Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

What is happening in Gatlinburg right now is heartbreaking. Multiple structures/hotels on fire. Pray for rain and safety. Entire city closed. 

No kidding! Absolutely awful. Gatlinburg has mandatory evacuations and Pigeon Forge has a large part that is being evacuated.

I have a place at Westgate there, not sure exactly what all is involved but the fire sounds fairly widespread, radar out of Knoxville shows decent returns in the area, at the least conditions seem more favorable for the fire slowing and being easier to control....

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=MRX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

9 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Schools have been closed there for Tuesday. Videos show a volcano like way of life...falling ash...orange to gray sky...not your typical fire in the woods. Crazy stuff there.

yeah, pretty soon they'll be hunting mammoths to tribal drums again....

9 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

nothing on CNN about this, haven't checked Fox or others yet. Nope, not a peep on Fox.

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Lets hope this is a exaggeration or BS twitter post.......

https://twitter.com/Everything_TN/status/803503580028293120

yeah, at least no loss of life reported so far. But that sounds crazy. I've heard from numerous sources a lot of Gatlinburg is just destroyed. Hard to get a read what's for real right now.

1 minute ago, whamby said:

yeah, at least no loss of life reported so far. But that sounds crazy. I've heard from numerous sources a lot of Gatlinburg is just destroyed. Hard to get a read what's for real right now.

um going to be tens of thousands of animals dead they just left them during the evac at Ripley's Believe-It-or-Not Aquarium

13 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

um going to be tens of thousands of animals dead they just left them during the evac at Ripley's Believe-It-or-Not Aquarium

The life support systems can operate up to 24 hrs automatically so hopefully the loss will be minimal, this is assuming the place doesn't burn down......

So as most know EURO is my fav model, so checking out its latest 2mAG temps/MSL and it is supportive of winter weather as it picks up on the wedge areas better. 

Best chance of mix before rain

Pisgah National Forest

Newland

Sugar Mountain

Banner Elk

Boone

Todd

Jefferson

Sparta

1" snow shown for 

Roanoke

Blacksburg

2"+ snow

North-West Virginia areas

1 hour ago, NWNC2015 said:

Ice has been added to the forecast in several locations across western NC (weather.com). Starting to see people talk about it on FB. I've been talking about it in the main thread but may bring it over here since this really only for the northern mountains and northern foothills.

Weather.com?! lol!

Archived