SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS is just hideous! Less than 0.25" of rain and maybe only one or two more freezes at DFW this month. It really can't get much worse than that for the last two weeks of January. Oh, did I mention it has us in the 70s on February 1st!

I know I can be a pessimist, but it's not unrealistic to think that the all time record of fewest freezes in a winter (14 last in 2011-2012) is in danger. Given a freeze tonight would put us at 9 so far.

I know I can be a pessimist, but it's not unrealistic to think that the all time record of fewest freezes in a winter (14 last in 2011-2012) is in danger. Given a freeze tonight would put us at 9 so far.

I think we just need to get past these next 2 or 3 weeks and then things should turn. Hopefully, we can score the last part of the winter.

If they get a big time Nor'easter it would certainly cancel out the general storm trend so far.

Hk5o2M9.png

This system still has a good bit of bust potential but the overall state of the atmosphere has calmed some and that should help the models not be so flippant. One of the many big differences between what is being modeled now vs the winter so far is there is a nice cold HP to the N of the system as it moves into the MA. There has been lower heights over the Great Lakes and SE Canada much of this cooler stretch.

GFS did pretty good leading up to Saturday's storm and it is now hinting at another one next week for us. The last two runs have shown 3-6" from the Hill Country through E TX next Tuesday. I am sure the models will fluctuate plenty over the next week but at least it is not 300+ hours out and it has shown up on consecutive runs. Now I say that it will prob show 55 and dry on the 12Z.

Things look bleak... A repeat of last winter might be a best case scenario at this point. Hope the last part of February or early March can deliver something.

You see the 300+ hour 12Z GFS storm? 6"+ for most all of us in northern TX and a 15" bullseye over NE TX. Ill take that one  :santa:

You see the 300+ hour 12Z GFS storm? 6"+ for most all of us in northern TX and a 15" bullseye over NE TX. Ill take that one  :santa:

That would be nice! It cuts a little too far inland as it goes up the East Coast or it could give Jonas a run for its money. The time frame is a little sooner than I was thinking but not that far off. It looks like things could start to change in our favor around the 7th and then there looks to be a 3 or so week window of winter opportunity. However, we probably still have a couple of weeks of boredom to endure before then.   

Not a huge TWC fan, although WU looks promising (am usually at work)...but the geek chat between Cantore and Siedel on Louisiana Ave was pretty epic.  This bombe looks like a Top 2 All Timer. One of the family was in Texas inspecting facilities and had to cut and run early before the place shut down...took the 7 am flight from IAH to Dulles fortunately, because this thing won up harder and faster.  

Flights are now being suspended.

That would be nice! It cuts a little too far inland as it goes up the East Coast or it could give Jonas a run for its money. The time frame is a little sooner than I was thinking but not that far off. It looks like things could start to change in our favor around the 7th and then there looks to be a 3 or so week window of winter opportunity. However, we probably still have a couple of weeks of boredom to endure before then.   

I agree that that storm is a tad earlier than I would expect and it will likely get pushed back on future runs. I have been expecting the Feb 10-Mar 10 period to be the sweet spot. Selfishly I hope it does get scooted back some because I am planning to go up to NM to play in the snow in early Feb and I would prefer the snow to be confined to the mountains for the drive up and back.

Archived