Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Severe storms 2015 general chatter

Ian

Corn fuel  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will DCA report its first spring thunder?

2. 2. How many days with severe weather watches in the subforum in 2015?

Bulk shear is marginal and the main forcing seems like it will come late. Those analogs must be weighted by something/s hefty. Doesn't seem sfc winds will be too exciting tor wise either. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bulk shear is marginal and the main forcing seems like it will come late. Those analogs must be weighted by something/s hefty. Doesn't seem sfc winds will be too exciting tor wise either. 

One of the results of 04/17/2011 looks like that had a bunch of TOR reports. 

Also 06/02/2012 lol

Those look like the hefty ones in the analogs. Lots of pretty lame results in there too...

One of the results of 04/17/2011 looks like that had a bunch of TOR reports. 

Also 06/02/2012 lol

Those look like the hefty ones in the analogs. Lots of pretty lame results in there too...

4/16 was a high risk in NC heh. :P

I dunno, CIPS just grabs a snapshot. You can have a trough look similar at a certain time with a much different result.  The leadup to that was much different plus there was a low that rode up the east side of the Apps that day.

I dunno, CIPS just grabs a snapshot. You can have a trough look similar at a certain time with a much different result.  The leadup to that was much different plus there was a low that rode up the east side of the Apps that day.

Yeah I mean I doubt we have anything super major tomorrow. But perhaps first good shot at something "decent" for our area for the year? Perhaps. 

How funny then that wind ends up being our most common severe hazard ;)

I actually can't remember the last time I saw hail. Had to have been in SNE because I haven't seen any here. Tomorrow could be interesting. Unlike winter, where I just care about what ends up falling, for severe it is all about the tracking for me.

I haven't heard thunder either this year. I am really going to miss seeing storms in the distance from my (old) balcony.

It's usually very localized around here. I've seen hail maybe 5 times in my life, if that.

We did have a legitimate hail storm hit in June of 2010. I took some pictures, considering I'll probably never see anything like it again. Most of them were 1-1.5" in diameter. I still have this hailstone in my freezer..

35inchhailstone.jpg

It's usually very localized around here. I've seen hail maybe 5 times in my life, if that.

We did have a legitimate hail storm hit here in June of 2010. I took some pictures, considering I'll probably never see anything like it again. These were 1-1.5" in diameter.

I still have this hailstone in my freezer..

Just the nature of how hail works tends to make it very localized - esp around here. Hail core goes up and then comes down and then takes a bit to regenerate (if it does at all). A lot of times around here you get the initial pulse up that produces good and then it's pretty meager on subsequent pulses. 

Just the nature of how hail works tends to make it very localized - esp around here. Hail core goes up and then comes down and then takes a bit to regenerate (if it does at all). A lot of times around here you get the initial pulse up that produces good and then it's pretty meager on subsequent pulses.

Yeah, I've noticed that the more discrete updrafts/cells seem to be harder to come by on this side of the mountains, and when they do happen they tend to be smaller & conglomerate pretty quickly.

We did have a legitimate hail storm hit in June of 2010. I took some pictures, considering I'll probably never see anything like it again. Most of them were 1-1.5" in diameter. I still have this hailstone in my freezer..

35inchhailstone.jpg

I have seen hail here in PG plenty of times.Normally very small scale though and does not do much damage.

35inchhailstone.jpg

I have seen hail here in PG plenty of times.Normally very small scale though and does not do much damage.

Hail can be very destructive....I hope the local area doesn't have to go through that once again like the LaPlata supercell from 2002. And there were other episodes regionwide since, especially in central Virginia.

Archived