• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxUSAF

Decent supercell composite maps on the 12z NAM run. Looks like best values lie just to our north. Also winds look to be more southwesterly this time vs Saturday's event. Would like to see more S or SE perhaps for a tornado threat. As per usual we'll probably get our biggest threat from straight line wind damage. 

And it helps when you ARE the IT department ;)

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, yoda said:

I know its the 4km NAM at end of its range, but you don't usually see PDS TOR at all around here in model soundings

Indeed.  We still have a few things that need to fall into place (timing, strength of and low level wedge of cold air and amount of sunshine) but it's going to be a good couple of days for tracking.

Good write-up from Sterling:

Significant weather day possible Wednesday. Deepening low
pressure center will be passing through the eastern Great Lakes
Tuesday night and into Wednesday with a trailing cold front
moving towards and through the Mid-Atlantic states later
Wednesday and into Wednesday night. Some morning
showers/thunderstorms may be ongoing across the area, mainly
north, but most of the activity will likely be associated with a
cold frontal passage later Wednesday afternoon and evening.
Temperatures will soar in the warm sector out ahead of the front
well into the 70s to around 80F with dew points in the 50s to
near 60F. This should help generate MLCAPE values into the
500-1000 J/KG range. At the same time, very strong southwest
flow will move overhead, with 0-6KM shear increasing to 60-70
knots. Equally impressive is the 850mb flow maxing out at about
50-60 knots. These factors will help set the stage for potential
severe weather late Wednesday and Wednesday evening ahead of the
cold front. The Storm Prediction Center has already placed our
region in a Slight Risk for severe thunderstorms.

After cold front passes, will see gusty northwest winds take
over later Wednesday night with falling temperatures. Some
upslope snow showers also possible late near the Allegheny
Front. Lows Wednesday night from the upper 30s to mid 40s.

If we see temperatures get in to the 75-80° range, game on! GFS insists there will be a saturated layer from ~550 mb on up to 200mb, which wouldn't give us a lot of sunshine. Will be interesting to see just how fast we're able to clear out after Tuesday evening's rain. That said, it's starting to get the juices flowing again. 

28 minutes ago, WxReese said:

If we see temperatures get in to the 75-80° range, game on! GFS insists there will be a saturated layer from ~550 mb on up to 200mb, which wouldn't give us a lot of sunshine. Will be interesting to see just how fast we're able to clear out after Tuesday evening's rain. That said, it's starting to get the juices flowing again. 

Yea that's the key.  If we get stuck in the clouds this time of year, then we are toast.  Well know by 10-11am Wed if this thing has legs.

Can't imagine having two good t'storm days that close together so my guy says failure. But the parameters do look good at this range...but how many times have we seen things go poof as we get closer?

Some very juicy soundings on the 18z NAM and 4km NAM though. I do wish the winds had just a little bit more southerly component for those rooting for an increase in the spinny threat. Most modeling still has southwesterly though it does look like the 18z NAM did come towards S just a hair more. 

Pretty interesting scenario on the 3km NAM parallel nest (on which I'm going to focus since it's going to be the ops in a few weeks).     A line forms over WV by noon Wednesday, but the northern part of the line accelerates and becomes E-W oriented just north of the DC Beltway before washing out.   Then the southern part of the line with seemingly emdedded supercells comes through all points south of where the northern line washes out.      My description isn't very good, so check out the simulated reflectivity on TT.

13 minutes ago, high risk said:

Pretty interesting scenario on the 3km NAM parallel nest (on which I'm going to focus since it's going to be the ops in a few weeks).     A line forms over WV by noon Wednesday, but the northern part of the line accelerates and becomes E-W oriented just north of the DC Beltway before washing out.   Then the southern part of the line with seemingly emdedded supercells comes through all points south of where the northern line washes out.      My description isn't very good, so check out the simulated reflectivity on TT.

I see what you mean... hrs 46-48 absolutely pwn DC south with sups

46 -- we're all like dang it, missed the storms DC south

47 -- then we're all like holy sh*t

48 -- we get rocked

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived