Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say 2015 was really close to devastation in some coastal towns. Pretty sure Marshfield coast had 10s of millions in damage costs, and this is years after '78,'91'92,'13 etc where homes are built higher and walls secured.

yea they got smoked, moon goons are the worst. Or all of the above. The combo of wind,waves,blizzard conditions,moon tides is what makes the New England coast one of the most intense visceral winter experiences in the world.

I need to experience a Cape blizzard no doubt....the perfect placement of a storm off the Cape with the wind and snow seems so epic.....

That said....here in West Hartford both 2005 and 2015 blew chunks.....what a waste.....

I like Feb 2006 and Feb 2013 and the whole month of Jan 2011 here in Central CT....word those fukin yrs.....ridiculous....

I need to experience a Cape blizzard no doubt....the perfect placement of a storm off the Cape with the wind and snow seems so epic.....

That said....here in West Hartford both 2005 and 2015 blew chunks.....what a waste.....

I like Feb 2006 and Feb 2013 and the whole month of Jan 2011 here in Central CT....word those fukin yrs.....ridiculous....

same for me although I am a little jelly over the 30 inch plus amounts just south of us in ct for feb 13 but youre so right that it has been ten years of this generally speaking....i liked jan 2011 a lot myself and as far as I am concerned it blew away last February for fun and impact

To me Feb 8-9, 2013 had more intense winds than 2015. I lost power, which is unusual for my local. The damage to FR to NB to S. Shore and Cape was bad. The tree damage was pretty prolific imho. Damage to coastal areas was made worse later by the "firehouse".

Yeah I have never seen anything like that regarding the tree damage. A lot of it were white pines that snapped or uprooted. But literally entire swaths of areas were blown down. The landscape around my parents is totally different now. They lost a lot of the white pines that were visible from their yard.

I will say 2015 was really close to devastation in some coastal towns. Pretty sure Marshfield coast had 10s of millions in damage costs, and this is years after '78,'91'92,'13 etc where homes are built higher and walls secured.

2013 IMO was a little worse around these parts in terms of the coastal flooding and winds.  2015 was pretty wild as well though!

I think we all get a monster blizzard this winter that will eclipse the Blizzard of 2005, Blizzard of 2015 and Blizzard of 2013.  In terms of winds, pressure and snowfall totals.  However it will be more displaced to the west in terms of heaviest snow bands, not on the coast, more in line with the 2013 Blizzard.  Harwich, MA only got 17" from the Blizzard of 2013.

Ok of all of the winter storms the worst tree damage and winds was the December 9th 2005 snowstorm, where a microburst brought unconfirmed reports of 120mph gusts to Orleans, and Brewster. However snowfall on Cape Cod that winter was below normal.

Well that's on a whole another level. What an account I have for that storm. We went from rain to actual hail and then whiteout within minutes. The weird thing about that storm is that the winds were erratic. We were mixing down winds aloft. Winds at lower levels were NW but more northerly aloft. I've never seen winds shift around so much in gusts like that storm. I didn't have the winds cape cod had, but they gusted over 50-60.

For members who aren't too familiar with either event:

Accumulations and wind observation for 2015: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/displayEvent.php?event=Jan_26-27_2015&element=gust

Accumulation and wind observations 2005: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/pns/01232005.txt

Including Massachusetts for 2005: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/climate/snowrpts/snowstormJan2224-2005

In the Pawtucket/Attleboro area, 2005 was far more severe. Constant whiteout conditions with snowfall rates in excess of four inches per hour. Nothing else compares to 2005 (wasn't around for 2013, though!). Another storm in 2005 (Dec 9th) had more intense conditions, but it only lasted for an hour or two.

USCAPEWATHERAF... Since I still can't download images, check out this website. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! 

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access

Archived