• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

Nope, not backing down. There is not much in our favor to start with and I don't see how in the world the whole pattern can flip right now. the only way that we will see major cold in the winter is with a really weak PV. besides lobes of cold air possibly coming from it, I just don't see enough in the modeling now, in the near future or far future to say a pattern flip is coming. maybe for a couple of days but nothing sustained. the good part is where we live we will still see snow obviously, but I do not like the look at all. in other news, heading to the rock for the game today and that frost was sure nice to see. 31.3 degrees at my house this morning

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Already down to 39 degrees surprisingly.  Iv been ready across the board and I just don't get a good feeling about a pattern change in our favor. We will see what happens . 

You know what Met, I just go with whatever happens. It isnt like we have any control so whatever it is like outside, take it and run lol. I mean we have no choice

11 minutes ago, Avdave said:

You know what Met, I just go with whatever happens. It isnt like we have any control so whatever it is like outside, take it and run lol. I mean we have no choice

Oh yeah I know man but dang has it been a long freaking summer! lol its like it just never ends. I have nightmares of  the 2011/2012 winter season lol.

Seems like the lower overnight temps have settled into the valleys. It was 33º in Linville this morning around 7:45a as I left the Tartan restaurant according to my car thermometer.  It was 46º at the entrance to Grandfather Mountain and noticeably warmer just five minutes later.  I then headed south on the BRP towards Linville Falls and bottomed out at 32º where the BRP meets Hwy 183.  There was a heavy frost in this aera.  I headed back over to my house south of Jonas Ridge on the escarpment, elevation 3600' where it was 45º. I know car thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, but I'm certain there was at least a 10º difference from high to low as I got out at each of these locations and walked around.

4 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I'm still in the low 40's. I was beginning to think I might have a problem with my temp sensor but Beech, Suger, Wolf Laurel, Powder Horn, Snake, etc. are all in the low 40's this morning as well. 

Wow yeah that is odd especially multiple mornings in a row. There has to be some mixing down with some subtle breeze going on in the higher elevations other than 3500 feet. Pretty weird.

18 minutes ago, alhooks13 said:

Seems like the lower overnight temps have settled into the valleys. It was 33º in Linville this morning around 7:45a as I left the Tartan restaurant according to my car thermometer.  It was 46º at the entrance to Grandfather Mountain and noticeably warmer just five minutes later.  I then headed south on the BRP towards Linville Falls and bottomed out at 32º where the BRP meets Hwy 183.  There was a heavy frost in this aera.  I headed back over to my house south of Jonas Ridge on the escarpment, elevation 3600' where it was 45º. I know car thermometers are notoriously inaccurate, but I'm certain there was at least a 10º difference from high to low as I got out at each of these locations and walked around.

I'm right around 3500 feet but in Haywood county . We have been having some cold mornings lately this weekend . Thanks for sharing . Very interesting and cool.

It looks like over the next five days we swing up then down a day then up then down for the weekend . Not much rain in sight sadly . We need the rain badly .  it looks like we cool down Wednesday then warm up then probably cool down the coldest we have seen it this weekend probably only to warm up again . We are going to be in an up and down pattern for a bit I believe until one or the other wins out.

Yeah I saw where Germany is getting some snow. I believe it maybe awhile for us. the indices are up and down and with the Pacific a train wreck the NAO and AO are not going to matter. We do cool down to right at or below normal this week and into this weekend . But this weekends cold shot looks pathetic to what was advertised.

More temperature inversions in the High Country this morning.  It was 32º in Linville when I left the restaurant and headed up to Grandfather entrance on US221.  It was 44º at the entrance, which is 2 miles from Linville and 600-800' higher in elevation.  I then headed north along the BRP. At the Linn Cove Viaduct, maybe 4-5 miles from the Grandfather entrance and similar elevation, but sits on the escarpment proper and below the Blue Ridge Crest, it was 55º. I then drove to Price Lake, which is on the other side of the crest, i.e. not on the escarpment, where it was 46º.

2 hours ago, alhooks13 said:

More temperature inversions in the High Country this morning.  It was 32º in Linville when I left the restaurant and headed up to Grandfather entrance on US221.  It was 44º at the entrance, which is 2 miles from Linville and 600-800' higher in elevation.  I then headed north along the BRP. At the Linn Cove Viaduct, maybe 4-5 miles from the Grandfather entrance and similar elevation, but sits on the escarpment proper and below the Blue Ridge Crest, it was 55º. I then drove to Price Lake, which is on the other side of the crest, i.e. not on the escarpment, where it was 46º.

Very cool. We had a low of 30 degrees with frost again .  I talked to a friend of mine 10 miles away above 4000 feet that had a low of only the mid 40s. I think he said like 43 degrees. This has been a crazy few mornings with inversions . 

Archived