• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL: December 24-27th Potential

earthlight

as depicted i think this is a perfect run for us (im in commack). but we dont have much wiggle room west. still, i think the final solution ends up east of this offering, blending with the others. i really like where we are at this time. north shore also helps.

Hopefully it does end up slightly E of the current run. Could set us up for some nice banding off the sound. Starting to get fun.....

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and some of that isnt snow....due north tracks from Jacksonville to ACY arent the best for all snow events for the coast.....the winners here will be the Catskills and Poconos (if it happens like the EURO shows)

from greatest to least

euro1-1.jpg

dark orange 2-2.5

green 1.75-2

pink 1.5-1.75

purple 1.25-1.5

yellow 1-1.25

and 63 years to the day of the great 12/26/47 NYC storm. Does anyone have data on that storm?

sounds like low snow ratios in NJ...NYC area but who cares right??? lol what an amazing storm if it were to verify. The implications of well over a foot of heavy wet snow combined with tropical storm force winds would be catasrophic.

and some of that isnt snow....due north tracks from Jacksonville to ACY arent the best for all snow events for the coast.....the winners here will be the Catskills and Poconos (if it happens like the EURO shows)

i respectfully disagree. verbatim...the twin forks do have some issues, as does maybe the very south shore. i dont see any temp issues with a track like that for anyone north of the LIE and west of wading river. and i certainly disagree with the winners being so far inland as the catskills/poconos. if anything, jackpots witgh a storm like this i would think would be JUST inland. northern westchester, northern new jersey, rockland county, etc.

Was just looking at Belmar, NJ (KBLM) numbers. While they get 1.66" QPF, at the height of the storm, 2m temps on the ECMWF soar to 4.4C, even though 850s are at -2C. Verbatim, the ground is above freezing for the entirety of the storm.

ACY gets nearly as warm at the surface with 1.86" total QPF.

Yeah...verbatim it's a huge hit and then potentially rain for a few hrs. But I am not worried...this solution is ridiculous.

Earthlight is this solution out of the realm of realistic possibilities with this storm though? Its the euro and its superior though but it would have to go perfect to get this to verify correct?

i respectfully disagree. verbatim...the twin forks do have some issues, as does maybe the very south shore. i dont see any temp issues with a track like that for anyone north of the LIE and west of wading river. and i certainly disagree with the winners being so far inland as the catskills/poconos. if anything, jackpots witgh a storm like this i would think would be JUST inland. northern westchester, northern new jersey, rockland county, etc.

that is fair- i just took a look at the 850 temps and they are close from C LI to NYC proper....still below 0C

eitherw ay its an awesome depiction and I hope it plays out with that 60MB diff between HP and LP....would be AWESOME to see.

Was just looking at Belmar, NJ (KBLM) numbers. While they get 1.66" QPF, at the height of the storm, 2m temps on the ECMWF soar to 4.4C, even though 850s are at -2C. Verbatim, the ground is above freezing for the entirety of the storm.

ACY gets nearly as warm at the surface with 1.86" total QPF.

surface temps tend to be too high on the models every time, especially this far out. i would be more concerned with wind direction as the storm progresses. gotta keep a northerly component if you live on the NJ coast.

Earthlight is this solution out of the realm of realistic possibilities with this storm though? Its the euro and its superior though but it would have to go perfect to get this to verify correct?

It's not out of the realm of realistic possibilities at all, and I do think it would still be a big snowstorm for most people especially NYC and west.

And yes, the Euro has been consistent here..but this is the furthest west and most amplified it's been yet.

Archived