• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

May be ending our school journalism banquet early tonight. Hate to cancel since the kids paid money, but I also don't want baseball hail hitting my car or theirs, much less a tornado bearing down on us. Apparently they had to end it early last year when they had it due to a tornado warning. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, due to this, the principal's office made me reschedule our journalism banquet tonight. Luckily they had not started cooking so we could. At least my car will be in the garage. Keller ISD is canceling all after school events past 6 p.m.

Based on surface obs and the 1-min Sat scans, forcing should increase enough to fire the dryline in the next couple of hours. Childress down to Big Spring area?

Cells rapidly going off near Big Spring, possibly more concerning, cell trying to fire SE of Abilene. That whole area down south of Abilene is very agitated looking. 

Cells rapidly going off near Big Spring, possibly more concerning, cell trying to fire SE of Abilene. That whole area down south of Abilene is very agitated looking. 

The ones near Abilene not strong by any means, but holding on.  Looks like the lift hasn't reached them yet.  FWD mentioned how strong the lift was moving in, those storms out by Big Spring are behind the dryline.

Edit:  Latest scan of radar, looks like lift might be moving in, uptick in activity now around that area SE of Abilene.  Looking outside it appears the clouds are starting to get some upward motion to them as well, so cap might finally be lifting.

Riding train north from Dallas and don't really see any signs that the cap is giving up. Maybe off to the SW but not really seeing any towering.

Well, depending on perspective, it is starting to get that hazy look out here where the tops are blowing off anvils to the west and the LLJ is pushing cumulus off to the north at about 30 knots. That's a good sign for us if we are looking for action.

The PDS has me spooked. First time I've thought about Jarrell in a while.

That first set of cells that came in west of Ft Worth were demolished by the warm layer.  There should be a few more chances over the next couple hours...  possibly one or two finally overcomes and goes bonkers, but that line is going to be hard charging out of the west... 00z sounding will be interesting.  If the EML has not eroded they may consider dropping the tornado watch for a severe thunderstorm watch, or at least drop the PDS tornado probs in lieu of wind probs.

2016042700.72249.skewt.parc.gif

Cap is weakening but still present.  Also the warm layer has moved up some.  Pretty nice turning of the winds down low, but the meridional flow aloft suggests that anything that busts through completely should form segments quickly.  Still I think the embedded QLCS tornado potential is substantial with that look and a strengthening LLJ.

Archived