• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gino27
    Newest Member
    Gino27

The Lawn, Garden, Fishing, Things You Do In Warm Weather Thread!

18 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I WILL NOT CUT MY GRASS IN FEBRUARY.  EVER.  I don't care if I look out the window and can't see the road from the second floor.

IKR.....To be truthful, I was also blowing some leaves. It was bright green and a good 6 inches high though.

12 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

IKR.....To be truthful, I was also blowing some leaves. It was bright green and a good 6 inches high though.

I've got a bunch of those purple flower things growing up nicely now, as well as healthy crop of wild onions.

3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

The beautiful purple carpet of weeds you have, is called henbit! It's a great addition to any winter lawn! :(

Nice!  I might start selling it.  I think I could harvest enough of it to start a small business...you know, something to see me through until clover season kicks off!

53 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Nice!  I might start selling it.  I think I could harvest enough of it to start a small business...you know, something to see me through until clover season kicks off!

We are starting to treat it this week.  Chickweed and henbit dominate this time of year

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

I love clover season! It seems to mingle well with dandelion season, and ooooh , that crabgrass tho ! 

28 minutes ago, POWERSTROKE said:

We are starting to treat it this week.  Chickweed and henbit dominate this time of year

I think I have chickweed too.  And I have some of those things that have the little spikey balls on them. They're the worst.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I think I have chickweed too.  And I have some of those things that have the little spikey balls on them. They're the worst.

You need to call Florida Pest Control  ... LOL

7 hours ago, D-Ray said:

early start to fishing season at the pay lakes this year....the carp are ripping already

Yeah! That's awesome! Going this Saturday night for a night tourney! Of course it'll be the coldest night in about 30 days! And saw somebody caught  40+ pound yellow carp at Pops lake last week!

17 minutes ago, D-Ray said:

you should come fish Laural & Hardy....it was 30 degrees there when we started fishing at at 9 this past Sunday morning.

Never fished there . See a lot of good fish being caught lately. I heard they don't like new fisherman coming and fishing !? But I know Greg lacroy

10 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

You may just need a controlled burn, and start over! :)

No way...it's developing exactly as I planned it!  Good luck in your Goldfish tourney.  I hope you eat the most!  The parmesan cheese flavored ones are the best!

27 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

No way...it's developing exactly as I planned it!  Good luck in your Goldfish tourney.  I hope you eat the most!  The parmesan cheese flavored ones are the best!

I have a 6 foot tiller, a John Deere and some nasty weed killer that will make that all dirt for you.

12 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

When I was a kid living in Florida, California, and then Utah we called them stickers. Horrible things. I think they prefer more sandy soil. I have clay soil and I'm hoping to never see them take hold.

8 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

I have a 6 foot tiller, a John Deere and some nasty weed killer that will make that all dirt for you.

As long as it's eventually green and I can mow it, I'm happy...except for those spike ball things.

Just now, FallsLake said:

When I was a kid living in Florida, California, and then Utah we called them stickers. Horrible things. I think they prefer more sandy soil. I have clay soil and I'm hoping to never see them take hold.

I've got regular soil, I guess.  They've cropped up in my yard.  I also have those little lily pad looking things and also this other stuff that comes up in June that has little white dandelion things on the top, but they're not dandelions.  They have little white fuzzy things that blow off when you mow over them.  And then later in June, the plants turn almost black as they die.  They've spread around really well also.

50 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I've got regular soil, I guess.  They've cropped up in my yard.  I also have those little lily pad looking things and also this other stuff that comes up in June that has little white dandelion things on the top, but they're not dandelions.  They have little white fuzzy things that blow off when you mow over them.  And then later in June, the plants turn almost black as they die.  They've spread around really well also.

The little white " non dandelion dandelions, suck! They really mean you have bad , compacted soil! But since this seems to be what your after, job well done! :)

28 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

The little white " non dandelion dandelions, suck! They really mean you have bad , compacted soil! But since this seems to be what your after, job well done! :)

Thanks man. :D

This could really hurt (from RAH):

Incoming cP surface high pressure behind the front on Fri will
result in a hard freeze Fri night-Sat morning, when
temperatures are expected to fall into the lower-middle 20s over
the Piedmont, to upper 20s to around 30 degrees over the
Sandhills, srn Coastal Plain, and urban areas
. Temperatures
will gradually moderate thereafter, as the surface ridge moves E
and modifies, with 50s on Sat replaced by 60s-70s by early next
week.

I suppose the upper 20s to around 30 for the eastern areas would not be as bad.

Cut the backyard Saturday PM.  The sod took quickly and it took off. Lush deep green.

So much for the mexican fan palms being able to hand cold wx. After our "snowstorm" back in Jan they are all brown and dead. My needle palm and Sabal palm are doing great though, go figure. I wish I had the receipt and bring them back to Lowes but its gone.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 PM, Cold Rain said:

I WILL NOT CUT MY GRASS IN FEBRUARY.  EVER.  I don't care if I look out the window and can't see the road from the second floor.

You'll be fine if you obey the 1/3 cut rule 

4 hours ago, No snow for you said:

Hey Mack if the flowers are still in their buds will they still get nuked this week? Also putting sheets on hydrangeas help at all or is this hard freeze going to kill the buds this year?

should be fine if still in bud and not opened up