Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/ Western PA Part III

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will sacrifice this storm if we can atleast get a storm that drops atleast 8 inches. Its November and we can't get fringed all winter two years in a row.

Yeah, in January and February when we're getting pasted by Miller A's, and areas north and west are getting scraps, we'll laugh at this storm. Lol

GFS still showing some post frontal precip tomorrow, we'll see how quickly the surface cold air rushes in though.

0Z Nam is ever so slightly colder. Instead of getting to 37 temp gets to 35 or so. I am guessing if we can keep some longer periods of snow we may see and inch or 2 mostly from the city North. I am guessing we change to mostly snow after noon tomorrow but I wonder how much precip falls after that.

0Z Nam is ever so slightly colder. Instead of getting to 37 temp gets to 35 or so. I am guessing if we can keep some longer periods of snow we may see and inch or 2 mostly from the city North. I am guessing we change to mostly snow after noon tomorrow but I wonder how much precip falls after that.

That's going to be the issue.

So Thunder how much snow do you think Pittsburgh actually receives. If any

Well, the warm air advection is still occurring, but the lower levels were not saturated when the precip began falling, so the evaporational cooling probably allowed PIT to cool a bit.  However, last report has air temp and dew point both at 32F, so we're saturated...no more evaporational cooling.  The HRRR seems to be doing a good job with the rain/snow line so far, and it has much of Allegheny Co. switching to rain by 6z/1 a.m.  I'll go with that.  Little in the way of snow as KPIT is reporting a vis of 2 mi...fairly light stuff.  Axis of best snow looks to run from Lawrence Co. to SE Mercer, Venango and Warren Cos. with perhaps 4-6".  Another I-80 special. :)

I love Radarscope. This precip depiction is very accurate. 

Snow is still coming down. I must be the only one getting snow or every one is sleeping. 

Agreed.  I remember RadarScope doing well in the late Nov. storm last year, too.

MAG over in the C Pa. thread reminded me of the correlation coefficient product available since the NWS upgraded the radars to dual-pol a few years ago.  It may be factored in to the RadarScope Precipitation Depiction product-I don't know.  But you can use the correlation coefficient as a guide to determine where there's a transition zone.  Strictly rain or snow show up as high CC's, say ~0.97 or higher.  Melting/gloppy snow would have a lower CC, between 0.85 and 0.95.  (Source:  http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/downloads/Dual_Pol/CC_v1.pdf)   

The College of DuPage has a nice Nexrad Doppler radar site that provides the correlation coefficient among other variables.  http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=PBZ-N0C-1-6   Notice the line of lower CC (yellow-green colors) moving northward during the loop across Allegheny, southern Armstrong and Indiana Cos.  That's probably the rain/snow line moving northward.

MAG over in the C Pa. thread reminded me of the correlation coefficient product available since the NWS upgraded the radars to dual-pol a few years ago.  It may be factored in to the RadarScope Precipitation Depiction product-I don't know.  But you can use the correlation coefficient as a guide to determine where there's a transition zone.  Strictly rain or snow show up as high CC's, say ~0.97 or higher.  Melting/gloppy snow would have a lower CC, between 0.85 and 0.95.  (Source:  http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/downloads/Dual_Pol/CC_v1.pdf)   

The College of DuPage has a nice Nexrad Doppler radar site that provides the correlation coefficient among other variables.  http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=PBZ-N0C-1-6   Notice the line of lower CC (yellow-green colors) moving northward during the loop across Allegheny, southern Armstrong and Indiana Cos.  That's probably the rain/snow line moving northward.

Pretty accurate. My temp has fallen to 33 but I am getting more of a drizzle now. I think also the lightening of the precip has also caused the change to drizzle. Looking at the lates HRR  Allegheny County will switch to snow after noon tomorrow. The precip will also be lighter when the switch over occurs.

Pretty accurate. My temp has fallen to 33 but I am getting more of a drizzle now. I think also the lightening of the precip has also caused the change to drizzle. Looking at the lates HRR Allegheny County will switch to snow after noon tomorrow. The precip will also be lighter when the switch over occurs.

It'll be pretty much the usual for this area. By the time enough cold air gets drawn in to change things to all snow, most of the moisture will be gone. As Mike Tomlin would say, it is what it is.

Archived