Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Wow what a pointless argument snowless. GFS has a NWFS look for Saturday morning.. Might be the first snowflakes of the season for the high country this year. Still a ways out but hopefully this solution continues to show and Joe and Met see some flurries!

Lol I was wondering when you would chime in. It's good banter.

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

Its not that out of the ordinary for the Allegheny Mts to get some snow this time of the year. It has happened before and will happen again in WV and Western md

Yeah you are right. Also the favored peaks in WNC get snow in October.  Last year was the first year we did not get snow in October in quite awhile. 

13 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah you are right. Also the favored peaks in WNC get snow in October.  Last year was the first year we did not get snow in October in quite awhile. 

Hey Met, For sure. Some of those 5-6K+ peaks def can get some snow in WNC. Even 4k+.   Lets hope for a good snowy season out there so it can help the water table rise.

27 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Hey Met, For sure. Some of those 5-6K+ peaks def can get some snow in WNC. Even 4k+.   Lets hope for a good snowy season out there so it can help the water table rise.

Oh yeah. Two years ago we had 8 inches Halloween weekend. Then 4 years ago we had 6 inches but higher peaks had a foot before Halloween.  Yes we need rain and snow to help the water table.

3 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Oh yeah. Two years ago we had 8 inches Halloween weekend. Then 4 years ago we had 6 inches but higher peaks had a foot before Halloween.  Yes we need rain and snow to help the water table.

Yep I remember that two years ago. I was up in Boston and it was rain and snow mix there and when I got to my old town I lived in it was all snow :)  I think I still have pics here from the snow on I 40 in the mtns from TN to NC and the traffic was crazy

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

18z gfs hanging with the high elevation snow showers early saturday morning with just a raw day Friday and Saturday.  Some may not get out of the 40s saturday.

Quite possible as some guidance has Raleigh barely getting to 60 on Saturday, upper 50's quite possible for as high in the peidmont

21 hours ago, jshetley said:

GSP is still saying snow is possible above 5000 FT Friday night, with no accumulation expected. Much better chance of some rain in the mountains than in lower elevations. The GFS still shows less than .50 of rain through day 12 though, even up in the mountains.

What areas would you recommend to go up to try to see some flakes this weekend?

4 hours ago, NC_WX10 said:

If in the Boone/Wilkes/Surry area I would try Beech Mountain or at least that's where I might be going. Peak color, cold, wind, it will be a beauty watching Fall end with the leaves coming down with wind snow. If you are looking for a dusting of snow or more I would try West Virginia. 

4 hours ago, NC_WX10 said:

Probably from Northern Jackson County on up along the TN/NC boarder. Max patch, Fines Creek area, and probably soco mountain and cataloochee ski area in Haywood county. Wolf laurel in Madison county. Also Roan Mountain for sure. That place gets hammered during the winter. Of course with this up into Boone , Ski Beach, and up into West Virginia.  You will probably see snow maybe as low as 3000 to 3500 feet.

5 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Ray is always last to bite for the high country, sort of like Brad Panovich, finally saying snow flurries this weekend. It will quickly go to past peak this weekend in the mountains.

Yeah this weekend will be peak. After the rain and I'd say very windy conditions blow through and a freeze or frost things will be killed, or ripped off the branches the leaves and colors will be gone.

15 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Heading to Boone for homecoming Saturday. Looking forward to a cold and windy day! Was around Linville Caverns and the falls today with a group of second graders from my school. Leaves and looming awesome right now!! Just warm today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah its been beautiful put. Like you said a bit warm. That's coming to a screeching halt tomorrow. 

Forecast Tonight in Avery County above 5000'

Periods of rain and snow showers this evening transitioning to snow showers overnight...windy. Low 28F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precip 60%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

...THE FORECAST FOR BEECH MOUNTAIN NC AT 5506 FT...

.TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SHOWERS LIKELY. IN THE CLOUDS AT TIMES
DURING THE MORNING. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO
25 MPH...INCREASING TO 25 TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO
46 MPH. 
.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN BECOMING PARTLY
CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN OR SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 30 MPH...DECREASING TO AROUND 25 MPH AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH. 
.SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS
25 TO 30 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 41 MPH. 

Archived