• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Power to the EPO

weatherwiz

So many times we often hear about the NAO and so many worry about the NAO and predominately the NAO and obviously for good measures.  The NAO is known to have major control over the pattern here across the United States, especially here in the Northeast.  Everyone always hopes and wants that -NAO in place to keep colder air in place and everyone wants that -NAO as a system is coming up the coast.  

Well this winter if you were to just look at the NAO and only the NAO you would probably end up grabbing the noose.  Not only was the NAO positive for the winter as a whole but it was pretty darn positive and the placement of the strongest anomalies would have favored ridging across the eastern US...all in all...you'd probably expect a horrid winter here.  

Well then the EPO came along and had something to say about this idea.  Not only did we see a -EPO in place this winter, but a fairly decent -EPO and the placement of the strongest anomalies centered over the Alaska and Bering Strait was perfect as this allowed for ridging to occur across the western-tier of the United States and into western Canada up into Alaska...this lead to a trough across the central/eastern United States, allowing cold Arctic air to funnel into these areas.  

The combination of the pretty -EPO and quite positive NAO also allowed for a very active STJ and very active storm track at times.  

For this winter at lest, all hail the EPO!

bwR24vfqLN.png

Wiz, that EPO 300 miles further east would have bought us 40% more snow and muted some of the cutters.

You think so?  

I agree it would certainly mute some of the cutters, however, further east and you'd be looking at a storm track that was also further east...perhaps too far east?  

I think if we saw the +NAO set up further north that would have lead to stronger ridging there in the Atlantic meaning a deeper trough to our west which could have really been of benefit to us...that would work to mute cutters but at the same time keeping the storm track very active and very favorable for us...may have also lead to some highly intense systems with potential for even stronger cyclogenesis than we saw with some of the storms.  

You think so?

I agree it would certainly mute some of the cutters, however, further east and you'd be looking at a storm track that was also further east...perhaps too far east?

That would have mimicked 1993-94 better. The folks in the Midwest had a banner snow year.

That would have mimicked 1993-94 better. The folks in the Midwest had a banner snow year.

How was that winter here?  I know one of those years was pretty epic across New England but that was maybe 1992-1993?  One of those years was 2nd ranked for BDL in terms of seasonal snow...over 90''.  

The EPO is nice and it certainly helps cold...but it doesn't always guarantee great snows. The 1980s had the most negative/strongest EPO winters of any decade...and look how that worked out for snow. :lol:

Yeah true!

Just to clarify though I wasn't saying that -EPO correlated to more snows...was stating that given the state of the NAO the EPO really helped

idk...with a -NAO it could have looked more like 76-77.

The -NAO is a better predictor for big snowstorms, but the EPO is a better predictor for cold, at least as far as I know.

I understand it as you don't want to have a long lasting or persistent -NAO? It's much more preferred to have the NAO transition to negative just prior to a storm?

I'm sure strength of the phase along with orientation also plays a factor.

I understand it as you don't want to have a long lasting or persistent -NAO? It's much more preferred to have the NAO transition to negative just prior to a storm?

I'm sure strength of the phase along with orientation also plays a factor.

It does.  Although generally speaking, a -NAO winter is better than a +NAO winter.  I believe it's difficult to have as strong as a -EPO as we've had and have a strong -NAO at the same time.  The regions are too close to have a strong ridge in both spots.  

Yeah true!

Just to clarify though I wasn't saying that -EPO correlated to more snows...was stating that given the state of the NAO the EPO really helped

EPO is def a better predictor of cold than the NAO...esp for our region. EPO is big for temps...for snow, the NAO is bigger, but as we've seen this year, we can still do just fine without a -NAO...even in more neutral EPO years with a +NAO we've done fine, like '07-'08.

But most of the time, we certainly prefer a -NAO for snow.

Archived