joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Not sure what they are looking at this setup look impressive. 

The city of Rochester hasn't gotten much at all from the last few "impressive" setups. You however are in a much better location being on the east side of Rochester. I've been checking the cams and most times I check during the higher rates I still see grass and pavement.

Alot of those cams are not current. Lol trust me. And roc is actually a bit higher than normal snow this year. Been almost all lake. Roc has gotten a 15 inch lake storm and a foot lake storm and some 3 to 6 inch ones. Sitting at over 70 inches. It's just the nws doest advertise it like when buffalo gets hit. Roc averages more snow than buffalo but the way they forecast you wouldn't think so

26 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Even though p&c shows 7" for Syracuse..

Likely a technical glitch or website update issue...if that was really BGM thinking they'd haul down watches and adjust the PnC.  I just hope we keep racking up the snow in the expected continuation of milder than normal! ;)

9 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Alot of those cams are not current. Lol trust me. And roc is actually a bit higher than normal snow this year. Been almost all lake. Roc has gotten a 15 inch lake storm and a foot lake storm and some 3 to 6 inch ones. Sitting at over 70 inches. It's just the nws doest advertise it like when buffalo gets hit. Roc averages more snow than buffalo but the way they forecast you wouldn't think so

Yeah mainly because it's nickel and dime variety compared to big events. Anyone around this area doesn't need a warning for common 3-6" snowfalls

ROC is at 68.2" , 2" above normal. I'm actually surprised ROC and Syracuse aren't having record years. Every LES event has been NW flow, they should be well over 100" by now if the flow aligned correctly. Redfield is on pace to actually beat its highest snowfall total year ever which is insane in an otherwise much warmer than average winter.

3 minutes ago, tim123 said:

70.2 inches and 75 percent of this is lake. Probably have got 15 inches from synoptic. If the storm track was not so crappy we would be over a hundred already 

As you already stated, it's quite a bit harder to forecast LES for Rochester in comparison to Buffalo. South shore events are just so much harder to pinpoint. They usually end up nowcasting LES events for KROC once they see the band setup to not get location wrong.

52 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Likely a technical glitch or website update issue...if that was really BGM thinking they'd haul down watches and adjust the PnC.  I just hope we keep racking up the snow in the expected continuation of milder than normal! ;)

On further review...perhaps not a "glitch"...PnC revised downward also. So I'm guessing they drop the Watch tomorrow morning or later tonight and maybe go with Advisory or nothing...the evening AFD still seems supportive of some sort of event.  290-300 flow usually would support higher amts in northern half of Onondaga cty vice southern half but who knows...

1 hour ago, tim123 said:

They do that most of time. 

Tim, I gotta agree with you. If les doesn't involve Buf or it's south towns, NWS Buf kinda goes to sleep. I mean if it's a Buf event they're busy naming towns and timelines in the disco. If it's a Lake Ontario south shore event they hoist and move on. I can't remember them talking in depth about specific timelines and particular suburbs (Webster, Irondequoit, Ontario- do they know about Ontario or Gananda? Lol). 

But like someone said, we shouldn't need our hand held. We can look at the maps and models and parameters ourselves. 

7 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Tim, I gotta agree with you. If les doesn't involve Buf or it's south towns, NWS Buf kinda goes to sleep. I mean if it's a Buf event they're busy naming towns and timelines in the disco. If it's a Lake Ontario south shore event they hoist and move on. I can't remember them talking in depth about specific timelines and particular suburbs (Webster, Irondequoit, Ontario- do they know about Ontario or Gananda? Lol). 

But like someone said, we shouldn't need our hand held. We can look at the maps and models and parameters ourselves. 

Impossible to differentiate townships in nw flow events off Ontario. The bands could setup anywhere from Niagara county to the tug on nw flow events. With a w/sw flow it's obvious who gets hit. There is no guess work. 

Archived