• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

mackerel_sky

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

The beautiful purple carpet of weeds you have, is called henbit! It's a great addition to any winter lawn! :(

Nice!  I might start selling it.  I think I could harvest enough of it to start a small business...you know, something to see me through until clover season kicks off!

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Nice!  I might start selling it.  I think I could harvest enough of it to start a small business...you know, something to see me through until clover season kicks off!

I love clover season! It seems to mingle well with dandelion season, and ooooh , that crabgrass tho ! 

7 hours ago, D-Ray said:

early start to fishing season at the pay lakes this year....the carp are ripping already

Yeah! That's awesome! Going this Saturday night for a night tourney! Of course it'll be the coldest night in about 30 days! And saw somebody caught  40+ pound yellow carp at Pops lake last week!

17 minutes ago, D-Ray said:

you should come fish Laural & Hardy....it was 30 degrees there when we started fishing at at 9 this past Sunday morning.

Never fished there . See a lot of good fish being caught lately. I heard they don't like new fisherman coming and fishing !? But I know Greg lacroy

12 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

I think I have chickweed too.  And I have some of those things that have the little spikey balls on them. They're the worst.

When I was a kid living in Florida, California, and then Utah we called them stickers. Horrible things. I think they prefer more sandy soil. I have clay soil and I'm hoping to never see them take hold.

Just now, FallsLake said:

When I was a kid living in Florida, California, and then Utah we called them stickers. Horrible things. I think they prefer more sandy soil. I have clay soil and I'm hoping to never see them take hold.

I've got regular soil, I guess.  They've cropped up in my yard.  I also have those little lily pad looking things and also this other stuff that comes up in June that has little white dandelion things on the top, but they're not dandelions.  They have little white fuzzy things that blow off when you mow over them.  And then later in June, the plants turn almost black as they die.  They've spread around really well also.

50 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I've got regular soil, I guess.  They've cropped up in my yard.  I also have those little lily pad looking things and also this other stuff that comes up in June that has little white dandelion things on the top, but they're not dandelions.  They have little white fuzzy things that blow off when you mow over them.  And then later in June, the plants turn almost black as they die.  They've spread around really well also.

The little white " non dandelion dandelions, suck! They really mean you have bad , compacted soil! But since this seems to be what your after, job well done! :)

This could really hurt (from RAH):

Incoming cP surface high pressure behind the front on Fri will
result in a hard freeze Fri night-Sat morning, when
temperatures are expected to fall into the lower-middle 20s over
the Piedmont, to upper 20s to around 30 degrees over the
Sandhills, srn Coastal Plain, and urban areas
. Temperatures
will gradually moderate thereafter, as the surface ridge moves E
and modifies, with 50s on Sat replaced by 60s-70s by early next
week.

I suppose the upper 20s to around 30 for the eastern areas would not be as bad.

Cut the backyard Saturday PM.  The sod took quickly and it took off. Lush deep green.

So much for the mexican fan palms being able to hand cold wx. After our "snowstorm" back in Jan they are all brown and dead. My needle palm and Sabal palm are doing great though, go figure. I wish I had the receipt and bring them back to Lowes but its gone.

• 2 weeks later...