleet on this run but definitely colder than previous run. 

Agree but it is a step in the right direction. Any more west and we are doomed. Any move east is better.:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, dj3 said:

The nam jumps the low from Tennessee to South Carolina at one point lol. I guess it’s better than being west but doesn’t seem very plausible. Heavy sleet on this run but definitely colder than previous run. 

Yeah looks like convective feedback as it jumps the low over the convection firing in NC. Probably give it less credence than usual unless globals jump east again. 

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Reading a lot of posts mets actually think the transfer is a possibility and something the gefs has been hinting at. 

That would be a good trend. Lows don't typically like to run up the spine of the aps so given the choice they usually take one side or the other. Only thing that throws a wrench in is it jumps back to WV. 

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

That would be a good trend. Lows don't typically like to run up the spine of the aps so given the choice they usually take one side or the other. Only thing that throws a wrench in is it jumps back to WV. 

It's a weird run but good to see a stop of the super amped west runs. 

3 hours ago, SteelCity08 said:

Lol... We're lucky to have someone of your pedigree in our thread :wacko: The typing errors sure do seem to follow a pattern though I must say. Anyway, giving this storm until 0z tmrw before giving up hope. Sure looks like it has its eyes on Ohio and Michigan though. 

Laugh all you want. Were all hobbyists but whatever. Just saying you don't need a piece of paper from a college which i call scams. But i am saying i am looking forward too this storm. If we get blizzard i will be happy, but i am enjoying this nice few warm days after well being in Siberia for 2 weeks.   An asteroid screwed up the weather pattern its simple as that.  Climate Change is real, Global Warming is an scam 

16 minutes ago, Mailman said:

0z GFS looks better.

certainly better than the 18z. Looks to have pushed back to the area it was at the 12z run. 

So far so good tonight. I am happy with the trends. I am still holding out for the 11th. Thats when the models will get a good hold of what is going on with the trailing energy. 

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

The trend is good, but please, for the love of God. Don't do this to me. Soo close

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 11.29.02 PM.png

That would be like getting tackled on the 1 yard line. I'd rather it miss us hundreds of miles away than something gut wrenching like that. lol If the Euro pushes further east as well then maybe we have something. I still thing it's a long shot.

Pretty interesting take from the NWS Pittsburgh discussion this morning:

The ridging pattern breakdown gradually occurs late Friday, and
it accelerates into Friday night. A weak model consensus favors
a faster evolution of cold air into the CWA Friday night per the
00z GFS/GEM/ECMWF. However, slower evolutions still are featured
in many GEFS members, the NAM, and the 12z ECMWF. Thus,
confidence in the details of the forecast and timing of
precipitation changeovers isn`t high. However, confidence in a
sprawling winter storm riding up spine of the Appalachians is
growing rapidly.

The aforementioned weak and new consensus of the 00z
GFS/GEM/ECMWF would be somewhat of a worst case scenario for our
region. With an overlay of deep deformation riding up the
925-850 mb front, and warm advection over that level,
temperatures in excess of +5C are evident just above the
boundary layer, while cold advection is dragging boundary layer
temperatures below it as low as -5C. This dichotomy is drastic
even for icing scenarios, and while it represents a possibility,
the envelope in ensemble forecasts is wide enough that it
cannot be lingered on too much. Regardless, the eventual
ejection of the system from the southern Mississippi Valley
toward the lower Great Lakes or Ohio Valley will be key to how
the weather will evolve over our area Friday night. Should it
eject farther west and the pattern end up less progressive,
there is potential we may dry slot and cold air would arrive
with little fanfare. Should the pattern more more progressive,
the deformation precipitation would be suppressed farther south
and crush our area. There is also the entirety of the
possibilities in between that include potential for a
substantial icing event. For the moment, the forecast continues
to be built around a consensus with the heaviest snow
possibilities int he far western and northwestern CWA, and swath
of moderate icing potential across the heart of the CWA, and
little/no snow/ice potential toward the southeastern portion of
the CWA.

For the moment, the eventualities with the system Friday night
into Saturday will continue to be featured in the HWO, however
it is becoming increasingly evident that at least a portion of
our area will be in winter weather headlines for the period
before too much more time elapses. If you have travel plans
anywhere in the region during this interlude, please stay tuned
to future forecasts. Fries

5 minutes ago, cwc said:

Who is this fries guy?  Cause I love his writing style.

He's great at articulating the situation all year round but love reading the discussions in winter especially when a storm is approaching. He has the perfect balance between using the scientific \ meteorology explanation but not being to complex and it going over everyone's head. To bad we can't get him to post in here lol

I attended a SkyWarn training a couple years ago and at the end I was talking to the instructor and brought up how most of the time I just read the discussion's to get a forecast, but especially enjoy reading them when written by Fries. He nodded and said yeah, we hear that a lot, especially from weather folks in the local media.

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Pretty interesting take from the NWS Pittsburgh discussion this morning:

Yeah, very interesting. There is a part of me that wants to see an extreme setup, but a severe ice storm I'm not so sure about, I guess at least it will be on a Friday night so less impact than if it were a weekday.  Hopefully we can get a few more ticks east in the coming days and get the cold to speed up a bit and stay mainly sleet or snow. What's your take on it? Seems like the models tend to have a more amped up solution in the medium range, only back off that then correct back slightly in the last 48 hours.

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

He's great at articulating the situation all year round but love reading the discussions in winter especially when a storm is approaching. He has the perfect balance between using the scientific \ meteorology explanation but not being to complex and it going over everyone's head. To bad we can't get him to post in here lol

I attended a SkyWarn training a couple years ago and at the end I was talking to the instructor and brought up how most of the time I just read the discussion's to get a forecast, but especially enjoy reading them when written by Fries. He nodded and said yeah, we hear that a lot, especially from weather folks in the local media.

I remember a few years back when their discussions were brief and lacking even basic information.  I quit reading them and would always look at the surrounding ones.  Must have been a crew change.

12z NAM looked like about .5 of ice .2 of sleet and .1ish of snow, GFS was mainly an inch of 33-35 degree rain followed by .05 of snow. Euro, hard to tell, but it seems more agressive getting the cold in, most of us are at or below 32 at the surface by 9pm Friday, with about .8 of precip after that as near as I can tell. Looked like 2-4 of snow on the back end with the rest being zr and sleet. Don't trust any snow maps, no way they will get what is falling from the sky in this situation right in-between the all rain and all snow portion of the storm.

Just now, dj3 said:

So we can get an east shift on all models but the storm fizzles. I guess it’s better than all rain. 

I think it was that or a rain. We needed the trough to be less sharp and riding out west to flatten some, and get some kick for the NS vort, we are seeing all that, and getting colder and more frozen, but other edge of the sword is the storm isn't as strong. Question is do we get enough to see snow, or will it be a big ice storm, or a cold rain with flurries on the back end lol

Archived