joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mighty toasty indeed. The usual roadside trees are colorful this weekend, but the woods seem mostly green... maybe like 10% of peak.

Pool still open :thumbsup:

I actually visited the Hudson Valley this weekend (around the Woodstock vicinity), and I had to say the colors were gorgeous. Definitely quite a bit of color in those trees, as I drove up the Thruway and Route 84. Now, I'm back on LI, and as usual, nothing but green!

Yessiree! Take a ride up the Taconic this weekend, it should be really good north of Rt 6 especially the high country through Fahnestock and north from there. By the time you get up to Julians area it will be nearly perfect I think.

Aye, the color seems to be increasing exponentially. It's a shame the real nice color only lasts a handful of days each year - there are literally hundreds of places in the Catskills and HV alone I'd love to visit at peak foliage, but I'm usually hardpressed to bag more than a few. I guess it wouldn't be as enchanting if it lingered.

It's getting good in a hurry.  Today was quite a bit better than Sunday.  Gonna head out for a ride after dinner tonight so should get to see what the drop rate is like in the woods away from the roads and open spaces.  Hopefully for the "downstaters" it's not too significant yet so it holds out for the weekend.

You guys beat me to it.. The colors this year are a good 5-7 days ahead of last yr. At this rate we are gonna peak within the next 5 days.

I was impressed again this morning with how much color we have out there, in my area we are more than 5-7 days ahead based on my records, which indicate at least 10 days ahead.  Of course "peak" is an arbitrary thing though. That's a downside of getting rain now, it will increase the leaf drop.

Agreed on all counts, though that batch of precip over NJ is looking rather juicy over the past few radar frames. Might be good for several tenths of an inch if it doesn't slide too far east.

Incidentally, Chicago reported light snow this morning... it begins!

the big news is going to be the overnight temps the next couple of days - wouldn't be surprised if some locations reach the 30's

Agreed on all counts, though that batch of precip over NJ is looking rather juicy over the past few radar frames. Might be good for several tenths of an inch if it doesn't slide too far east.

Incidentally, Chicago reported light snow this morning... it begins!

I'm too far west for that good batch to the south but it looks like you could be in a decent spot I'm guessing.

Archived