Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

2.3" at CMH.

Over performing here. Heavy snow right now almost an inch down.

yea that makes sense, the gradient was pretty sharp.  Places I-70 and south didn't changeover til well after dark.   Schools actually cancelled from 3" of snow...wtf?? lol.  Goodluck down there...you've had a good few days.

So what do you think about this weekend?    GGEM going crazy, 06zGFS ens also have some juiced solutions,  Euro not biting, just keeping everything suppressing south and east.

edit: actually euro op is better than I thought.  has precip streaming northeast to about I-70.  

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea that makes sense, the gradient was pretty sharp. Places I-70 and south didn't changeover til well after dark. Schools actually cancelled from 3" of snow...wtf?? lol. Goodluck down there...you've had a good few days.

So what do you think about this weekend? GGEM going crazy, 06zGFS ens also have some juiced solutions, Euro not biting, just keeping everything suppressing south and east.

edit: actually euro op is better than I thought. has precip streaming northeast to about I-70.

That storm depends on the SW US cut off ejecting out at the perfect time ahead of the arctic air this weekend, so I think it'll tough to pin down more than 3-4 days out. But, the models last night all trended towards bringing it out a little quicker which is good. I'm just worried that if it all comes out it'll cut just a little too far north. So we'll see. Just have to watch how models trend WRT that SW US cutoff I guess.

That storm depends on the SW US cut off ejecting out at the perfect time ahead of the arctic air this weekend, so I think it'll tough to pin down more than 3-4 days out. But, the models last night all trended towards bringing it out a little quicker which is good. I'm just worried that if it all comes out it'll cut just a little too far north. So we'll see. Just have to watch how models trend WRT that SW US cutoff I guess.

JB mentioned this in his vid this morning.   He thinks the models will trend to a 'bigger' piece coming out in front but not necessarily the whole package.   Also depends on what happens with the northern branch and how fast it progresses.   At least something to track.  Looking at past climo this winter, it's hard to bet on a strong phased solution....but that's got to change eventually...I think. 

JB mentioned this in his vid this morning.   He thinks the models will trend to a 'bigger' piece coming out in front but not necessarily the whole package.   Also depends on what happens with the northern branch and how fast it progresses.   At least something to track.  Looking at past climo this winter, it's hard to bet on a strong phased solution....but that's got to change eventually...I think. 

Look at the East Coast the last few days. Eventually we'll get a phase this far west, just hope it doesn't take the storm too far north :lol:

Yea, I hate seeing something that good for us so soon. You know that isn't what's gonna happen.

Definitely disturbing to see the gfs come north, but I recall last year it was too far n with one or two southern storms in this timeframe.  For us folks in the southern flanks, we need the northern stream to kick some ass and get out in front without getting too far out and suppressing everything.  We need that arctic high to make some inroads.  

It's just nice to finally have something on the radar other than a damn clipper lol.  

Definitely disturbing to see the gfs come north, but I recall last year it was too far n with one or two southern storms in this timeframe.  For us folks in the southern flanks, we need the northern stream to kick some ass and get out in front without getting too far out and suppressing everything.  We need that arctic high to make some inroads.  

It's just nice to finally have something on the radar other than a damn clipper lol.  

I'll admit half the fun is tracking these things, even if it doesn't work out ... unless the euro forecasts 2' - 3' and it busts.

240 hr euro totals

and of course this will be the one time the euro finds the nut....after all those pink stripes coming up through central ohio all winter long... :facepalm:

If you stare at it long enough....close your eyes for 5 seconds....then open them and look at a white wall, you can actually see a tongue.

post-622-0-67101300-1422386605_thumb.jpg

240 hr euro totals

and of course this will be the one time the euro finds the nut....after all those pink stripes coming up through central ohio all winter long... :facepalm:

If you stare at it long enough....close your eyes for 5 seconds....then open them and look at a white wall, you can actually see a tongue.

TBH, I'd rather see that this far out than a direct hit. Now it's just a matter of which way it will wobble.

TBH, I'd rather see that this far out than a direct hit. Now it's just a matter of which way it will wobble.

I know, just joking around.  5 years ago that op run would have been the kiss of death because the euro rarely came back southeast.  It's a different world now....anyone's guess outside 72 hours

I know, just joking around.  5 years ago that op run would have been the kiss of death because the euro rarely came back southeast.  It's a different world now....anyone's guess outside 72 hours

Agreed. This is more of a crapshoot than ever before, especially with the new GFS thrown in the mix.

You Ohio guys must feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. It seems that every possible good hit ends up involving thermo issues.  Ohio must be the Indian word meaning WTOD. Seriously, I'm not trolling, as I only live about 30 miles from the Ohio line, so I feel your pain. Hint: Ride the Euro, toss the GFS.

this thing is a nail biter, although I have to admit I bit my finger tip off when I saw the ggem.    However, before us I-70 thermal riders jump off the bridge, you have to dive deeper into the models.   Then things don't look so bad.  In fact I'm convinced we have just as much chance of watching the best go south of us as we do getting warm tongued.

Sure anything can happen but that ggem run is probably horsesh*t.  In fact looking at the Canadian ens the low goes from around new Orleans off VA, with an inverted trough into WV..... just a tad southeast of the OP :lol:

As far as the euro, I actually liked the run, it made me want to sew my fingertip back on.   It has a different look too, it's kind of like a bowling ball west to east event.   That would be a nice juicy, spread the wealth storm.    Also, the euro ens is southeast of the OP...surprise surprise.

I like the gfs too, not as crazy as the 00z obviously, but the 06z was better for CMH already coming in a bit southeast/colder/weaker then the 00z...  Ensembles are mostly southeast and weaker, with only a few amped solutions.

As far as the special team model suite....the nogaps misses us completely with a weak low over the lakes and virtually no southern low.  Same thing with the UK.

So bottom line, this thing is totally open.  

Looks like I'm going to have to take on the role of head cheerleader for this one.  We've totally lost Jb. :lol:

this thing is a nail biter, although I have to admit I bit my finger tip off when I saw the ggem. However, before us I-70 thermal riders jump off the bridge, you have to dive deeper into the models. Then things don't look so bad. In fact I'm convinced we have just as much chance of watching the best go south of us as we do getting warm tongued.

Sure anything can happen but that ggem run is probably horsesh*t. In fact looking at the Canadian ens the low goes from around new Orleans off VA, with an inverted trough into WV..... just a tad southeast of the OP :lol:

As far as the euro, I actually liked the run, it made me want to sew my fingertip back on. It has a different look too, it's kind of like a bowling ball west to east event. That would be a nice juicy, spread the wealth storm. Also, the euro ens is southeast of the OP...surprise surprise.

I like the gfs too, not as crazy as the 00z obviously, but the 06z was better for CMH already coming in a bit southeast/colder then the 00z... Ensembles are mostly southeast and weaker, with only a few amped solutions.

As far as the special team model suite....the nogaps misses us completely with a weak low over the lakes and virtually no southern low. Same thing with the UK.

So bottom line, this thing is totally open.

Looks like I'm going to have to take on the role of head cheerleader for this one. We've totally lost Jb. :lol:

I agree w/ you. The amounts & temps I see from 0z Euro look pretty good. Keep the faith!

On board here too. I'm curious what the NAM will do once this thing is in its time frame. Juicy or no?

It will b something strange 4 a few runs until it gets within its wheelhouse, which at this point may be 12 hours?! I think it had some crazy amounts showing for the blizzard all the way up to the event.

Archived