• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

Great shot eyewall, look forward to seeing some more.

Clouded out here, and what I saw was nothing compared to the upper midwest and NNE, but I couldn't be happier even if I were Jim Cantore in the thundersnow.

Full-halo CME this afternoon from the same active region, so maybe we can thread the needle on Wednesday night before the endless cloudiness commences.

Local area fogged in just in time for things to go to town. That was agonizing to watch knowing how good the display was.

I literally could see the glow driving in my car as I passed breaks in the trees on the way to the GYX area. Arrived only to find stratus and fog streaming in off the water.

Eyewall, it blows my mind how much higher in the sky yours were. I mean, I know you're father north, but wow... the big dipper is completely engulfed. It was just fringed for me.

I was blown away that they were directly overhead if not a little behind in some cases. They were not far off from reaching Alaska caliber at the peak. The only issue was the clouds.

How do these things always manage to hit in the late morning/early afternoon? It's even more uncanny than the weekend snowstorm rule. Ah well, doesn't look that great anyway.

ace-mag-swepam-6-hour_zpsxzskwyi6.gif

Damn it! That is way too early.

LOL well of course we hit a Kp of 6 this morning briefly and it is now a 5. Oh well. With that said there is some hope as an M7.9 flare erupted and likely produced a CME. We will have to wait and see if it is full halo and Earth bound.

A full halo CME was first seen by LASCO C2 at 08:36 UT. This event isassociated with the M7.9 flare peaking at 08:16 UT, from NOAA AR 2371. TheCME has an Earth directed component and is travelling at 1600 km/s. It isexpected to arrive to the Earth on June 26 around 16:00 UT and cause up tosevere geomagnetic storms.

(source)

The WSA-Enlil ensemble model (I think that's what this is) looks decent, though given our track record with progged direct hits, I never put too much faith in glancing blows.

NElBJVR.jpg

Albany has granted me a "partly cloudy" on Friday night, so maybe there's a chance.

LOL well of course we hit a Kp of 6 this morning briefly and it is now a 5. Oh well. With that said there is some hope as an M7.9 flare erupted and likely produced a CME. We will have to wait and see if it is full halo and Earth bound.

can you recommend any good spots in VT to see the Aurora? I actually saw them either the end of 96 or the beginning of 97 when i was at Lyndon State College...but I was also drunk...oops...freshman year of college, what can ya do?

anyway, I'm in MA so it would be a bit of a drive, but i'd be willing to put in the effort for the chance to see them again...I'd probably pick up a friend and then I could head north on 91...but I just don't know where would be a good open and elevated spot low on light pollution

can you recommend any good spots in VT to see the Aurora? I actually saw them either the end of 96 or the beginning of 97 when i was at Lyndon State College...but I was also drunk...oops...freshman year of college, what can ya do?

anyway, I'm in MA so it would be a bit of a drive, but i'd be willing to put in the effort for the chance to see them again...I'd probably pick up a friend and then I could head north on 91...but I just don't know where would be a good open and elevated spot low on light pollution

Basically anywhere there is a clear view north. A mountaintop would be ideal but if not somewhere with a lot of open fields. For me that is up in the Swanton area outside of St. Albans. Obviously you can get darker skies in the NE Kingdom. I wonder if the south end of Lake Willoughby would be good out there. I should note as a rare occurrence the other night the aurora was nearly directly overhead at times and quite bright at times, but certainly away from city lights is almost always necessary. Friday night looks mostly clear up here so keep your fingers crossed!

Don't know if it's possible at night to drive up Okemos mountain rd, but that could be real nice.