Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Good news about CWG weather station

WEATHER53

Downtown on a building 

lets see what it shows versus DCA

will it experience 3 degree temp spikes over and over within an hour?

Will it have an inability to radiate at night?

will it report 30% less snowfall during an area wide heavy snowfall at 23 degrees?

how will it compare to surrounding stations?

• 2 weeks later...

Jason did discuss that the rooftop Location would be something of a detriment but there was no other place to site it for their purposes 

people don't live on rooftops much so if the "best" that DCA can do is mirror  a rooftop location on a large building downtown then that is another part of the problem

Somewhat off topic, but see if anyone here can guess when the following statement was made, and about what city:

It is a circumstance not perhaps generally known, that the temperature of the air in the metropolis is raised by the artificial sources of heat existing in it not fewer than two degrees on the annual mean above that of its immediate vicinity. 

4 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Agree, sounds 'old Englishly' to me. I'd guess London too. As you, no clue who said it.

Very good, guys.  I'm not sure of the exact person who said it, but the quote appears at page 86 of the February 1, 1824 edition of The New Monthly Magazine and Literary Journal, published in London.  The quote goes on to say that "Mr. Howard has fully established this fact."  That refers to Luke Howard, the "father of meteorology" -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Howard.  So, he recognized the urban heat island 192 years ago.    

Archived