joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/27-9/29/15 Big Surf /High Astronomical Tides/Showers

bluewave

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when I was about to pull the plug things are getting a bit more interesting. 

The 12z GFS is weaker with the high which allows the system to gain quite a bit more latitude before slipping East.

In terms of sensible weather, verbatim a nasty, showery, cloudy, windy day. 

CMC is also coming in wetter for Sunday and not just drizzle/light rain...my parched lawn is saying please verify! 

This stinks. A lot. Has rained literally once in the last 30 days and the one day I need it to not rain this coastal tries its best to verify. Hoping that high trends stronger.

The trend is your friend fits well. And I'm not talking about the latest suite comming in wetter. I'm talking about the overall tendency for things to end up dryer here this season. I think its a windy cloudy day with big surf!!

While I could be wrong, I still think the kind of solution shown on the GGEM is sort of an outlier given the current pattern. I don't see the ridge breaking down sufficiently to allow for such a wet solution for the New York City metro area. I suspect the precipitation will more likely be largely suppressed to the south and any amounts up here will be relatively modest.

Euro?

end of the Nam shows a northern solution, but the rain are up into western PA and NY with our area staying most dry through the period-some showery stuff here and there

The Euro was very dry again. The Canadian appears to be a wet outlier. It still looks like any rain will largely be limited. Whether one will be able to view the lunar eclipse is another question.

Classic long range NAM being too far West. 

12z NAM still showing this solution-precip has a hard time coming in against that big high.  It slips off the coast Sunday, but the question is whether there will be any precip left by then. the run does show some rains by 2pm Sunday and further east... Looks cloudy and showery for Sunday night-bad news for eclipse viewers

there's no way we'd have precip hitting the ground with these dry layers

You're assuming that the GFS with a close but no cigar approach is correct and I can understand the support given that it essentially splits the difference between the monsoon shown on the GGEM and the total dryness on the Euro.

I guess we will see soon which way the GFS is going to trend. 

Even if the rain is not reaching the ground there should be plenty of clouds around that will inhibit viewing the eclipse. Perhaps a road trip to New England is in order.

gfs_ir_eus_13.png

the high is stronger on this run and there's a bigger press of dry air

But the surface high is over the VA capes on Sunday night rather than 200 miles offshore. Light rain up to NYC by 21z Sunday and up into the LHV by 00z. 

Good luck with your eclipse, GFS indicates > 95% total cloud cover almost up to Albany by 21z.

Archived