• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th of July weekend : fireworks, grills, beaches, and bbq's for all, or stuck indoors at the movies or the mall.?

CT Valley Snowman

Independence Day weekend, everything we love about summer and freedom. Beaches, grills, fireworks, family and fun. Will we be basking in the sun? Indications are a trough in the means may try to hang tough, which could make us vulnerable to unsettled weather or it could just be pleasantly mild and comfortable COC type weather. Time will tell.

I will be going up to the Lakes Region of Maine. it looks like it could be a bit of an active pattern with fronts and T'storms passing through the region, particularly late Friday into early Saturday.

Looks like a pattern of frequent thunderstorms with dews up then down like every other day once we get into later next week into the holiday weekend. probably some good severe chances up there

Not liking the troughiness since the beginning of June. Beginning to seem like a rerun of 2000, 2004, 2008 or 1969.

1969 had some of the best severe wx I've seen in the NYC metro area. But there was plenty of decent heat. Somehow I don't recall 2004 or 2008 as particularly cool. 2000 was definitely chilly.

1969 had some of the best severe wx I've seen in the NYC metro area. But there was plenty of decent heat. Somehow I don't recall 2004 or 2008 as particularly cool. 2000 was definitely chilly.

As for troughiness, remember that we're actually running above average so far. 2008 started out with big heat in early June, at exactly the same time as 1984.. The rest of the summer was more thundery than cool, but not much heat either. 2004 had only 2 touches of 90 the whole summer. 

1969 is a bit more complicated. I have looked at the day-to-day.  May was summery, with lots of 80's, and at the end, 97 on May 29, 92 the next day and either 89 or 90 the day after. I actually remember than heat wave well. The end of June had a quick shot of heat, peaking at 96 on June 29. That was tied on June 29, 1991, the day of my beach wedding reception.  I remember that day in 1969 as well; my first day at sleepaway camp, and I got hit in the eye with a tennis ball. I was taken to Portland to have the eye patched. It was sultry and hot. A glance at the weather records and "timesmachine.times.com" coverage showed that July 16-19 had a four-day heat wave, followed by two weeks of overcast, cool weather with lots of rain, and some severe wx.  August was actually warmer than July on average, had plenty of thunderstorms, and ended with a hot Labor Day weekend. 

Overall though the summer was not a great one.  At least from what I remember and what the records show.

Archived