Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
12-29 Storm Threat and Obs

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a quick hitter as the developing low center swings around the parent low.  I suppose the evolution could change if the secondary mid-level center developed much sooner, but a drastic change is probably unlikely.  But it is starting to look like there could be a short period of moderate or heavy precipitation.  I'll be down in southern Dutchess for this one.  I think surface temperatures in the lower elevations could limit snow.  It's exciting to at least have something to track.

Further northeast and elevated is probably best this time around.

The JMA is impressive.  It develops the mid levels really early and the surface low starts deepening rapidly in the mid-atlantic.  It looks like it would bring significant precip to the whole area (snow in the NW burbs) with comparatively mature wraparound circulation axis right through the lower and mid-HV.

The JMA is the only model that gets the mid-levels going fast enough to impact the area with wraparound precip.  The Euro is close but mostly just a little late.  The JMA has a mature 700mb circulation as the bombing low passes NYC's latitude.  The JMA is probably too optimistic with respect to the mid-levels, but it's exactly what we'd want to see (save for some boundary layer problems early on).  And most guidance seems to be trending in this direction.

Archived